• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood's Lone Wolf and Cub No Longer in Development

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks God, thanks. After tons of terrible news, finally a good one.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Have any of you seen an Aronofsky film? The Wrestler is my favorite film of the year and it was just released in select theaters. And I'm sure plenty of you have seen the infamous "party scene" from Requiem from a Dream. Aronofsky directed that brilliant film, too.
When you say Hollywood, don't think of this guy as the Micheal Bay type. He doesn't make blockbuster type films to pander the average joe.
Sorry if I sound uptight about this, but I think we lost something really good here.

Even if he is a good director he will end up being replaced by someone else who sucks. I've seen this with about 100 different adaptions that are in development. Trust me it's probably better left alone.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Have any of you seen an Aronofsky film? The Wrestler is my favorite film of the year and it was just released in select theaters. And I'm sure plenty of you have seen the infamous "party scene" from Requiem from a Dream. Aronofsky directed that brilliant film, too.
When you say Hollywood, don't think of this guy as the Micheal Bay type. He doesn't make blockbuster type films to pander the average joe.
Sorry if I sound uptight about this, but I think we lost something really good here.

Good post. I didn't realize he had directed The Wrestler which I really liked. Still, there are lots of good American comics waiting to be turned into movies and I wish America would just focus on those. Look how well Batman, Ironman, and arguably, Hellboy turned out. And the Watchmen trailer looks insanely cool.
Another Speed Racer (and probably Dragonball) debacle is too painful to think about.
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
Another Speed Racer (and probably Dragonball) debacle is too painful to think about.

I actually loved Speed Racer Sad
One of the few films that make me want to go to the theater. Its funny because I hated the TV series, but felt really pumped while watching this crazy world of Speed and friends.
To each his own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Have any of you seen an Aronofsky film? The Wrestler is my favorite film of the year and it was just released in select theaters.

I have to admit, any film that can make Rowdy Roddy Piper break down in tears must be quite something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
How can anyone assume that the Hollywood studios aren't racist against Asians at this point? Seriously, I've seen so many adaptions where the characters are recast white. Even in that true-life film about the student gambler. If you switch the race of the main character why would the trailer still claim it's based on a true story?

Yes.. because recasting a film with actors from their own country is racist. What? They recast The Ring... in English in America with horrible white people? Those racists!

Really now. How can you assume they are? All of them? Which ones? What level? Actors, producers, studio heads? All of them? Isn't saying -that- being prejudiced yourself?

Now, I do complain about it myself. Though I wouldn't be so blunt about it. I do have a problem that the original films are all but blacklisted and sent to art house theaters while the remakes get top billing in major releases. To me, that is the racism if any. Yet if the American audience simply doesn't want subtitles or even dubbed foreign films, can you really blame the studios? Sadly Japanese and most foreign films are just a niche market.

Of course, Letter from Iwo Jima which showed the Japanese side of World War II was up for a best picture Oscar even though it was subtitled. Plus Eastwood's new film Gran Torino has a couple of South East Asian characters and actors holding their own alongside the famed actor and director.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
To naysayers about this project (as it was and as I guess it is now!)-

Darren Aronofsky is probably one of the most hard working, integrity-driven director/producers in the world, and wouldn't stoop to making crap. If he saw potential for a western/english language franchise in this, then it is potential to be honestly realised.

If you're unaware of the body of work made by Aronofsky, you're really missing out. I can't speak for his most recent film (The Wrestler), but Pi, Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain are all amazingly innovative, creative, and beautiful films. It's this kind of talent and pedigree mixed with honestly good content that creates fantastic works of art beyond your expectations and what you could conceive.

So it goes without saying that I would love to one day see a Darren Aronofsky Lone Wolf and Cub, should it ever come to fruition. Christ, I'd love to see a Darren Aronofsky ANYTHING. So should you Smile.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
If you switch the race of the main character why would the trailer still claim it's based on a true story?

I haven't seen the gambler film of which you speak, but... probably because the race of the character isn't their main defining feature?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
After seeing what Hollywood did to DragonBall, Astro Boy and City Hunter I am pretty glad this movie isn't going to be made horriable like the one's I mentioned. Especially Dragon Ball.

Trust me, in the long run this was a wise move.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood's Lone Wolf and Cub No Longer in Development wrote:
Previously, AnimEigo licensed a Japanese 1972 live-action film version and its two sequels.

Err—five sequels. Also, the recut dubbed versions.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
After seeing what Hollywood did to DragonBall, Astro Boy and City Hunter I am pretty glad this movie isn't going to be made horriable like the one's I mentioned. Especially Dragon Ball.

Trust me, in the long run this was a wise move.

When was City Hunter remade?
yojimboray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
How can anyone assume that the Hollywood studios aren't racist against Asians at this point? Seriously, I've seen so many adaptions where the characters are recast white. Even in that true-life film about the student gambler. If you switch the race of the main character why would the trailer still claim it's based on a true story?

Yes.. because recasting a film with actors from their own country is racist. What? They recast The Ring... in English in America with horrible white people? Those racists!

Really now. How can you assume they are? All of them? Which ones? What level? Actors, producers, studio heads? All of them? Isn't saying -that- being prejudiced yourself?

Now, I do complain about it myself. Though I wouldn't be so blunt about it. I do have a problem that the original films are all but blacklisted and sent to art house theaters while the remakes get top billing in major releases. To me, that is the racism if any. Yet if the American audience simply doesn't want subtitles or even dubbed foreign films, can you really blame the studios? Sadly Japanese and most foreign films are just a niche market.

Of course, Letter from Iwo Jima which showed the Japanese side of World War II was up for a best picture Oscar even though it was subtitled. Plus Eastwood's new film Gran Torino has a couple of South East Asian characters and actors holding their own alongside the famed actor and director.

I, too, think the word racism is a little too harsh, but frankly, Hollywood does have a long history of perpetuating stereotypes and excluding minorities that continues today to a certain extent. I mean, look at a show as innocuous as Friends- it supposedly takes places in New York,the most diverse place on earth, and I can count on one hand how many non-white background characters I've seen.

BTW- Gran Torino is not that great an example to use when trying to illustrate how ethnically diverse and progressive Hollywood flicks are. Although I'm a huge fan of Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino was nothing more than another "White Man's Burden" story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2