• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Homunculus

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
Since I found no entry in the manga discussion index, I thought I might as well open one:

Quote:
Homunculus tells the story of a middle aged man, who spends his days living in a car, smack inbetween a park infested with homeless people and a large, upper-class hotel complex. He has nothing, yet he is always classily dressed and looks well taken care of, despite the fact he sleeps in his car. Once a day, he always takes the car out for a ride, no matter what the weather. One day, an oddly dressed young man approaches him, and asks him if he would like to participate in a little experiment... Involving having a hole drilled in his skull. He promptly refuses; he has no need for money anyway. The next day, however, his car runs out of gas and gets towed. Desperate for money to get his car back, he approaches the young man and accepts to have the hole drilled in his skull. ''A safe procedure.'', he is assured. But then, of course, that's when the side effects kick in...

- Encyclopedia entry.

Picked this one up by chance at my local comic store and it had me at the get go. Lavish backgrounds and interesting, realistic character designs. PLUS a story that has been paced perfectly throughout the first and a half volumes and seems unafraid to delve into more complex topics.

Who else is reading this one? And does anyone have a clue if there were/are any plans for adaptation?
Lokarunith

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently reading this series and I'm really enjoying it. The drawing is very good but what makes Homunculus so unique is the plot and the way it shows us a completly surreal world giving away such a sense of reality (like Haruki Murakami in his novels).

There is a little subgenre of manga which I call homunculus, manga like Genkaku Picasso, After School Nightmare, Homunculus and Dorohedoro (more loosely) deal with the metaphor of the true image of the human soul.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1