• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Column About Nothing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I too am looking forward to an Enma-Kun release. However when I look on NIS America's anime page it seems to be missing. I really hope it comes out! I also didn't know they were releasing Zakuro. I better save up for that...

I've got Panty & Stocking pre-ordered.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

For example, one of the last shows I saw was Heroic Age. It's not a particularly great series, to be honest, but I enjoyed the scale of the space/monster battles. Even though the animation and character designs were only mediocre, a couple of its sci-fi/fantasy concepts were at least interesting enough to keep my attention.

It's a shame that Heroic Age never became as popular as it should have as that was one of the best mecha series of that year (along with SRW: OG: Divine Wars, and Gurren Lagann). It was a great concept that actually lived up to it (Greek Mythology as told by giant robots).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Sadly I don't have as much time for anime and manga as I used to. I should have been crazier and spread myself out more years ago.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Exactly in the same vein as Mike's Best Buy experience, Forbes had a great article a few months back on how Best Buy has subverted the customer experience in favor of pushy upselling: Why Best Buy Is Going Out of Business... Gradually. Larry Downes writes:
Quote:
Their “people” are not knowledgeable; they are annoying.  The store “format” is entirely generic; perhaps a little confusing.  The stores and Websites are not “preferred destinations”—they are destinations, at best, of inertia, or in the case of exclusives, destinations of the only resort.  The “shopping environment” is the opposite of fun and informative.  It’s depressing and humiliating, as in “I can’t believe I had to go to Best Buy to get this.”

Robert X. Cringely piles on further in Best Buy Is Doomed:
Quote:
Best Buy’s tumble started when CompUSA and Circuit City went out of business.  Normally something like that should have been a good thing for business, but Best Buy totally blew it.  Best Buy killed both of those other electronics retailers, but then they didn’t keep on doing what they had been doing so well.  They replaced their mid range lines of consumer electronics with low cost, house brand junk.  They kept their name brand lines, but only stocked the high end stuff and priced it at a premium, abandoning the middle market that had been their traditional strength.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of Sekirei, who's watching that show anyway? I mean, the reasons for its popularity-- both of them-- are obvious, but I checked it out on Netflix and was mostly struck by its homely character designs and cast of characters who just seemed dumb and hapless. Do you watch Sekirei? Like, did you see it at the store, and pick it up, and look at the cover, and go "Hmmm, I wonder what this is about?" Or could you just tell? Did you only have to glance at the cover, and immediately think THANK YOU ANIME, YOU HAVE GIVEN ME THE EXACT THING I WANT YET AGAIN.

I watched Sekirei. And I like it. I know it's basically crudely drawn girls with giant gazongas, but I'm kinda hooked on the story. I want to know the backstory and how it will end. The second season left open the possibility for a final season, and I'm hoping so, otherwise I'll have another manga series to track down. And HS DxD isn't that bad of a show either.

I'ven't meet the Direct TV guy (of course I'ven't been to Best Buy in more than a year) but I the last time I was there I met the Apple Guy. He had a similar reaction when I told him I perfer to run Linux.

Quote:
Man, remember when it was an acceptable business strategy to release stuff like Tokyo Project and Madonna? Actually, remember Tokyo Project? Because Jesus, I seriously don't...God, what the hell is this thing? What's it about? When did it come out? Did anyone out there see Tokyo Project at the store and think "Ooooh, this looks good!" I may have bought Eiken (IT WAS FOR RESEARCH, OKAY) but I didn't buy this

Well, I now something new to watch. Tokyo Project. Should be an 'experience' at least. And I've never heard of this Eiken show, but it sounds like it would be fun. Or horrible pain. Either way, it can't be worse than Love Love, right? (Oh god, tell me it's not worse than Love Love)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Mike writes:
Quote:
Speaking of things nobody bought: What anime are you NOT buying, both literally and figuratively? It just seems like an interesting question to me; what anime do you spy on the shelves, darling of critics and fans alike, and think "Meh."?

I don't know that I would have thought of it without prompting, but yeah… Redline. I hate to think of Justin and Zac reading this, but their enthusiasm for this title on the podcast is exactly why I'm not interested in it. Basically, it seems like their excitement comes from the "film school" parts of the brain: visual kineticism, techincal merits, a heroic (if not insane) personal and professional commitment to the work… all nice things, but in the end, the trailer and the clips I've seen in AMVs make me feel like it's 1993 and I'm watching "Aeon Flux" on "Liquid Television" and admiring its visual coolness… which works in 5-minute dollops, but for which I am too old to commit to an entire feature film.

Sorry, but um, hi… story?

