• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Guilty Crown Episodes 13-22 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I haven't watched Guilty Crown yet. But coming from Carl, I have to take the major complaint about "misanthropy" with a big grain of salt. Jumbled plot, confused writing I can understand. But would say, a fan of Nietzsche be turned off by it? Asking because it's compared it to the "misanthropy" of Death Note, HOTD, and Infinite Ryvius.

There comes a point where the protagonist has to lead a bunch of people to safety. It's hard to be gunning for the main character to succeed when you end up hating the people he's supposed to save.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
I watched up to episode 11, or rather forced myself to sit through it just because of fabulous Gai spoiler[and then he died] but I couldn't stand that ridiculously over-the-top apocalyptic battle, the stupid villains that were just super mean 'I'll destroy the world just for the heck of it'-kind and particularly the incredibly lame protagonist so I quitted. But I read summaries of episode 12 and 22 and both seemed the exact same to me, did anyone who actually watched it feel like that or am I just misguided?

From what I read here, the show doesn't ever get any better, but I read somewhere that there's some plot twist in spoiler[episode 15] that makes it better? I hate to drop series, so I want to know if it's worth watching the rest for the sake of my completionism or if I should just forget about it (judging by the review and the comments, it'd seem the latter)
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I watched up to episode 11, or rather forced myself to sit through it just because of fabulous Gai spoiler[and then he died] but I couldn't stand that ridiculously over-the-top apocalyptic battle, the stupid villains that were just super mean 'I'll destroy the world just for the heck of it'-kind and particularly the incredibly lame protagonist so I quitted. But I read summaries of episode 12 and 22 and both seemed the exact same to me, did anyone who actually watched it feel like that or am I just misguided?

From what I read here, the show doesn't ever get any better, but I read somewhere that there's some plot twist in spoiler[episode 15] that makes it better? I hate to drop series, so I want to know if it's worth watching the rest for the sake of my completionism or if I should just forget about it (judging by the review and the comments, it'd seem the latter)

The three issues that you have with the series (the over-the-top battle, the villains with shallow motivations, and the weak minded/self-absorbed/self-victimizing protagonist) are never rectified. These traits remain a constant of the series. So perhaps it's not the show for you.

I think that the best way to describe this show (at least, in my opinion) is "disappointing." The premise might have had potential, but the execution is what is most disappointing of all.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
I liked it, agree with the plot rating for Arisa and various other weird inconsistencies. I think an overall grade of B is pretty good all things considered. The show may disappoint in some ways for many who can't stand "weak leads," but I am not the biggest fan of bittersweet endings and hope they do something more with this in whatever way they can manage.

I identify better with the weak leads so I think they are fine personally. I didn't feel that most of them acted out poorly, with the exception of Arisa and Gai. They really don't do a good job of explaining their motivations without resorting to silly background.

It could have been a lot better but with the production values, music, animation, etc. I still think it was worth watching. I loved Mass Effect 3 overall, and the ending of that was much worse than this show.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
I hope Production I.G.'s next technical-A-game series is better than this apparently was, I'm still a little peeved at them for the sub-par job they did with XXXHolic (I can't remember how to capitalise it correctly). I haven't seen Guilty Crown, so I'm not claiming that I have an informed opinion, but my reasons for not wanting to see it are that pretty much everyone says it was rubbish. I might see if it's up streaming for free legally in the u.k. so I can give it a chance, but I don't want to waste my time.
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Even though the plot is a mess (As If I really need to mention about it), the show is also at least "B" or "B-" for me just because of the production value, animation and some fight scenes plus some enjoyable mid episodes. I also find it funny how the series can get ridiculous and random at several points.

Another complaint I have is the lack of interesting mecha design. The action scenes would be more enjoyable if they can come up with more interesting mecha design. It would also help them for merchandising instead of only selling Inori figures since people who enjoy shows like Full Metal Panic, Macross, Code Geass & Aquarion series love to buy figures and model kits for both characters and mecha.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
pokefreaks wrote:
Another complaint I have is the lack of interesting mecha design. The action scenes would be more enjoyable if they can come up with more interesting mecha design. It would also help them for merchandising instead of only selling Inori figures since people who enjoy shows like Full Metal Panic, Macross, Code Geass & Aquarion series love to buy figures and model kits for both characters and mecha.

