• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Finnish Embassy Explains How to Quote Madoka Magica in Finnish

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ani-watcher

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Wow! Even the Madoka series made a hugh impact on the Finnish government. No surprise because this series was a masterpiece that I enjoyed to absolutely no end.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica ftw!! Very Happy
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The embassy had previously used its Twitter account to acknowledge that it was aware of the Strike Witches anime series and later to mark the birthday of Strike Witches character Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen.

Hell yeah, Eila rocks.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
This is getting strange. Finland doesn't have nothing to with Madoka (unlike Strike Witches), so the reason for posting this is not apparent. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with it, though. The real strange thing is that the translation is strangely informal and not grammatically correct Finnish ( my translation of the phrase would be "Tee sopimus minun kanssani tullaksesi taikatytöksi"). Furthermore, the audio demo doesn't sound like it was made by a native Finnish speaker.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
It's curious that Finnish embassy is showing interest in Japanese pop culture, especially anime. What do they gain out of this? I'm sure they'll have great relationship with Japanese fans, but are there more to it?

I wonder if youth culture in Finland has some influence on the embassy...
Hainohaino

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
There is no "ä" and "ö" letters in it but it should be "Teepä sopimus mun kaa, ja tuu taikatytöks." And it's in a certain Finnish dialect or colloquial, so it's not right from the book. I know 'cause I'm Finnish :----D

And the people in the Finnish embassy probably just like Madoka Magica, so I cand find anything weird about it :---D

Last edited by Hainohaino on Sat May 05, 2012 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
testyal1

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Darn it, Finland! Now I have to choose between living in Germany, Japan or you!
maaya

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
This is getting strange. Finland doesn't have nothing to with Madoka (unlike Strike Witches), so the reason for posting this is not apparent.

The reason simply seems to be teaching some Finnish words to Japanese followers (they made some other posts explaining how to say "cold" and "hot") and using anime makes that more interesting, and yes, probably there are also some anime fans working in the embassy as well (young interns often take care of twitter accounts and similar stuff).
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
The real strange thing is that the translation is strangely informal and not grammatically correct Finnish ( my translation of the phrase would be "Tee sopimus minun kanssani tullaksesi taikatytöksi").

The Japanese phrase itself isn't formal speak, so it makes sense to translate it into a colloquial (not really grammatically incorrect) phrase.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Ani-watcher wrote:
Wow! Even the Madoka series made a hugh impact on the Finnish government.

Mr. Nescio wrote:
The real strange thing is that the translation is strangely informal and not grammatically correct Finnish ( my translation of the phrase would be "Tee sopimus minun kanssani tullaksesi taikatytöksi"). Furthermore, the audio demo doesn't sound like it was made by a native Finnish speaker.

That's because it's the Finnish Embassy in Tokyo.

The Finnish government probably doesn't even know anything about it.
partially

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ani-watcher wrote:
Wow! Even the Madoka series made a hugh impact on the Finnish government.

Mr. Nescio wrote:
The real strange thing is that the translation is strangely informal and not grammatically correct Finnish ( my translation of the phrase would be "Tee sopimus minun kanssani tullaksesi taikatytöksi"). Furthermore, the audio demo doesn't sound like it was made by a native Finnish speaker.

That's because it's the Finnish Embassy in Tokyo.

The Finnish government probably doesn't even know anything about it.

Not even that, it is their PR person in charge of the twitter account. This is simply the posting of a single individual working in a government posting and likely bored during an idle moment. I find it odd that people always think such things must be some sort of vast government push/conspiracy. It is simply a harmless curiosity hence why the persons superiors don't care or take it down.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
Tourism. When you hear something like this, you think, hey Finnland's pretty cool. And the next time you feel like traveling to Scandinavia to tour the fjords in a nice boat, you remember how cool Finland is, and you go there. And yes, the embassy probably just said "Henrikki the intern, just toss some Finnish/Japanese translations on twitter," and he ran with it, but it does increase goodwill between the two nations, which is the purpose of the embassy to begin with.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
I don't know who these guys over at the Finnish Embassy are, but they sure can't speak finnish.
zr2008

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Google translator from Finnish to English
Teepa contract my gas, and wind taikatytoks
And English to Finnish
Tee sopimus minun tulla maaginen tyttö

It seems to prefer this Finnish phrase to translate into English
Tee sopimus mun kaa, ja tuu taikatytoks
Make an agreement on my gas, and wind taikatytoks
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
Funny how some are complaining that the Finnish people working in the Finnish Embassy, can't speak Finnish properly. Makes one wonder who can't speak Finnish, the complainers or the Finnish Embassy.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
zr2008 wrote:
Google translator from Finnish to English
Teepa contract my gas, and wind taikatytoks
And English to Finnish
Tee sopimus minun tulla maaginen tyttö

It seems to prefer this Finnish phrase to translate into English
Tee sopimus mun kaa, ja tuu taikatytoks
Make an agreement on my gas, and wind taikatytoks

Hidden proof that Kyuubey is actually a skunk.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Funny how some are complaining that the Finnish people working in the Finnish Embassy, can't speak Finnish properly. Makes one wonder who can't speak Finnish, the complainers or the Finnish Embassy.

When I went to the American embassy in Tokyo in 2008, there were a few Japanese people and apparently an Englishman working there, too, so they aren't necessarily Finnish. Besides, I trust some of the Finnish people on this site to know what they're saying. =P
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2