• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Guilty Crown Episodes 13-22 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I really have no idea why everyone thinks Shinji was a whiny bitch.

Like you wouldn't be depressed/angsty if spoiler[your dad who you despise forces you to fight lovecraftian horrors to save the world in a giant robot which has the soul of your dead mother that may or may not be powered by your own mental problems].

spoiler[Well, Shinji did f*ck the entirety of humanity over in the end of the series, but oh well.]

Shinji actually has reasonable things to bitch about. From what I've heard, Shu doesn't.

Yeah, I think people do give Shinji too much shit; you have to view that world not as a Go Nagai super robot saving the day set-up, but more of one where the sanity of the cast members hangs on by a thread, and Shinji is clearly mentally immature. Anno unknowingly crafted a story with a Lovecraft protagonist, as in they often cower in fear before forces that they cannot understand and have no chance of defeating. I wish more anime would have the utter defeatist attitude towards invaders from space, sometimes it's just nice to see all of humanity perish in fiction. I wish it had happened Transformers, Battle: Los Angeles, and I'm probably going to feel the same when I see Battleship. But maybe that's also because I abhor the idea of conventional weaponry being at all effective against space invaders, which goes well with the idea of being humanity and the Earth being so insignificant, any Great Old One could extinguish it within an instant, and probably not even realize it or care.

I think people just fail to realize how powerful the angels really are, mostly because the only things that can stop them are equally powerful monstrosities. Shu, on the other hand, can still defeat his enemies with swords and guns just fine. And it's not humanity in total that's threatened throughout most of the series, just poor wittle Japanese.[/spoiler]
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...And it's not humanity in total that's threatened throughout most of the series, just poor wittle Japanese.[/spoiler]

I agree with most of what you said (while I'm not a huge fan of NGE TV as a whole, I could identify with Shinji as I suffer from severe anxiety which is like depression in terms of how terrible you feel about yourself but with more energy (not that I didn't stay in bed sometimes, and maybe I have depression as well, but compared to what I've heard other people say about their depression, I wasn't quite as... slumped, I guess? Though I would guess depression affects different people differently). I just felt really sorry for him, because really he should have been being taken care of (I DO NOT mean institutionalised) and on disability benefits, not forced to save humanity.

Whoops, forgot to say the thing I meant to say about your quote: I'd be pretty afraid if there was a species of aliens who wanted to wipe out one specific nationality or race of people. That would be like... alien Hitler (who might look like that guy from Green Lantern who basically looks like Hitler crossed with the devil... that wasn't very subtle. Though his friend who's a good guy looks similar, so maybe they're just an unfortunate species).
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
Anime tends to be overdramatic. So many characters have wars, parricides, genocides and whatnot to justify their charcterization that I think we as anime fans get desensitized to simpler things. It doesn't really take that much in childhood to mess a person up for good. Shinji's already a pretty strong case, but sometimes it only takes parents who were at work too much. I think Shu was simply not written well enough to be very sympathetic.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
The ANN interview with the creators of Guilty Crown actually brought up the Shinji comparison:

Quote:
As for Ikari Shinji, that's a show from 1995, and Shinji is more passive. They're both in their own world and they don't come out from that world. So Shu is kind of a 2011 version of Shinji: he has more of a--

[the group breaks into laughter]

He has friends, but he doesn't have connections with them yet. The relationships are skin-deep. That's more of a 2011 type, nowadays, of a 17-year-old boy. So that's the difference between Shu and Shinji.

I think this was probably not the best thing to say, since it invites viewers to put Shu and Shinji side-by-side and compare them, which can hardly reflect well on Shu. Shinji is just such a realistic, meticulously-written character that even Shu, one of the better-realized figures in GC, looks flat in comparison. Extending the parallels to include Rei and Inori is only more unflattering to GC.

In fact, I've heard many people say that Guilty Crown is a copy of Code Geass, but really I was struck by how the series tried to xerox plot points and characters from Evangelion. Somehow it failed to convey any of the emotional depth of that series despite going through all the motions-- I think that the reason lies in the Araki "misanthropy" described in this review. Evangelion is brutal, but in the end the series never completely loses its faith in humanity or its respect for individual lives. Guilty Crown legitimately seems to hate its characters, or at least feel indifferent towards them-- hence the lack of any meaningful development, hence the weird depictions of savagery and spite.

It's actually really sad.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Anime tends to be overdramatic. So many characters have wars, parricides, genocides and whatnot to justify their charcterization that I think we as anime fans get desensitized to simpler things. It doesn't really take that much in childhood to mess a person up for good. Shinji's already a pretty strong case, but sometimes it only takes parents who were at work too much. I think Shu was simply not written well enough to be very sympathetic.

My view on Shinji is that Evangelion tends to be most people's first exposure to mecha maybe outside of a little Gundam, maybe Macross/Robotech, and now TTGL. So they expect the protagonists to act a certain a way, and I'm thankful he doesn't. Teenage pilots acting as the heroes by piloting their father's robots was already 30 years old before Eva, and that show is such a breath of fresh air for not doing the same tired schtick. It doesn't necessarily mean we need more messed up protagonists, but Shinji's world and woes were built up and referred enough to really drive the point home. I don't have much sympathy for Shu, dude's lived mostly a decent life and has a really kickass apartment.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
My view on Shinji is that Evangelion tends to be most people's first exposure to mecha maybe outside of a little Gundam, maybe Macross/Robotech, and now TTGL. So they expect the protagonists to act a certain a way, and I'm thankful he doesn't. Teenage pilots acting as the heroes by piloting their father's robots was already 30 years old before Eva, and that show is such a breath of fresh air for not doing the same tired schtick.

