• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Powerpuff Girls, Aya Hirano Team Up for Song

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Japan ruin PPG enough?
DragonSyde

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

This has nothing to do with the PPGZ anime.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It's more of the stand-point of someone who thinks Aya Hirano is overrated.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

You mean improved it. Both the original version and with Z.

Anyway, this is pretty common with Cartoon Network Japan. They often try to hire singers to promote stuff, or give them new openings themes

I prefer Gumball's Japanese version myself
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

I don't see them flying around naked with cameras pointed at their crotch, so there's that.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this is shown over here. I'd really love to see it. I don't know if Ms. Hirano speaks English but I'd love to see anyway.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

You mean improved it. Both the original version and with Z.

Anyway, this is pretty common with Cartoon Network Japan. They often try to hire singers to promote stuff, or give them new openings themes

I prefer Gumball's Japanese version myself

That opening was only used for one season (though it was very good). They also did a Japanese version of the American opening (with the narration, title, etc). I've seen several Powerpuff Girls episodes in Japanese (the first 4 seasons are on YouTube in Japanese). The voices sound almost IDENTICAL to the English. Seriously, Bubbles sounded exactly how it would sound like if Tara Strong was speaking Japanese. Few of the Japanese voice actors had much experience in anime (aside from Urara Takano, who voiced Ms. Bellum and Little Arturo), but they were very good nonetheless. It's interesting to watch, and the series works well in Japanese. I can see why it's popular over there. I'm not sure how far their dub went through. Only the first 50 episodes were on TV Tokyo, and IIRC released to Japanese Region 2 DVD. I'm not sure if the remaining 28 episodes were shown on Cartoon Network Japan or not (I do know that the series as a whole was). I DO know that the Movie and the Christmas Special were both also dubbed into Japanese, same with the two original "What-A-Cartoon" shorts... not sure about the 10th Anniversary Special... There's also another, older Japanese dub of the first two seasons called "Powerpuff Girls Underground" that's extremely difficult to find.

EDIT: This Japanese upload of a Season 5 episode proves that the Japanese dub DID go farther than the TV Tokyo episodes.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
There are that many seasons of PPG? I didn't even know about that. I think I stopped watching CN after the first two seasons of PPG or so.

But PPGZ was actually cooler than PPG. Different, yes, and the original had its charm, but also cooler.
So, Aya Hirano going along with PPG.. meh.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
There are that many seasons of PPG? I didn't even know about that. I think I stopped watching CN after the first two seasons of PPG or so.

But PPGZ was actually cooler than PPG. Different, yes, and the original had its charm, but also cooler.
So, Aya Hirano going along with PPG.. meh.

Yeah, there are 6 seasons of Powerpuff Girls (with a total of 78 half-hours). Razz

I actually haven't seen much of PPGZ. It looks... interesting. The style is so different, I wouldn't really compare it to the original.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
PPGZ was a complete disaster. I hated that series, but it proves that it can get worse when it's an anime.

It's for kids, so I'll just leave it be.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I've seen several Powerpuff Girls episodes in Japanese (the first 4 seasons are on YouTube in Japanese).

MY LIFE IS NOW COMPLETE. Thank you...

I'm honestly intrigued. Regardless of Hirano's recent reputation, I'm a fan of her voice acting and music, so I look forward to seeing this when I'm in Japan. =3
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

EDIT: This Japanese upload of a Season 5 episode proves that the Japanese dub DID go farther than the TV Tokyo episodes.

I'm curious, what did you mean? I'm a little confused. At first I thought you meant footage. Did they not show this episode on TVT?
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
PPGZ was a complete disaster. I hated that series, but it proves that it can get worse when it's an anime.

I loved the original Powerpuff Girls, but I could not get into Z at all. The origina was charming in part because it was one of those cartoons that could be enjoyed by adults. It was an important element that was missing from PPGZ, which is too bad, because I really, really wanted to like Z.

More on the topic, am I the only one who wouldn't have guessed in a million years that the purple Powerpuff there was supposed to be Aya Hirano? I mean, I know that the style doesn't do much for detail but...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
so what next new ppg show/special/movie in japan on the works with hirano speaking Japanese-english too?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

I loved the original Powerpuff Girls, but I could not get into Z at all. The origina was charming in part because it was one of those cartoons that could be enjoyed by adults. It was an important element that was missing from PPGZ, which is too bad, because I really, really wanted to like Z.

Believe me, I TRIED to watch it without getting irritated. But I lost interest quickly after episode 3. Power to people who liked it. Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3