• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Harmagedon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Descent123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Oh yes Harmagedon. I purchase the 20th anniversary as a blind-buy a few years ago for $10. It was the worse anime movie that I ever watched in my life. Of many things that I wasted my life on I really want to get my two hours back after watching Harmagedon. It wasn't interesting, it was very boring, and for the most part pretty damn stupid. After watching it I was like "This is trash."

Of course there was the rare Laserdisc game which was totally garbage (and it was the Laserdisc game that I was introduce to Harmagedon). It was called Bega's Battle in the US and it was terrible. The game plays like Space Invaders and it doesn't even play good at all. Oh and the English dub was terrible (Joe sounds like he's a black guy who couldn't speak English, seriously).

Well it was Data's East first Laserdisc game so when Cobra Command/ThunderStorm LX-3 came out soon after (which is one of my favorite Laserdisc games of all time) all the people who had Bega's Battle change to Cobra Command (and made more money). Now I herd there's like less than ten Bega's Battle cabs left in the world. And it was all for the better, seriously.

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pages/bb.asp

More on Bega's Battle.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The one I saw in between nearly destroyed my interest in anime forever.

Funny...I can count watching a few episodes of DBZ as having the exact same effect on me. Very Happy This sounds like a rather spectacular failure on all counts, though.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Yay! someone agrees this is crap. Validation. I once had to sit through like 15 minutes of this random dude telling me how great, and true and original this anime was. He would not shut up about it. In the end I just walked away without challenging it, there's no way I could turn a crazy person sane. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
As much as I love this film, I will admit that it's deeply flawed. It's one of my guilty pleasures.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
Yay, Buried Garbage is back!

And it's a CPM clunker. What an unexpected development.

The cast of stereotypes sounds amusing. Japan had (and in some instances, still does have) such a narrow, uneducated view of the rest of the world...Mad Bull is evidence enough of this fact.

I really don't miss the era of OVAs. I really, really don't.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It also features indescribably amateur storytelling, ludicrous dialogue, and characters whose entire persona is made of ethnic stereotypes.

That's how I feel about Kill Bill.

Quote:
A Transylvanian princess named Luna is on a jumbo jet when she has a bad vision. (Royalty doesn't tend to fly commercial to my knowledge, but never mind.)

Yeah, but the country was communist at the time, so...

Quote:
The first five minutes of the film features a prancing butoh-dancing witch flitting about downtown Tokyo shrieking the entire plot synopsis at us. I'm sure it was meant to be artsy, but it's really just weird.

I think he was going for a kabuki vibe with that scene.

Quote:
(Unfortunately for us, his maturation involves seeing a creepy naked flashback of his ugly sister.)

I thought that was meant to be metaphorical.

Quote:
Later highlights include a stereotypical black kid from the streets of New York (a gang member wearing roller skates),

I don't think he comes off any worse than some of the brothers in The Warriors. Hell, you'd be surprised how much hate-mail Aaron McGruder got over the "stereotypes" depicted in his Boondocks characters.

Quote:
The entire adventure clunks along, full of self importance, and utterly unaware of how cheesy it sounds, and how narrow its world view is.

It's a compressed version of a series of novels. Give it a break. A lot of people gave a pass to that X movie, and that was even lamer than Harmageddon.

Quote:
The music, courtesy of Keith Emerson (of the 70s band Emerson Lake & Palmer) is just as dated, bringing to mind 70s TV specials.

It's actually closer to the musical style heard in Silverhawks.

Quote:
He smiled and said he remembered it fondly. I insisted that he borrow it, and attempt to relive some of those cherished memories. The next week in class he gave the disc back to me, and with a smile on his face, told me that his childhood was ruined.

He needs to see that tv show before saying that. Rolling Eyes
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
It also features indescribably amateur storytelling, ludicrous dialogue, and characters whose entire persona is made of ethnic stereotypes.

That's how I feel about Kill Bill.

