• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2008's Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterEd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Shana, Haruhi, Zero, or Full Metal Panic didn't make the top ten. It's seems that the novels based on manga or anime are the most popular. I just wish VIZ would start releasing the Shana novels again.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the problem is nobody was buying them. Maybe if the Haruhi novels are a great success (TM) then it'll light a fire under some of these other publishers.

-Tofu
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Note this list was for Japan.

I do not believe any of those had a release this year--I know Haruhi and FMP did not, and the new novel for Shana was released just before the end of the year, so it didn't have time to rack up sales.
domino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ginpachi-sensei outsold a movie-tied Death Note novel?! Surprising.
Though even though I like both series, if someone asked me to choose between a Death Note or Gintama novel, I'd pick Gintama too. :p
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Hrm. None of the Guin Saga books are on the list. I know that the author cranked out at least 4 more books of the series this past year. I guess it's hard to keep a readership interested after 30 years and 100+ books. Anime smile
Shuichi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
A good list. I like it^^
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
A 13th Arslan novel?! After what, more than ten years! Maybe Tanaka intends to finish the story after all. (And maybe we'll see a new anime or manga adaptation... *crosses fingers*)
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this'll help spotlight the popularity and potential profit in Light Novels.

I've loved the Death Note, FMA, Naruto, .Hack and xxxHollic ones so far, so I'd be very happy to explore more titles. Also, "L change the world" sounds particularly intriguing, though it's be interesting as well to see how the Reborn, Gintama, and Library War adaptations stack up (and that's not even mentioning the series I've never heard of). Anime catgrin
Keita-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Ginpachi-sensei made No. 1!?! (Rubs eyes in amazement). . . and beats out Death Note! EHHHH???

To an Gintama fan like myself, this is indeed good news. Now, if only they come out with a live-action Ginpachi-sensei movie, i'll die happy!
Shigi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

I've loved the Death Note, FMA, Naruto, .Hack and xxxHollic ones so far, so I'd be very happy to explore more titles. Also, "L change the world" sounds particularly intriguing, though it's be interesting as well to see how the Reborn, Gintama, and Library War adaptations stack up (and that's not even mentioning the series I've never heard of). Anime catgrin

I believe "L Change the World" is a novelization of the live-action movie of the same name. And just FYI, Library War isn't an adaptation. It's the original. Very Happy Though the two books listed are from the spin-off series of the original four novels.
sacchan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
The title for クラッシュ・ブレイズ マルグリートの輪舞曲 is wrong. It should be Crash Blaze: Marguerite no Rondo.
Crash Blaze series is Kayata Sunako's gaiden series that combines the characters from her previous "Delfinian War" fantasy series and "Scarlet Wizard" science fiction-ish series.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Shigi wrote:
I believe "L Change the World" is a novelization of the live-action movie of the same name. And just FYI, Library War isn't an adaptation. It's the original. Very Happy Though the two books listed are from the spin-off series of the original four novels.

Oh, cool. Thank you. I'd heard something like that, but wasn't entirely sure. Hahaha. Oops. My bad. Well, either way, I'd love to see if I like it; it sounds very creative. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1