• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Netflix Violation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I think that time period is actually a freaky period in anime because of that high number of decent shows, the same way I feel about 1988 being the best year for mecha/sci-fi anime ever. I could easily add Gasaraki, Crest of the Stars, GitS, Armitage III, Blue Gender, a bunch of other titles from the same 5 years he lists. Maybe there's more to it, but it also feels like a way to recoup for not much coming out in the early 90s during to the economy.

But from there you are starting to branch out from "widely considered to be classic" into "personal favorites".

Personally, I couldn't stand Blue Gender, and am very...mixed concerning Gasaraki. Seikai no Monshou is, of course, fantastic.

But really, looking at that list, its obvious that "gritty sci-fi" is your thing, and that was also very much the thing of the period.

See my point?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
See my point?

Cardcaptor Sakura is better than Cowboy Bebop, and that's also from that time period. In fact, they aired together. Utena's good too.
notazaku

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
While I agree that removing the male lead is the best thing that ever happend to Bishoujo series
No no no no
I'm sick of the fact that male characters have all but dissappeared in modern day anime.

The inclusion or exclusion of the typical anime male protagonist can have a negative or positive effect respectively on the characterization of the female characters. Female characters in shows with male leads like Rosario + Vampire and Infinite Stratos for example tend to suffer from being rather one dimensional. They are written so that the milquetoast male lead is the center of their world and they act accordingly to gain his affection. It does not make for very positive characterizations of the female cast.

Compare this to shows that exclude the male protagonist like K-on, Strike Witches, Queen's Blade, etc. These shows have much more dynamic female characters. At the very least they have goals and aspirations that extend beyond throwing themselves at some guy. Putting aside the issue of fanservice for a moment, the characterizations in the all-female cast of Strike Witches are much more positive than in Infinite Stratos. I say more shows need to drop the milquetoast male lead or at least write better male-female relationships.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
See my point?

Cardcaptor Sakura is better than Cowboy Bebop, and that's also from that time period. In fact, they aired together. Utena's good too.

*throws up arms*

Could you please not be absurdly reductionist?

notazaku wrote:
I say more shows need to drop the milquetoast male lead or at least write better male-female relationships.

I would also think it would be worth considering that it is unusual for a show to not have a male lead, while no one bats an eye at a show not having a "female" lead.

Last Exile Fam, while certainly disappointing for a variety of reasons, got a lot of shit for not having a male lead. Having Fam be a boy would not have made the show better, and I applaud them for at least giving it a shot. And for showing that a female lead can suffer from the same issues that make so many male leads really lame.

There are good male leads out there, and I applaud them, but there are many, many shows where the male lead character is by far the worst part of the show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
See my point?

*throws up arms*

Could you please not be absurdly reductionist?

Either way, a lot of shows that appealed to the right kinds of tasted at that time were produced, things people wanted like space adventure or gritty sci-fi. And a lot of them had fairly decent budgets on top of their writing, settings, and characters. There's a ton to like from that time period if you're a typical nerd, and I think it's safe to say that westerns into anime in the late 90s and early 00s were usually nerdy in some capacity and already have a predisposition to like those types of stories. Whereas later on, with much more diversity and variety of show, those getting into anime had the choice to not watch just those kinds of shows. If you really like mecha and sci-fi now, are you also the kind to just flat out reject older shows because they're old? If you're into to shounen-ai now, I don't know how much older titles will interest you, because I can't say that much exists from back then. Or if it does, the art will be a turn off.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't think people give Tenchi enough credit. Tenchi Muyo in Love was a lot of fun, exciting, and heartfelt. A great "family movie."

If nothing else people need to watch Tenchi Forever. That was one of the most mature romance/drama anime ever made (in my opinion anyway.)