How they handled the mecha was one of the few things I actually appreciated in this series. There was no Gundamesque arms race of better and faster machines, eventually leading to flying and PEW PEW lazors like Code Geass R2, and I liked that they were remotely piloted instead of putting a valuable pilot directly in harms way. They were the next step in drone combat, and they were rightly treated like tools of war, and not like they have their own consciousness and will like Gundam tends to impart on their robots. It's a shame that outlook and execution had to be wasted on such a terrible script.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How they handled the mecha was one of the few things I actually appreciated in this series. There was no Gundamesque arms race of better and faster machines, eventually leading to flying and PEW PEW lazors like Code Geass R2, and I liked that they were remotely piloted instead of putting a valuable pilot directly in harms way..

You know, I can't really agree with that being an improvement, especially with the mostly unnecessary transmission of feedback/damage back to the pilot. You could argue the general concept behind the mecha works fine, at least with some generous suspension of disbelief, but I'd say the real problem was the shortage of interesting battle sequences...or, for that matter, the noticeable absence of mecha combat in general.

Most of the time, the robots were just blown up or cut to pieces by Shu's various Voids. The whole "tools of war" angle, which I'd argue has been done better elsewhere (yes, even in a number of Gundam series, regardless of the different upgrades and power-ups), doesn't really work if the "war" consists of having a superpowered human jump through the air and beat them all up. That was the rule in Guilty Crown, aside from perhaps a couple of true "mecha vs. mecha" fights.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Can't say how much input Araki had with the writing, but that aspect of the show was easily the biggest detriment to GUILTY CROWN. Everything else about the production was fine, especially the score and character designs, but Yoshino's writing was consistently uninspired and inept. Araki's visual flare was only able to cover up the stink but so much. The ending could've saved it, too, but it was lemming-esque in its complete failure. The messiness of the plotting and development killed whatever potential it had (and some reasonably good twists and occasional upticks in quality) and GC became a real sorry waste of talent, instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised to see so much hate for this show. I rather liked it. It had its weaknesses, to be sure. In particular I was annoyed by the resurrection and 180° personality turn of you-know-who. That one seemed particularly pulled out of someone's ass. But overall the series was very enjoyable and managed to hit some very effective emotional notes.

As for misanthropy... I don't think it's misanthropic to recognize that human beings can and regularly do turn on each other in very ugly ways, especially under stressful circumstances. Rather, it's naive to expect the opposite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Well i can see this series having some potential. We'll have too see when it comes to the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
But it is in the US - Funimation has the subtitled version streaming from their site(though if you're the least bit intolerant of the written name order not matching the spoken, you'll probably be driven to fansubs - this series says "Ohma Shu" more often than an unlucky Scottish leprechaun). If you mean a home video release, from what I've seen, I don't think there's much a dub could do to help(unless it's liberal enough to axe most of Shu's whining).
DanDood666

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I feel like maybe the only person who really loved this series :V

People go on and on about how much of a weak protagonist Shu is, yet I find it really easy to compare his character to that of Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Both characters have been thrown into a situation that they had no previous concerns about and have legitimate reasons to react the way they do. I see no difference in how Shu spoiler[reacted after killing Yahiro's brother] to when Shinji spoiler[ horrifically injured Toji at the hands of the Dummy System ].

I think Guilty Crown took a lot of risks regarding the way it was produced, but for me as a viewer, I actually gave a crap about the characters, I found the plot interesting and I literally could not stop watching it from start to finish.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
DanDood666 wrote:
People go on and on about how much of a weak protagonist Shu is, yet I find it really easy to compare his character to that of Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Both characters have been thrown into a situation that they had no previous concerns about and have legitimate reasons to react the way they do. I see no difference in how Shu spoiler[reacted after killing Yahiro's brother] to when Shinji spoiler[ horrifically injured Toji at the hands of the Dummy System ].
I've got nothing against how Shu reacted there. But the thing is, most of his whining(at least in the first half) wasn't about the fact he was thrust into being a child soldier and more about minor everyday issues("My 'friends' will never understand the real me!", "WHY CAN'T I COMMUNICATE?!"). Shinji might have wangsted worst, but at least it was over things that were actually traumatic.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I really have no idea why everyone thinks Shinji was a whiny bitch.

Like you wouldn't be depressed/angsty if spoiler[your dad who you despise forces you to fight lovecraftian horrors to save the world in a giant robot which has the soul of your dead mother that may or may not be powered by your own mental problems].

spoiler[Well, Shinji did f*ck the entirety of humanity over in the end of the series, but oh well.]

Shinji actually has reasonable things to bitch about. From what I've heard, Shu doesn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5