For once I agree with you on something. I...really can't stand anything by Tarantino, but that one took the cake, and it made no attempt to hide its inspiration by those crappy gorefest anime OVAs.
ptrix4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
I tried to watch this, but a little over halfway through I hit the fast forward and stuck it back on the shelf. Boring and retarded with a few sections of nice animation.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Sounds like super fun...I'll try to avoid it o__O
Mr_Panda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
People give it a bad rap, which is sad in some ways. At least the article gave it he historial credit it deserves. *shrugs*

I always found the concept interesting, though I'll gladly admit the execution has significant flaws. Then again, compare this to other movies of the time and they all have similar problems.

At the end of the day, not something I suggest to everyone (a narutard might have a seizure from the LCD coloring). Fans of the productin team (namely Rintaro and Otomo) and history buffs will get the suggestion from me often enough though.

Besides, the film is almost as fun to MST-screen as the Utena movie. Very Happy
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
I really couldn't watch this. To witness a bad film is unpleasant enough, but to know that such a film is the work of Rintaro and Ōtomo would leave me somewhat depressed.
On a more positive note, was the Galaxy Express 999 film ever released in the US? It appears in bold type on the Encyclopedia, but all I can seem to find online are bootlegs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
On a more positive note, was the Galaxy Express 999 film ever released in the US? It appears in bold type on the Encyclopedia, but all I can seem to find online are bootlegs.

Viz released a dubbed-only VHS in the mid-late 90's. I've never seen a subbed VHS to my knowledge. It's never seen a DVD release in the US, and I doubt it will. Matsumoto stuff doesn't tend to sell well.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
ABSOLUTE ZERO! NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN-NOW!

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
The cast of stereotypes sounds amusing. Japan had (and in some instances, still does have) such a narrow, uneducated view of the rest of the world...Mad Bull is evidence enough of this fact.

I really don't miss the era of OVAs. I really, really don't.

Whereas I would gladly strike a deal with the devil to undo the existence of Evangelion and even Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if it meant more Mad Bull anime! And additional English translated chapters of the Mad Bull manga.

The thing I always say about Rintaro is that his movies are either excellent or terrible, and nobody can really seem to ever agree on which of his movies fall into which category. For example, I know one person who loves Harmagedon and loathes Metropolis. I myself love The Dagger of Kamui, despite the fact that many people I run into are bored to tears by it.

Still, if there's any Rintaro movies that people usually agree upon as being terrible, it's X and Harmagedon. I think most of the diehard X supporters faded away once more of the manga as well as the TV series was released in the US, though.

Hunter Sopko wrote:

Viz released a dubbed-only VHS in the mid-late 90's. I've never seen a subbed VHS to my knowledge. It's never seen a DVD release in the US, and I doubt it will. Matsumoto stuff doesn't tend to sell well.

Viz absolutely released subtitled VHS editions of both the original GE999 movie and Adieu GE999. I know this to be true because I own both of them. You are however correct that no US DVD release exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

Viz absolutely released subtitled VHS editions of both the original GE999 movie and Adieu GE999. I know this to be true because I own both of them. You are however correct that no US DVD release exists.

Okay. :¯\_(ツ)_/¯: I was wrong. I'd never seen one myself, so I didn't want to be presumptuous.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, Harmageddon. I remember first reading about the LD game Bega's Battle in video game magazines but could never find it at any arcades around me. Still haven't found it in that version in fact. However, someones' posted the opening cinematic of BB on youtube, found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iloK0RIzNk Seems like something I would've found cool to play like Cobra Command and Dragon's Lair and such. As to Harmageddon itself, I saw it back when I was still fascinated by Rintaro's 80's works which were cool.

I can now see it as a guilty pleasure when I whip out the DVD occasionally. (Thanks CPM for this, BTW). Even though it's not great, the Galaxy Express films and Dagger of Kamui are still fun, and I love the Harmageddon trailer at least even if the film is..... lacking. Heh.

You can find the Galaxy Express films on DVD at DVD Asian, via this address http://www.dvdasian.com/_e/Japan/product/17227/Galaxy_Express_999_1_2_aka_Ginga_Tetsudo_Special_Edition_Region_3_2_DVD_Boxset_.htm
The discs are R3, (well the first is, the second may be R1 depending what you recieve) and contain English subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4