• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Column About Nothing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
As far as Tiger & Bunny is concerned, it is seemingly set for a UK release already. There is no doubt it is being dubbed (or maybe already finished being dubbed) because it is listed in the SAG's database.

Are you sure that's the right Tiger & Bunny? With a production date of 2001?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
As far as Tiger & Bunny is concerned, it is seemingly set for a UK release already. There is no doubt it is being dubbed (or maybe already finished being dubbed) because it is listed in the SAG's database.

I don't think that's a production date but a company incorporation or SAG join date or something similar (i.e. that's most likely when Studiopolis became a company - the time frame sounds right to me).
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I read this column and thought this is what Andy Rooney would sound like if he talked about anime...speaking of which RIP Andy Rooney.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

It's odd, but quite a few anime dubs in the SAG signatory database are listed with that year regardless of when the dub was made, and sometimes company names are fake too (though not in the case of Studiopolis). Search other union dubs such as "Haruhi" and "Hellsing" with the same date, and they will come up (though neither was made in 2001 either).
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

It's odd, but quite a few anime dubs in the SAG signatory database are listed with that year regardless of when the dub was made, and sometimes company names are fake too (though not in the case of Studiopolis). Search other union dubs such as "Haruhi" and "Hellsing" with the same date, and they will come up (though neither was made in 2001 either).

I am just assuming you mean Hellsing Ultimate, and not the Hellsing tv series which was made in 2001.
notazaku

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Speaking of things nobody bought: What anime are you NOT buying, both literally and figuratively?

To answer Mike's question about what I'm not watching/buying.
Mike Toole wrote:
I'm usually pretty into anything that garners a lot of critical acclaim, because that stuff is almost always nice and substantial, but the forthcoming Princess Jellyfish left me cold. Something about that show-- the character artwork, maybe-- just rubs me the wrong way.

Seems Mike has a similar problem with Princess Jellyfish to what I have with Redline. More specifically the main character's hair is too damn big in all the artwork I see for the movie. Perhaps that's a silly reason not to watch something, perhaps not, but I really just cannot get past that ridiculous hair. In the end money and time are finite so I tend to spend it on stuff that appeals to me. So no Redline for me. Might as well go see the Avengers again.

Speaking of superheroes, I had a mild interest in Tiger & Bunny when it first aired. I watched the first episode and then decided to wait for a blu-ray (preferably) or dvd release. That might have been a bad idea because now my interest in it has dwindled down to "don't really care". I'll reevaluate my interest in it whenever Viz releases it.

Kids on the Slope/Sakamichi no Apollon looks really good. It's just too bad I have no interest in a quiet show about jazz set in the 1960s. Again I like to spend my time and money on anime I know I'll like. Anything that looks questionable regardless of critical acclaim gets skipped over for better or worse. I did like Sekirei and Queen's Blade though, but I knew exactly what I was getting myself into when I watched those two. Wink
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I am just assuming you mean Hellsing Ultimate, and not the Hellsing tv series which was made in 2001.

Correct. The Hellsing TV series dub was non-union, so it wouldn't be in the SAG's database anyway.
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but the forthcoming Princess Jellyfish left me cold. I know, I know-- a respectable dork eschewing a Noitamina series?! Looks that way. Something about that show-- the character artwork, maybe-- just rubs me the wrong way.

Hmm have you tried watching an episode of it? I'll admit it wasn't my cup of tea originally, but after listening/watching it a few times* on the Funimation Channel (before it got axed) I came to enjoy the show.

*its not my fault their programing is rather repetitive
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're that guy (are there any... girl Queen's Blade fans?)

Yes, quite a number of them actually. What's really amusing is how Seikon no Qwaser and Manyuu Hikenchou can always be easily ignored when they're some of the most ridiculous in terms of sexual imagery in TV anime these days. I love my fanservice anime bursting at the seams good visuals and action.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I remember back in 2004 Best Buy used to have good discounts on the ADV brick packs, so I bought a number of shows from them, but after I found Right Stuf I pretty much stopped going there for anime. Then they had the big anime selloff where half their stores stopped carrying anime, I bought a bunch of stuff then (March 2009). (The scary part is that of the five shows and three movies I bought then (over three years ago) I've only watched one of the movies and none of the TV shows.) Now, not only are they useless for anime but for other things as well. I recently went to one looking for an internal hard drive for my computer and they didn't have a single one in the store.

As for Redline, I enjoyed it immensely. It has a story-one so old it had hair on it when I was young, true-but it does what it does very well. It's pretty much a combination of a futuristic Cannonball Run with the old boxing scenario where a crooked boxer who's been throwing fights decides to defy the Mob and fight for real. It's not intended to be a deep, meaningful story but an entertaining one, with plenty of (intentional) humor.

