• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Milos & Otis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
People seem to get upset at harem leads who are asexual, and also characters who are perverts like normal teenagers. What do you guys want out of a teenage main character?

Actually, I think as others have indicated, the problem is perverted harem leads who are also asexual. It doesn't matter if they are outwardly perverted or only repressed perverts, the vast majority of these shows being churned out have the same kind of guy as the male lead. He's a generally lonely or hapless guy who doesn't have real relationships with girls, and even if he's put out there as the lovable "nice guy," he still magically ends up groping girls breasts and butts by accident. Like 5 times a day, he trips and his face goes into some girl's huge breasts and he blushes like crazy. Then he gets punched in the face or beat up by a tsundere. He spends the entire series going back and forth, unsure about himself and whether or not he can be with one of the girls in his harem despite the fact that they are falling all over themselves to be his wife or cook food for him or do other menial tasks to make him happy, and maybe if we're lucky they hug and express some affection at the very end of the show after all the built up sexual tension.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
As a guy a bad comedy with boobs is just a bad comedy. Sad
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
People seem to get upset at harem leads who are asexual, and also characters who are perverts like normal teenagers. What do you guys want out of a teenage main character?

Actually, I think as others have indicated, the problem is perverted harem leads who are also asexual. It doesn't matter if they are outwardly perverted or only repressed perverts, the vast majority of these shows being churned out have the same kind of guy as the male lead. He's a generally lonely or hapless guy who doesn't have real relationships with girls, and even if he's put out there as the lovable "nice guy," he still magically ends up groping girls breasts and butts by accident. Like 5 times a day, he trips and his face goes into some girl's huge breasts and he blushes like crazy. Then he gets punched in the face or beat up by a tsundere. He spends the entire series going back and forth, unsure about himself and whether or not he can be with one of the girls in his harem despite the fact that they are falling all over themselves to be his wife or cook food for him or do other menial tasks to make him happy, and maybe if we're lucky they hug and express some affection at the very end of the show after all t
he built up sexual tension.

And since it's often obvious which girl the MC is gonna choose from the first episode, most of the series feels like a waste and pointless because it's obvious which girl is gonna "win" from the start.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Somewhat of a side note, but in regards to the harem shows where groping is so common, I wonder if there are any reverse harem shows where the female lead just gropes guys left and right, either by accident or in chibi versions. I haven't watched Yamada's First Time since we lost Funi on Verizon, but I didn't get the impression that she was groping anyone like that. Does that happen in any reverse harem shows? Do you think it's too taboo in Japanese culture for a female lead to be groping guys in their reverse harem?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Somewhat of a side note, but in regards to the harem shows where groping is so common, I wonder if there are any reverse harem shows where the female lead just gropes guys left and right, either by accident or in chibi versions. I haven't watched Yamada's First Time since we lost Funi on Verizon, but I didn't get the impression that she was groping anyone like that. Does that happen in any reverse harem shows? Do you think it's too taboo in Japanese culture for a female lead to be groping guys in their reverse harem?

Its not so much taboo as much as the fujoshi prefer having a female lead in those types of shows who doesn't do much more than fawn over the guys or have the guys treat her special, so they can place themselves in that girls position.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
So....it's the exact same situation as "normal" harems.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I can imagine that there must be SOME fujoshi out there who would enjoy the fantasy of groping cute guys. Maybe its not a majority but I don't know. It would seem normal that there would be a good amount but again, maybe that is a cultural thing.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Groping happens in yaoi, not reverse harem.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I would imagine so, but in yaoi it is the male groping another male, not a female groping a male. I haven't been watching a ton of new anime lately, but the only one I remember recently where it was a harem show with a guy getting groped by females was Kanokon (I think Sekirei comes close a few times, but I don't recall them actually groping him, maybe just threatening to). However, that wasn't reverse harem. So now i'm curious about whether or not it would be taboo in a reverse harem.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

you really didn't watch b gata h kei did you?? I wouldn't call that reverse harem but at least the female lead did some groping on kosuda for the lulz. Also it's always fun to watch beach epiosdes of shonen anime where you see buff six back ab guys, gee i wonder who they pandering who to...not that really bothers me.

Also to the weeks self-life person, you have a really nice collection keep it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daveriley

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
As for SnO Forte: Tomo's interests are completely normal. The way he goes about them, is NOT. Let me explain:

Interest: Wanting to peep at girls while they are changing/bathing.
Normal approach: Peeping at girls while they are changing/bathing.
Tomo's approach: Spending 6 months building an elaborate system of lens-tubes to peep anywhere from his bedroom.
Man, three pages late but, haha what?

