• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Digital Division

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
If lending is breaking the law in any way, then I guess the whole gift giving idea is crime.

It comes down to that you can do whatever you want with the actual physical copy you own, nothing is stopping you since you actually own the copy. No matter what the companies want, they don't have the law to back them up. Yet this right is taken from you with digital copies, which is really worrisome for the future... just how far will the companies go with restricting your control over your game?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Well, resales specifically are protected by the "first sale doctrine"; you have the right to transfer your legally purchased licenses at will, and copyright holders have no ability to restrict that.

Even the Japanese manga publishers are fighting the first-sale doctrine because of the growth of used bookstores bringing down their circulations.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Even the Japanese manga publishers are fighting the first-sale doctrine because of the growth of used bookstores bringing down their circulations.
Indeed, media companies of all stripes despise first sale. But it's a necessary protection.
RyanSaotome wrote:
If lending is breaking the law in any way, then I guess the whole gift giving idea is crime.
Not the same thing at all.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
Another trend is the online-store exclusive limited editions. I missed the playing cards for HDN. I missed the premium box for HDNmk2 and almost missed the LE box for Atelier Meruru. Even though I prefer physical media I may end up not buying it from the local game store.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Indeed, media companies of all stripes despise first sale. But it's a necessary protection.
RyanSaotome wrote:
Not the same thing at all.

how is not lending a game to friend who didn't pay for it, beats it in a month and gives back with out ever buying copy?? It is the same damn thing the company is not making any profit off of that consumer so again tell me how is it different from piracy? Keep in mind i did this myself all the time when i was kid, I lent out copies of final fantasy II, chrono trigger, BoF etc and my friends never bought or got those games..so that's a total 150 dollars lost in sales to squresoft..gee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
how is not lending a game to friend who didn't pay for it, beats it in a month and gives back with out ever buying copy?? It is the same damn thing the company is not making any profit off of that consumer so again tell me how is it different from piracy?

Easy to say. When your friend was playing the game, you couldn't. Just like if you were lending a board game, or a baseball glove.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
how is not lending a game to friend who didn't pay for it, beats it in a month and gives back with out ever buying copy?? It is the same damn thing the company is not making any profit off of that consumer so again tell me how is it different from piracy?

Easy to say. When your friend was playing the game, you couldn't. Just like if you were lending a board game, or a baseball glove.

I wouldn't matter since i already beat the game and it was their turn. Also as just stated they beat the game as well without ever buying it then gave it back when they where done so... that means these amount of people never bought or showed their support for the franchise.

Basically what I am trying to say is what ryan tried to point out control over what you pay for/own. It is getting to a point now where everyone that even has the slightest interest in something will have to buy it, no lending, no borrowing no renting etc. Either you buy it or you don't and that's a road I don't want to travel down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3