Last edited by chrisb on Fri May 11, 2012 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Either way, a lot of shows that appealed to the right kinds of tasted at that time were produced, things people wanted like space adventure or gritty sci-fi. And a lot of them had fairly decent budgets on top of their writing, settings, and characters. There's a ton to like from that time period if you're a typical nerd, and I think it's safe to say that westerns into anime in the late 90s and early 00s were usually nerdy in some capacity and already have a predisposition to like those types of stories. Whereas later on, with much more diversity and variety of show, those getting into anime had the choice to not watch just those kinds of shows. If you really like mecha and sci-fi now, are you also the kind to just flat out reject older shows because they're old? If you're into to shounen-ai now, I don't know how much older titles will interest you, because I can't say that much exists from back then. Or if it does, the art will be a turn off.

And that is entirely not my point. Or rather it is, but you are like off on a tangent for some reason.

The POINT is that there was, for whatever reason, a large amount of gritty sci-fi type stuff created in the late 90s, and filtered over into the US in the later ninties and early 2000s. In fact, much of that is what got me into anime in the first place.

That does not mean anime from that period was better than anime now, or anime in the mid 2000s, or anime from any-other-goddamn-period-you-wish-to-name. It just means that people like US are much more likely to have heavy nostalgia for it.

And my aforementioned statement that no one remembers the 5 crappy shows that aired along side each one of those that has been mentioned.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
And my aforementioned statement that no one remembers the 5 crappy shows that aired along side each one of those that has been mentioned.

My point is also that I don't think was necessarily better on purpose then versus now, those years were just an odd concentration of shows that had mass appeal. Just like Spring 2007 being a season with a good number of decent titles. If you took all of the best anime from the 00s and compressed them into the 2006-2009 years, it would be the same sort of outcome.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
While I agree that removing the male lead is the best thing that ever happend to Bishoujo series
No no no no
I'm sick of the fact that male characters have all but dissappeared in modern day anime.

The inclusion or exclusion of the typical anime male protagonist can have a negative or positive effect respectively on the characterization of the female characters. Female characters in shows with male leads like Rosario + Vampire and Infinite Stratos for example tend to suffer from being rather one dimensional. They are written so that the milquetoast male lead is the center of their world and they act accordingly to gain his affection. It does not make for very positive characterizations of the female cast.

Compare this to shows that exclude the male protagonist like K-on, Strike Witches, Queen's Blade, etc. These shows have much more dynamic female characters. At the very least they have goals and aspirations that extend beyond throwing themselves at some guy. Putting aside the issue of fanservice for a moment, the characterizations in the all-female cast of Strike Witches are much more positive than in Infinite Stratos. I say more shows need to drop the milquetoast male lead or at least write better male-female relationships.

You actually hit the exact thing I'm talking about. While it's good that female characters are starting to be written as people and not trophies for the male MC to "collect", I feel that the "no male characters" approach is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Shows should try to write male-female relationships better.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the late 90s anime thing, I just think thats a time when the fads of anime aligned perfectly with Western tastes, something that hasn't happened often. Even the JRPGs back then had stories that Westerners liked more then they do now.

For me personally, I can't think of many shows during that era I actually liked. Card Captors maybe? Later Slayers seasons I guess aired during that time. But I don't have typical Western tastes, so that time period isn't anything special to me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Ok, but you listed a group of shows that aired over some period (like 5 years or so, don't feel like checking), which are generally known to be "good". I could probably find an equivalent set over any given period.

I don't believe so. Not even close in fact. Maybe you disagree and that's fine but I honestly find that there was a significantly higher number of fantastic shows during that period. It's not nostalgia or a flawed comparison or anything like that. It's just my honest opinion.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

You actually hit the exact thing I'm talking about. While it's good that female characters are starting to be written as people and not trophies for the male MC to "collect", I feel that the "no male characters" approach is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Shows should try to write male-female relationships better.

I don't disagree, but until and unless Japan gets its act together on this, I'll certainly take "no males" over "really terrible male lead".