This is how I might classify them:

Interest: Wanting to peep at girls while they are changing/bathing
Creepy-ass perv approach: peeping at girls while they are changing/bathing
INSANE Creepy-ass perv approach: something to do with those homemade submarine periscopes you make with mirrors, I guess? I've never seen the show.

Calling it a "normal" approach implies a layer of acceptability I'm not comfortable with.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
daveriley wrote:
Calling it a "normal" approach implies a layer of acceptability I'm not comfortable with.

1- It is an anime. Anime is pure fantasy.

2- Perverseness is 100% natural regardless of gender or orientation.

3- Tomoki gets beat up within an inch of his life after every fantasy ego trip of his.

4- Sora no Otoshimono is a pure comedy more than harem. The fanservice is mostly cutesy than something insane like Seikon no Qwaser. In fact, the reason so many people like Sora is because the show always makes fun of how over the top fanservice shows really are. It has a good sense of humor about itself.

Getting on a moralistic soapbox over the show is really misguided.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
...its just a cheap grab to make a little more money on a series, with out adding anything new.

Star of Milos isn't "cheap"! Also, it's clear in the extras that the staff love the show, and wanted to do more in that universe.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
...but a far more extreme version of myself.

...wait, what? I'm a little worried...

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As far as recommending SnO for boobs, nope. No nudity means it fails even for fanservice. I would rather revisit Qwaser, Manyuu Hikenchou, and Ladies Versus Butlers to get that fill, and they're all better shows to boot.

Your definition is a little extreme (nipples or it isn't sexy?). I was recommending it as boob-based comedy. So if Qwasar is slapstick...

DmonHiro wrote:
Get the picture?

Yes. Thank you for enlightening me, sir.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Nymph is amazing and wonderful and glorious. Easily the best character in the show...

I liked Nymph a lot better in Forte than the original. She is also my favorite character in that show.

RyanSaotome wrote:

I liked the male lead in Akikan and people freaked out.

Splitter wrote:
I can't blame you for finding Forte perishable, Erin, but I am sad you had nothing to say about Chaos. I was really hoping to hear what was your opinion on her and what she brought to the back half of the set.

I was worried when Chaos first arrived. I started preparing myself for a bunch of lolicon-based jokes. The show didin't go in that direction, however, and I was relieved when spoiler[Chaos returned as an adult.] I wasn't that impressed by her particular brand of madness. I liked the dub actress for Chaos.

Mikeski wrote:
My thought* on HLP: 40Ds... if a character spends so much time in chibi mode that you keep forgetting what he looks like full-size, you're trying too hard.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, there were at least two disturbing "Tomoki as a baby" gags. I mean, paraphilic infantilism... talk about perverted!
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Normally I would check out the flushables, but I already own it! Cool
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I passed up on Forte mainly because they didn't include the Blu-Ray in the package.

I was wondering about that! At first I thought maybe my copy was a screener or something. The DVD menues looked gross on my PS3, too.

KLAC wrote:
are you serious bro?

I am no bro!

KLAC wrote:
come not like you're against anime with like that give worse fears that manyuu hikenchou get a dub someday?

Just reading the Wikipedia description it sounds alarming... but if it was well-made it could still be good. You never know.

One reason Heaven's Lost Property is so irritating is because it's almost good. There are a lot of scenes that are almost funny, but for every time I chuckled there were about three scenes that made me cringe.

Animegomaniac wrote:
I'll just say they're robots created by and for that blonde evil guy with wings and leave it at that. At least the chibi forms weren't described as "limited animation" this time around.

Oh, I know the difference between chibi and limited animation. Some of the chibi scenes in the first season also used pretty limited animation. Other scenes were really well done with excessive animation.

geishageek wrote:
Erin has love for Meet the Feebles? I thought I was the only oddball in the universe that loves this movie!

I never said I loved it. I respect it.

Shippoyasha wrote:
2- Perverseness is 100% natural regardless of gender or orientation.

Whoa whoa, that gets back to a point I was trying to make originally. The definition of "Perverted" is "abnormal". It's totally normal to be interested in sex (regardless of gender or orientation). That's not "being perverted," save, perhaps, in a middle school slang sense of the word, where even a boy interested in kissing qualifies as a "pervert". For those interested in a truly "perverted" dark comedy, I'm going to recommend John Water's film Pink Flamingos. (I didn't make it through the first 10 minutes, but the Wikipedia description sounds hilarious...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7