The Redline push makes me wish I could draw, because I can imagine something along the line of an editorial cartoon:

Left panel: What ANN thinks of everything I like: low angle mid-shot (enough to really get those nostrils onscreen) on a professorial type with powdered wig and ruffled collar, looking disdainfully down from a plush chair upon whose side is adorned the plaque "Royal Endowed Chair of Poot-Snootery, Wessex-upon-Thames, c. 1658", with a word ballon: "…once again, we are subjected to the dreadfully familiar tropes, antiquated attitudes, and pat resolutions, pandering to a viewer who has no life and should probably be in therapy, if not prison."

Right panel: What ANN thinks of Redline: straight-on closeup drawn in the style of the old "Car-toons" magazine, or Peter Bagge in full-on crazy mode, with vein-surging eyes bulging from their sockets, hairs standing on end, facial muscles contracting to their breaking points. Word balloon bolds semingly random words: "Redline! Race car! Vrrrrooooom, whhrrrrrrr, screech… BLAM! SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT! Downshift, ggggrrrrrrrrrr!! SMAAAAAASSSSSHHHHH!!!"

So, um, yeah, a pass on Redline. FWIW, I'm watching Kids on the Slope and Madoka Magica too. Also, I just finished Angel Beats! (oh what could have been…), and just last night found the one good episode of Kanon.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

It's a shame that Heroic Age never became as popular as it should have as that was one of the best mecha series of that year (along with SRW: OG: Divine Wars, and Gurren Lagann). It was a great concept that actually lived up to it (Greek Mythology as told by giant robots).

I still think Heroic Age never become popular because it was overshadowed by Gurren Lagann. I'm still waiting for it to enter a Super Robot Wars game so the "SRW Effect" can kick in.

Quote:
So how about it, Viz? Where the hell is my Tiger and Bunny?!

I'd like to say the same thing about InuYasha: The Final Act. That thing's been licensed for YEARS. I doubt releasing it now will do any good as that series has it's day in popularity. Had it been released back when it was first licensed, maybe they could have made a profit.

I'd also like to say that about things like Lagrange as well. Hell, they could be sharing news on the first season's release but alas, I doubt it'll ever be released because Viz and it's policy of "We'll release it if it does well in streams." Sad to say, according to a comment on the post for Accel World's first episode on their Facebook wall, that ain't lookin good.

Quote:
Speaking of childhood, similar to how you mention, "Where's my Tiger and Bunny?" (which I agree with 100%), I'd also like to know, "When the hell can I finally buy all of Gargoyles?" ARGH, so frustrating!

EVERY TIME.
I know the feel. Would love to own it but due to the drama over the license constantly changing. I'd give my soul for a complete series release of Gargoyles.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Sun May 06, 2012 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Polycell wrote:
I personally never had any interest in Red Line either. Everybody keeps talking about how superspecialawesome it is, but nothing makes me want to see it(or even read the review, for that matter). Maybe it's the fact that nobody talks about the story or the characters and I'm not the type to watch something for the effects. I'm also not interested in the new Lupin III series, probably because I liked the one Adult Swim showed and I know it's nothing like that.

I watched it, and I felt it was average at best. It looked nice and animated well, but the story made no sense and there was little reason to care about the characters. If all you care about is mindless action, maybe you'd like it, but I care more about character interaction than anything and it really lacked that.

Yet you watch moe anime.

Anyway, Redline's story really can't make sense because Redline doesn't HAVE a story that much. It's a "grindhouse" film--you come for the visuals, not the story.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I live in Japan, so no simulcasting for me. I have no TV, and would need to buy a satellite to get channels if I did, and then need to get a recorder of some kind to watch any of the shows I want to, which all air shortly after midnight (I work early every morning).

So what've I been watching? Well, I've been re-watching a lot of Miyazaki that I rent from Geo since they have subtitles. I've been watching Sailor Moon in Japanese, again rented. I had my parents mail some anime I ordered in America via care packages, so Revolutionary Girl Utena, Redline (I guess I'm the only person on the forums who really liked it?), and Escaflowne, which was an impulse buy from a sale on Rightstuf, since it's my first anime. I also bought Yuuasa Masaaki's directorial debut, Mind Game, which has R2 English subtitles.

