• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Something's Wrong

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Mechazawa? Mechazawa?! I wonder if one of his moves is to make his opponents ponder the best way to tell him that spoiler[he's a robot.] I would've preferred to see Freddy, though.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
People being laid-off aside, I haven't bought a gaming magazine IN YEARS!!!

It's just not worth it to pay for the same content you get online quicker and to read the same biased reviews you can get online, too.

Regardless of whether it's print or web-based, there always seems to be some damn corporate ass-kissing of whoever is perceived to be leading the gaming industry at the moment. In the early 1990s it was Sega in the US. Mid-1993 until 1995, Nintendo... From about 1996 to 2005, Sony, and now the big recipient of ass-kissing is generally Microsoft with Nintendo in the month it actually ships a playable game!

My major complaint with EGM was always the biased reviews and fluffy PR articles. Sega could never do anything with its systems to make EGM happy post-Genesis, and one moment EGM would be Sony fanboys, the next squarely in Nintendo's lap. For the past few years, there's definitely been a bias towards XBox consoles in the domestic press in spite of the fact that a lot of more interesting games still come from overseas. I just don't see anything other than Halo and Gears of War that's remotely domestic-produced that's compelling on the XBox consoles. Never mind the fact that the 360 takes the cake for possibly being the least-reliable game console ever marketed!

Not going to miss EGM doing down the hole. It's been trash for years. Bring on GamePro and the rest that have been garbage for years, too. It's just too bad magazine pruning is happening at this time instead of when the economy was better and good jobs were easier to get for some folks.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
i remember EGM being happy with the Dreamcast.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Keen fans of the game would notice that Plastic Little creator Satoshi Urushihara had a hand in the making of the character designs. It should come as no surprise as Urushihara was working for Masaya at the time, doing character designs for the cult hit Langrisser series.

Right you are. Cybernator's art might be Urushihara's least suggestive design work ever.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
...A review from a person with a frightening amount of free time who's probably not seen the sun in YEARS on Game FAQs reveals that Cybernator and Metal Warriors belong to the same game series (Assault Suits, which was mentioned in the article).

The game was originally called Assault Suits Gideon, but come on, Metal Warriors sounds so much more kick-ass, like a group of rock band members armed with artillery or some jazz.

That's not really true, according to one of the Metal Warriors developers. Metal Warriors was going to be called Battle Droids at first, but it was never Assault Suits Gideon.

http://www.insertcredit.com/wiki/doku.php?id=assault_suits

It's a shame that the GBA version of Metal Warriors never came to light.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
BTW, I stopped reading Gamepro when they got rid of the comics.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
If only FFXIII (or Versus) had a battle system like DMC. I would enjoy it thoroughly, though I'd be quite pleased with something more like XII. I absolutely hated the battle system in X-2, and I'm not exactly the biggest fan of traditional turn-based fights either, unless they're on a hand held (go Pokemon and DragonWarrior/Quest 1-3!). Consoles....it's quite rare for me to enjoy it, the story is usually what pushes me through. But who knows until they open up or the demo arrives?
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nintendo will strike out with a stunning new high-budget RPG, combining Matsuno's love of medieval politics with Monolith's propensity for fantasy space opera. It'll take four years to come out, and it'll be amazing.

...and it'll be supervised by Shigeru Miyamoto.

Seriously, this one made me drool a little. If this happens I will be SO FRIGGIN' HAPPY. It's like 75% of EVERYTHING I've ALWAYS LOVED about video games ALL ROLLED INTO ONE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, an FPS for the DS? About damn time. I'm getting rather depressed owning only four or five titles for the system and looking at shelves in EB full of license drek. While Metroid Prime: Hunters wasn't much for plot or level design, the gameplay mechanic was solid; hopefully, this title can replicate it.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
You people are too focused on EGM and whether or not it sucked and are missing the fact that 1UP was awesome (even if their reviews were sometimes a little flaky) and was really the last major cross-platform games site that hadn't yet met the fate of the likes of IGN and Gamespot, and pretty much everything that made 1UP great was kicked to the curb yesterday.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why people hated the X-2 battle system. I'm being honest, not sarcastic, preferring it infinitely to Final Fantasy X's battle system. Seriously, the only reason I'm going to buy PS3 is when FF XIII comes out. No other reason, not even for Blu-ray.
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed Cry On got cancelled. Interesting name aside, I was looking forward to how it would play. I've enjoyed both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey (Although I enjoyed LO more than BD).

Apparently, I am one of the few who enjoyed Final Fantasy XII. XIII looks more like it will play similar to Kingdom Hearts II or Crisis Core, which could be very interesting.

As for the PSP game, hopefully Ippo will be able to pull off some of his moves. I think I would have fun knocking out some people with the Dempsey Roll.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The biggest release next week is The Lord of the Rings: Conquest, but we all know that The Lord of the Rings is just a rip-off of Record of Lodoss War, anyway.

Are you serious? You have got to be joking.
Lord of the Rings came out way before Record of Lodoss War did. Lord of the Rings was released as three novels back in the 50s, and became a cult hit in the 70s.
Record of Lodoss War was released in 1987. Ryo Mizuno, the creator wanted to make his own version of Dungeons & Dragons, so he created
Record of Lodoss War. Just so you know.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
My PS2 is gathering dust and will be doing so for a long time.

Because until Mana Khemia 2 comes out, it has no purpose whatsoever.

I too await Muramasa and hope that the 360 will have a healthy supply of JRPG's ahead.

...You know, meaning at least something in the vein of Eternal Sonata or Tales of Vesperia...

But not the incredibly short length ES is providing for me. ;-;

On top of that, the Wii also has Fragile (Which hopefully Bamco or XSEED will license) and of course, Rune Factory Frontier, which XSEED has promised supposedly for the second half this year, which makes sense, being Natsume got RF2 out the same year it was released in japan.

Let's hope that Rune Factory 3 is in the works and we can see something close to production proof by summer or TGS.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Blue Dragon's getting another DS sequel courtesy of Bandai Namco and Mistwalker. It has a key member of the Tales of Vesperia team working on it and it's an action RPG from what I can tell. There's a video preview in the link.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
I am one of the few who enjoyed Final Fantasy XII.

I am also "one of those few", so you're not alone.

I am very interested in XIII, but my enthusiasm is tempered somewhat because of the return of Tetsuya Nomura. Look, I do like a good portion of the work the man has done (i.e. Aya Brea, Vincent, Auron, etc.). Nomura's fingerprints have been all over this series and much of Squenix's franchises for well over a decade; the man's work is THE signature look of most of that company's games.

Yet, I'd like to see Squenix change things up and add more variety to their flagship title, instead of playing it safe again. Just because they know what they're getting in Nomura doesn't mean an FF game featuring char. design work from people like Kimihiko Fujisaka (Drakengard) and even Yuichi Shiota (Unlimited Saga) would somehow be the worst thing of all time.

Besides, doesn't Tetsuya Nomura have enough on his plate with the dozen or so Kingdom Hearts games he has to produce, direct and design for?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4