And Japan has made some good strides in strong female leads of late. Both Kyouno Madoka and Kato Marika have made strong showings in genre that traditionally have male leads and generally male-slanted casts.

ikillchicken wrote:
It's not nostalgia or a flawed comparison or anything like that.

No, those happen to be shows that you really like. (hell, I really like most of those shows)

Quote:
It's just my honest opinion.

...ok, and? I get that its your opinion, but I'd like you to actually back it up. Otherwise its just "I really like these shows", which is a completely valid opinion, but not of much use to anyone but you.
rojse

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
I've been an anime fan for over three years, and have had the pleasure of watching a variety of anime from a variety of eras. Age isn't really a factor providing what I've heard about the show from other people sounds like something I would be interested in watching.

My problem as a fan of older anime works is that there is a lack of access to older shows and movies produced before the mid-nineties. There are very few current DVD releases (and next to none if they don't have the name Studio Ghibli next to them), older DVD releases have largely gone out of print, and online options are usually limited to torrents, which are of low quality and are very slow to upload, if anyone is seeding them at all.

The other thing about older shows is that, all other things being equal (storytelling quality, characterisation, and so forth), the newer show will be more enjoyable because of the higher-quality animation. I know that sounds petty, but it can be rather off-putting to watch off-key models, poorly-painted backgrounds and so forth, whereas newer shows rarely suffer from these problems.
notazaku

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I would also think it would be worth considering that it is unusual for a show to not have a male lead, while no one bats an eye at a show not having a "female" lead.

Last Exile Fam, while certainly disappointing for a variety of reasons, got a lot of shit for not having a male lead. Having Fam be a boy would not have made the show better, and I applaud them for at least giving it a shot. And for showing that a female lead can suffer from the same issues that make so many male leads really lame.

There are good male leads out there, and I applaud them, but there are many, many shows where the male lead character is by far the worst part of the show.

I may be wildly of base but for some people it seems having a female lead or an all-female cast is considered pandering to otaku. So Last Exile Fam took shit for that reason, and the fact it was a sequel to a popular show probably made fans angrier over the perceived pandering. At least that's what I recall some people complaining about. Of course this was just people being oversensitive and overreacting on the internet. But yeah, I welcome well written leads regardless of gender. However the cookie cutter milquetoast high school student male lead needs a makeover badly.

Chagen46 wrote:

I'd like anime to have both strong all-female casts and shows with well written male characters/male-female relationships. I mean, I love Stike Witches but throwing a male lead in there would ruin the character dynamics the show has established. That's what we have shows like Infinite Stratos for. But IS kinda...sucks. The all-female dynamic works more or less. We just need shows like IS to be better than what they are now. But until then, like Fencedude said, I'll take an all-female cast over a show with a bad male lead.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:

I may be wildly of base but for some people it seems having a female lead or an all-female cast is considered pandering to otaku. So Last Exile Fam took shit for that reason, and the fact it was a sequel to a popular show probably made fans angrier over the perceived pandering. At least that's what I recall some people complaining about. Of course this was just people being oversensitive and overreacting on the internet. But yeah, I welcome well written leads regardless of gender. However the cookie cutter milquetoast high school student male lead needs a makeover badly.

Right, like with Rinne no Lagrange, one thing that was asked a lot is if there is a REASON all three of the pilots are female.

My response to that is, if all three were male, no one would bat an eye and the issue wouldn't even come up.

Quote:
I'd like anime to have both strong all-female casts and shows with well written male characters/male-female relationships. I mean, I love Stike Witches but throwing a male lead in there would ruin the character dynamics the show has established. That's what we have shows like Infinite Stratos for. But IS kinda...sucks. The all-female dynamic works more or less. We just need shows like IS to be better than what they are now. But until then, like Fencedude said, I'll take an all-female cast over a show with a bad male lead.

Sky Girls managed a male/female dynamic quite nicely. So it is possible.

Granted, I prefer their not be guys in my mecha musume shows. Just on general principle.

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Sat May 12, 2012 12:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10