We recently finished watching Princess Jellyfish at the anime club and I found it to be a very funny show-so much so that I bought the LE set.

Because of my huge backlog of anime on DVD/BD I don't watch much new stuff, and with the NHL playoffs going on I haven't been watching that much overall. The most recent shows I watched were Baccano! and Puella Magi Madoka Magica and I'm 3/4 through with Macross Plus.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Fujiko is sexy and she knows it. She's not some teenage girl, she's not a simpering moe gal being leered at. She is a grown woman and she OWNS her sexiness.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I really enjoy this series as well. Yeah, there's a lot of fanservice and I find the Wuthering Heights song a bit too...noisy...but, I like the storyline and I love Fujiko's portrayal.

Fujiko's (relative) empowerment is refreshing considering the amount of fanservice in the series. She's not playing second fiddle as she does in other Lupin versions. She's out with the boys, trying to steal treasure, and knows that her killer looks are her best weapon in accomplishing this. In many ways, I liken this version of Fujiko to a female version of James Bond - good looks, sex drive and similar high risk missions.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

A Column About Nothing

Speaking of airline food, what is the DEAL with that stuff?!

Harhar, I see what ya did thar! Laughing
(The cliche shtick that Seinfeld made famous.)

As for people buying, anime has its share of lowest common denominators, so there will always be fans buying their fair share. I'm myself not buying because just in the last month, I paid for almost three grand of stuff for my car! (At this point, people spending over 500 bucks for a TV show doesn't seem too bad an idea.)

Lynx Amali wrote:

Quote:
Speaking of childhood, similar to how you mention, "Where's my Tiger and Bunny?" (which I agree with 100%), I'd also like to know, "When the hell can I finally buy all of Gargoyles?" ARGH, so frustrating!

EVERY TIME.
I know the feel. Would love to own it but due to the drama over the license constantly changing. I'd give my soul for a complete series release of Gargoyles.

Chronicles. Really? Confused

vashfanatic wrote:
I try to avoid anything that would raise eyebrows, because as one of maybe 10 white people in the entire city, people remember me, and judge where I work accordingly.

When in Rome, follow the Roman mindset. Laughing

invalidname wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

Not really, because my argument was about how Redline is being pushed (particularly in light of how other things are ritually trashed here). I'm not criticizing the movie itself because, after seeing the trailer and hearing what people like about it, I decided it wasn't for me. That's the whole point of following on to Mike's question in the column about "what are you not buying."

If you like it, great, but that doesn't make the rest of us wrong for taking a pass.

That's OK. That's what made a lot of people pass on Haruhi, K-On, et. al. too.

notazaku wrote:
In the end money and time are finite so I tend to spend it on stuff that appeals to me. So no Redline for me. Might as well go see the Avengers again.

Guess can't go wrong with 93% RottenTomatoes at least. Laughing
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

Quote:
Speaking of childhood, similar to how you mention, "Where's my Tiger and Bunny?" (which I agree with 100%), I'd also like to know, "When the hell can I finally buy all of Gargoyles?" ARGH, so frustrating!

EVERY TIME.
I know the feel. Would love to own it but due to the drama over the license constantly changing. I'd give my soul for a complete series release of Gargoyles.

Chronicles. Really? Confused

You speak as if that could actually be considered a part of Gargoyles. Laughing If anything, it's the bastard step child.

No, I wasn't refering to the 3rd season. I just want all of the 2nd season finally released. Disney holding back on that is bullcrap. I was hoping to maybe see a release since recently I've noticed them releasing their old 80's/90's shows (Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not likely to be buying much of anything this year unless some more income shows up, but what I'm not watching weekly is anything I have to stream on my netbook rather than watch on my Roku ~ and since I gave up on the HuluPlus basic-cable model of paying to watch ads, if FUNimation or Viz streams it, I'm dropping in on a show every three or four weeks and watching a set.

Now that means that I've got to really like it to do that, while if its on Crunchyroll I can click on the Roku youtube channel to catch up on a news story or two, or a new Receptionist clip, and then pop over to my Crunchyroll queue and watch an episode of something I'm in the mood for from my queue. I normally hit a part of the week where the queue is caught up and I catch up on an episode or two of something from the catalog, or a catalog title from Crackle.

So, watching ~ on Crunchyroll, stuff ranging from great to all right, on FUNimation or Hulu, stuff I think is great, and buying, nothing right at the moment, but I'll definitely be buying Redline and Summer Wars if the money gods bring a little more rain this summer.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Just like with Monster Viz likes to pour a ton of money into and then wait years and years until fans have given up all hope and forgotten about the that it was ever set to be released in the first place. At this point I think the media division of Viz just does not like to make any money what so ever. I really cringe when I see Viz get a hold of a show I really like, because I know it will be a long while before I ever can get my hands on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5