In defence of TTGL, I don't seem to remember the robot Simon piloted being one that his father was the pilot/creator of, though I agree with your general point. Again, it's odd for me because I had similar issues when I first saw Eva so I could really identify with Shinji, I think a lot of people just don't know what severe depression/anxiety is like and assume that all that's needed is some exercise or diet changes when it's really not that simple.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't have much sympathy for Shu, dude's lived mostly a decent life and has a really kickass apartment.

He also has dead parents and a quite distant and very busy stepmom. If a child is introverted and has a decent living but gets emotionally neglected, you'll have a Shu.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
That's even worse: he has all these issues and he keeps whining about the little ones. He can take PTSD "like a man" but can't keep his trap shut about how his "friends" don't "really" know him!
kazume

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The best part about this entire show was episodes 12 through just before the last 5 minutes of episode 17.

I even tell people with a serious straight face that you can easily jump into the show at episode 13 and not miss anything important. Yeah, those exact words, because episodes 1-12 established nothing, trhe show is ENTIRELY watchable from 13 onward without missing a damn thing necessary to drive a story (yes so much that I had to state it twice and with slightly different words. If that seems a bit redundant, then I'm glad im posting it in the right place: A Guilty Crown Forum post...)
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow I guess I'm way inexperienced compared to the writers here in the forums. I purchased Guilty Crown and couldn't stop watching it. I also like the DVD packaging and detailed art books.
I own, but haven't watched My-Hime and Infinite Ryyvus , but you better believe I'll be checking those out if they are similar to Guilty Crown. The review of GC makes me also curious about Code Geass.
I do think Carl did a more than thorough review of the series. And can agree with just about everything he wrote on hindsight. I guess I'm still in the mode of lay back and let it flow type of a viewer.
What I did just finish watching and couldn't stand was Mirage of Blaze. I can't wait to get rid of that series. Same goes for Aquarian Age. To me, those two titles are unwatchable.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Neither My-Hime nor Infinite Ryvius has much of any similarity to Guilty Crown except possibly in the very vaguest sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Neither My-Hime nor Infinite Ryvius has much of any similarity to Guilty Crown except possibly in the very vaguest sense.

Oh I guess I misunderstood that part. I guess Carl was talking about the writers more than story line. What about Code Geass?? Is he on target with saying certain elements of Guilty Crown were taken straight from that series? The artwork really floored me in Guilty Crown.. So crisp. What would you suggest as something similar if you don't mind?
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Plot-wise and character-wise, Guilty Crown is most similar to Code Geass and Neon Genesis Evangelion (while Code Geass is most similar to Death Note, Gundam 00, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes).

As for something with good visuals (and presumably a lot of action), I recommend Redline and Gurren Lagann. Both shows are really dumb, but very entertaining.
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Plot-wise and character-wise, Guilty Crown is most similar to Code Geass and Neon Genesis Evangelion (while Code Geass is most similar to Death Note, Gundam 00, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes).

As for something with good visuals (and presumably a lot of action), I recommend Redline and Gurren Lagann. Both shows are really dumb, but very entertaining.

Thanks a bunch!! I really liked Death Note . Evangelion was not bad either. I do like good crisp artwork which I thought Guilty Crown had throughout. I of course like a good story line as well which to me GC didn't bother me with the story line I guess because I'm so green to that type of a story. I own Redline, but it was just a blur to me at the time. I may revisit that one as the most thing I remember was odd facial expressions and very fast speed / paced title.

I'll take your advice and check out Code Geass for sure. Hopefully the fact that it's Bandi won't keep it off shelves for long. Plus I like Clamp styled artwork. I'm also not familiar with Gurren Lagann, but sure am willing to take a chance based on your word. Which by the way I do want to thank you for your advice and input on an old forum subject matter. It's really helped me out!!!

Speaking of Code Geass... How many seasons are there? I see a "complete season 1" released as "Anime Classics" series, then what sellers are calling "part 2" and "part 3", and maybe "part 4". When I buy it, I want the whole thing, but the season vs. the parts have me a little confused. Thanks again for the great help and opinions Ignatz!! It's really appreciated!
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
I'm also not familiar with Gurren Lagann, but sure am willing to take a chance based on your word.

It's a bit shocking that you haven't heard about Gurren Lagann, as it is hyped by a lot of people. If you're not sure about buying it you should check out this review. Hope it helps.

gwdone wrote:
Speaking of Code Geass... How many seasons are there? I see a "complete season 1" released as "Anime Classics" series, then what sellers are calling "part 2" and "part 3", and maybe "part 4". When I buy it, I want the whole thing, but the season vs. the parts have me a little confused.

All I know is that Code Geass has two seasons which are called Lelouch of the Rebellion and Lelouch of the Rebellion R2.

Also, no need to thank me. I just threw a bunch of titles based on the similarities without giving any arguments. Don't take my recommendations for granted, do your own research, watch/read some reviews, and only buy the show if you liked everything you heard about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5