• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Guilty Crown Episodes 13-22 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
For good reason a lot of people want to see more original anime productions rather than (sometimes awkwardly) adapting manga and novels, but sometimes when they get the chance the writers just completely drop the ball.

You're not writing a sitcom here, guys, you need to do some planning.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Guilty Crown yet. But coming from Carl, I have to take the major complaint about "misanthropy" with a big grain of salt. Jumbled plot, confused writing I can understand. But would say, a fan of Nietzsche be turned off by it? Asking because it's compared it to the "misanthropy" of Death Note, HOTD, and Infinite Ryvius.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode of Guilty Crown and most likely will enjoy the rest of the series..anything Tetsuro Araki puts out is gold.The impression I got from the first episode is that the series is style over substance which I have no problem with at all what I do find surprising is all hate for the series in comments section I'm sure the show's strengths far outweigh its faults in the long run of everything.I'm quite curious to see what type of voice cast Funimation will put together for the english dub of the series also I'm anxious to see what Tetsuro Araki will do next as a Director.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I enjoyed the first episode of Guilty Crown and most likely will enjoy the rest of the series..anything Tetsuro Araki puts out is gold.The impression I got from the first episode is that the series is style over substance which I have no problem with at all what I do find surprising is all hate for the series in comments section I'm sure the show's strengths far outweigh its faults in the long run of everything.I'm quite curious to see what type of voice cast Funimation will put together for the english dub of the series also I'm anxious to see what Tetsuro Araki will do next as a Director.

Thats certainly some breezy assurance considering you've only seen one episode of the show.

There is a reason that basically everyone hates the show, or only likes it "ironically"
silencer226

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Fencedude5609"]
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I
There is a reason that basically everyone hates the show, or only likes it "ironically"

Boredom and nothing else to watch?

Just wasn't a good show, nice animation can't make up for a mess of a story, especially with Shu as a main character. And then that pathetic plot twist seemed like something they thought up at the last minute.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
silencer226 wrote:
And then that pathetic plot twist seemed like something they thought up at the last minute.

Which one? There were at least 10.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The word reason is being generous.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The right to use my friend as a weapon. That is the sinful crown I shall adorn.

Well, I got mixed feelings of this series especially the ending although I did overall enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
In terms of another "similar" show, I found s-cry-ed to be more coherent, but I'd say Guilty Crown was more entertaining. Shu as a character was oddly compelling for the first 1/2-2/3 before everything went off the reservation. One of the show's successes I think was how they portrayed Shu as Funeral Parlor's lone dissenter, then when thrust into leadership, finally realizing why the way things were done in a particular manner.

To be fair, he behaved how I imagine anyone who was legitimately trying to have sex with Miku Hatsune would've behaved, given the consequences.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Good review!

Overall, it was a fun show to watch, for the art and animation, as well as the music. The character designs were very nice. The plot was all over the place and only got worse when it tried to make sense.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Overall...B? Read the following out loud:

"The right to use my friend as a weapon. That is the sinful crown I shall adorn."

lol. This show was literally one of the worst I've ever seen. I'm surprised that you think it has "guts"... I think that the entire series was extremely standard and safe, whilst also being riddled with nonsense.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Carl wrote:
As the election implied, they're sheep—led like sheep, slaughtered like sheep. But nastier than sheep. Sheep don't turn on fellow sheep.

But they do!! 8D
terminus24

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I enjoyed Guilty Crown. While it had more bad parts than good (everything from episode 4-12 and the entire "Dark Shu" arc was really pretty awful), the rest of the series was pretty enjoyable. The thing that kept me watching it was the pretty visuals and the fantastic soundtrack, sorta like how people sat through the Transformers movies for the hot girls, giant robots, and explosions, and how people watched Pirates of the Carribean 2 and 3 because' Johnny Depp is hilarious as Jack Sparrow... All in all, the only thing keeping it going was flashy style and a few pretty good episodes. I did find the ending to be satisfying, though, and it ended in a way that I think was pretty good.
iCards

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't make it my job to be a big critic, I just enjoy or don't enjoy, and I really enjoyed this show plot twists and all. I still plan on getting it once it is released.

Yes the FANTASTIC/GREAT/EPIC/SOMETHING ELSE music and great animation helped. If you didn't notice I really love Hiroyuki Sawano's work here.

This anime was like the first Aquarion series for me in that it was so 'weird' it was great.

The reviewer talked about Araki's views on humanity reflected in a few episodes; all I have to say is that people should expect that in his series by now especially if he feels the show needs a dark turn.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I dunno why people are having a hard time enjoying Guilty Crown. Makes a fine comedy and serves as excellent "How to Write Baseline Character/Epic Plotting" instructions.
Granted, I haven't finished this wonderful comedy because, as Carl says (and it's as I dreaded from the spoiler[episode 10's apocalyptic plot-jumbler]), it takes its jokes too seriously.

Maybe the director should study his previous bada$$ comedy Highschool of the Dead and make his next noitaminA entry a classic to remember: Guilty Crown-ed Again - The Guilt Never Stops Descending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5