I have been doing my best to avoid fansubs, save of really old series where I don't trust my Japanese to handle technical jargon, i.e. the LotGH prequels. I'm hoping that as my comprehension continues to improve I can rent some classics like Space Battleship Yamato, or finally continuing Zeta Gundam. I try to avoid anything that would raise eyebrows, because as one of maybe 10 white people in the entire city, people remember me, and judge where I work accordingly. So yeah, the legal versions of Kara no Kyoukai that I could rent remain untouched. Sad

Anyway, that's my sort of unusual anime situation right now. I do have a ton of unlicensed manga to read though, so I'm not complaining.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:

Well, I've ignored the new Lupin because the critical acclaim I've seen so far says the two main reasons for watching are: (1) pre-existing sentimental attachment to the series and (2) boobs. I'm not really into either of those.

As a female fan of the new Lupin III series who is not interested in the boobs (and by god, there are a lot of them) and who had only seen Castle of Cagliostro prior to watching this series, I can safely say that there are more reasons to watch it than just the two you listed. On a purely superficial level, it's visually captivating. There really is nothing else that LOOKS like it.

But mainly I watch it because of the focus on Fujiko. She comes off very intelligent, knows how to get what she wants, and self-reliant. Yeah, she is nude a lot (understatement?), but as a heterosexual female, I find I don't have a problem with that as much as I would in any other series. Fujiko is sexy and she knows it. She's not some teenage girl, she's not a simpering moe gal being leered at. She is a grown woman and she OWNS her sexiness.

Fanservice, yes, most definitely, but I don't know, maybe it's just me and I'm not noticing some hidden skeevy side to it, but it feels like a more refined fanservice than, say, Queen's Blade.

Does any of this make sense? Does anyone else feel similarly? Can anyone put this in better words than mine?
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, yes, Queen's Blade is exactly what I want. It's an attractive show with a uniquely ridiculous sense of aesthetics, it's not insultingly po-faced in its delivery of what's clearly a piece of tongue in cheek comedy, and the shallow characters are always distinct and just likable enough that I don't mind spending 15-odd minutes getting to know each of them before they have to whip out a bladed weapon and get their clothes cut off... 'cause you know, that's the whole point of the show (aside from selling action figures and hug pillows, I guess). Queen's Blade delivers exactly what it promises - attractive and silly fanservice in the guise of epic fantasy - and I can't fault it for being a brash and amusing piece of exploitation. The show delivers everything it promises and little else, and while I suppose one could always hope for more, I'd rather it promise something and deliver it than bite off more than it can chew and deliver nothing else well for it.

It's more or less the same way that the people around me - reasonable, college educated people with careers and family and good hygiene - occasionally want to sit down with the latest Fast & Furious movie, or catch reruns of Jersey Shore, or marinate "ironically" in reruns of He-Man. It's all shallow, goofy, braindead entertainment designed to make people grin like idiots, and sometimes that's exactly what people want, and need. We all just need different kinds of stripped down BS to make us happy because we all have different levels of BS we find acceptable. Girls in chainmail bikinis locked in mortal combat over a pit of lava? I'm there. Twenty-somethings competing in carnival games to sleep with a second rate pop star? Couldn't get me to care about that crap with a gun to my head. Different strokes, yadda yadda.

And... no. If there is an "Anime Grindhouse" film, it's Kanashimi no Belladonna. Geez, Golgo 13: The Professional, Crying Freeman, or even A-Kite would be MUCH closer to a style-over-substance '70s exploitation film than Redline.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The grindhouse comparison isn't mine, I merely heard it somewhere else and relayed it over here.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
but I care more about character interaction than anything and it really lacked that.

Obviously this is one of those subjective things, but by the end of Redline, I really, really wanted those two to win the race. I got invested in them. And really, in a relatively short, action-based movie, I don't need to be invested in anyone other than the main characters. It isn't the genre for character drama, so I don't expect it.

As for making no sense... I honestly thought a lot of the nonsense was meant to be funny. But again, it's subjective.

In the meantime, allow me to summarize invalidname's argument.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The other surprise was the nature of the special edition itself-- the box is a little weird, and does not comfortably fit on any of my shelves, but the hardcover artbook is delightful.

Welcome to the world of the oddly shaped NIS special edition anime releases. They don't fit on my shelves comfortably, so the few of them I own sit stacked on my desk.

Quote:
Anyway, buying anime by handing people money instead of clicking on the "check out" button made me curious about what was in stock at Best Buy these days, so I went and had a look.

The few Best Buys I've been too, outside of one I go to every week with my friend, seems to only stock mostly newer Funimation titles. ::shrugs::
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Not really, because my argument was about how Redline is being pushed (particularly in light of how other things are ritually trashed here). I'm not criticizing the movie itself because, after seeing the trailer and hearing what people like about it, I decided it wasn't for me. That's the whole point of following on to Mike's question in the column about "what are you not buying."

If you like it, great, but that doesn't make the rest of us wrong for taking a pass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5