• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Column About Nothing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rojse

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
It's a shame that Heroic Age never became as popular as it should have as that was one of the best mecha series of that year (along with SRW: OG: Divine Wars, and Gurren Lagann). It was a great concept that actually lived up to it (Greek Mythology as told by giant robots).

As much as I enjoyed watching "Heroic Age" - the giant robot combat was brilliant and the animation was extremely detailed - there was little in the way of characterisation, and much of the subplot of the show was rather silly.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
rojse wrote:

As much as I enjoyed watching "Heroic Age" - the giant robot combat was brilliant and the animation was extremely detailed - there was little in the way of characterisation, and much of the subplot of the show was rather silly.

You could always argue the "Tribe of Hero" had the most characterization in the show, curiously enough, but even then it wasn't a whole lot. I also liked the show, as previously stated, but I'm still less positive about the animation. While parts of it were certainly detailed, there was noticeable recycling of the same shots.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
And here's a post about nothing.
Retro Anime Podcast

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
I bought Tokyo Project, I love all those obscure 80's mecha OVA's that came out plus I could tell Masami Obari had a a hand in the animation just from the cover artwork.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He speaks in an unassumingly gentle voice (in my head, all cartoon bears sound like Phil Harris, so this was a genuine shock)

I would think that same way too Mike. Of course I'm probably more turned off by that realistic look I don't really like to see in my cartoons anyway (animals simply don't translate well unless you give them enough expressive caricature-ish qualities), but I give this show credit for being what it is.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
My only complaint with the art style is Panda and Penguin's perpetual lack of eyes.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
My only complaint with the art style is Panda and Penguin's perpetual lack of eyes.

Working as [nature] intended.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Working as [nature] intended.

Perhaps they got Little Orphan Annie eyes so there wouldn't be darkened pupils anyway. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5