• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oni-Con News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vekou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:22 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
I just want to know who at ADV finally decided to pick up Five Star Stories. And, for that matter, *why*? Pretty much anyone who's ever been interested in FSS has seen the thing years ago, and since they don't have the manga, it's not like they can do any kind of cross-promotion. I mean, yeah, it's nice to know the DVD will be in stores at some point, and of course I'll buy it, but I'll probably be one of like *five* people who actually will.

I'm interested in it and I haven't seen it. I've seen some of the model kits and the mecha designs just blew me away. Absolutely incredible stuff. And hey, maybe this will encourage them (or someone else) to pick up the manga.

On a side note, (this isn't directed at you) I find it really hilarious when people freak out about anime getting licensed as if they'll never be able to watch it again. Heh...
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:39 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
I just want to know who at ADV finally decided to pick up Five Star Stories. And, for that matter, *why*? Pretty much anyone who's ever been interested in FSS has seen the thing years ago, and since they don't have the manga, it's not like they can do any kind of cross-promotion. I mean, yeah, it's nice to know the DVD will be in stores at some point, and of course I'll buy it, but I'll probably be one of like *five* people who actually will.

I'm interested in it and I haven't seen it. I've seen some of the model kits and the mecha designs just blew me away. Absolutely incredible stuff. And hey, maybe this will encourage them (or someone else) to pick up the manga.

On a side note, (this isn't directed at you) I find it really hilarious when people freak out about anime getting licensed as if they'll never be able to watch it again. Heh...

The manga's already available translated in the US, though it can be hard to find outside of the Kinokuiya stores that put it out. BUT you can order it via Akadat at the least if not one or two other online retailers.

I've always been interested in seeing FSS but never got around to it, or even picked up the R0 legit subtitled DVD release from a year or two ago. So I'll be looking forward to this release too. We've almost got the five people who will get it!
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:51 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:

Don't get your expectations up, then. The OVA only covers the first volume of the manga (of what, about twenty-five now?), and maybe not even that much. The only mecha you ever really see is one version of the Knight of Gold, for all of a couple of minutes - so like I said, fan-pandering of the highest order...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:27 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:

it jsut pisses me off that i will have to wait at least a year till i see the end Evil or Very Mad
bigbigtruck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:30 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:

Seriously. OH NOES SOMEONE IS TRYING TO VIOLATE MY INALIENABLE RIGHT TO DOWNLOAD CARTOONS FOR FREE Rolling Eyes
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:29 am Reply with quote
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:

it jsut pisses me off that i will have to wait at least a year till i see the end :evil:

No you don't. You can take two thousand dollars, fly to Japan, find somebody who tapes it off TV and watch that, or at least buy the Japanese DVD once that comes out.

And if you don't read Japanese, or don't have the money, well I'm sorry, that's your problem, and not ADV's, or anyone else's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:

it jsut pisses me off that i will have to wait at least a year till i see the end Evil or Very Mad

No you don't. You can take two thousand dollars, fly to Japan, find somebody who tapes it off TV and watch that, or at least buy the Japanese DVD once that comes out.

And if you don't read Japanese, or don't have the money, well I'm sorry, that's your problem, and not ADV's, or anyone else's.

just when i thought admins and staff on this forum were nice people, you had to come along and change my opinion
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Allow me to be the voice of reason and say

1) Congratulations to ADV!

2) I'm glad that we'll have the opportunity to watch these shows on high quality DVDs with both dubs and subs legally on our R1 players. And if we don't want to sit through the What Is Anime? thing, we can just hit the Menu button. Yippee!!!

3) Anime smile Sorry you can't keep watching the show for free. But hey, the anticipation will make it all the better. Pluuuuus, no one ever actually stops subbing a show once it's picked up. Someone will inevitably pick it up. But the point is, you should be glad that a show you like is picked up so you can show your support for the people who worked so hard on it in Japan. Very Happy

4) Don't get Mad, get Glad. ;p It's not the end of the world. Believe it or not, ADV's doing you a favor by letting you watch the show in better resolution and professional translations (unless you watch it dubbed, Stephen Foster style. ;p). Be patient; there's plenty of shows out there to keep you occupied for a few months.

5) It'll be less than a year. ADV hardly sits on their titles for that long.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:10 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Allow me to be the voice of reason and say

1) Congratulations to ADV!

yes, congrats on causing more pain to the the people you make money of

Quote:
2) I'm glad that we'll have the opportunity to watch these shows on high quality DVDs with both dubs and subs legally on our R1 players. And if we don't want to sit through the What Is Anime? thing, we can just hit the Menu button. Yippee!!!
quality? yes. high quality? no, we get the cheap interalced stuff.

Quote:
3) Anime smile Sorry you can't keep watching the show for free. But hey, the anticipation will make it all the better. Pluuuuus, no one ever actually stops subbing a show once it's picked up. Someone will inevitably pick it up. But the point is, you should be glad that a show you like is picked up so you can show your support for the people who worked so hard on it in Japan. Very Happy

um, only one group was doing it, and very slowly, and now they dropped it. the rest stopped a long while ago. and you mind telling me what percantage of the DVD price is actaully going to the people in Japan?

Quote:
4) Don't get Mad, get Glad. ;p It's not the end of the world. Believe it or not, ADV's doing you a favor by letting you watch the show in better resolution and professional translations (unless you watch it dubbed, Stephen Foster style. ;p). Be patient; there's plenty of shows out there to keep you occupied for a few months.
dubs=waste of time. and yes there are PLENTY of shows to watch, but the point is it no fun at all when you get to the climax and then have to wait for so freaken long to see what happens

Quote:
5) It'll be less than a year. ADV hardly sits on their titles for that long.
lets see, they have only aquired the right so far, the way i hear it is that it takes at least 6 months since the company recieves the masters until its out on DVD dubbed and ready, and considering there will be a period of about a month between the volumes like there usually is, and the series would be 5-7 volumes, i would have to wait 4-6 months till the final 2 episodes. so your right, it wont be a year, it will be just short of one.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what the whole fuss is about, since Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! is crap (just as bland as ADV's other title, Gravion).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:46 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* I'm tired of having this same stupid debate every time something new is licensed. Never mind. We argue back with the same logic every time, yet the masses never listen.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:48 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
I don't know what the whole fuss is about, since Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! is crap (just as bland as ADV's other title, Gravion).

everyone got an opinion, and if i like something noone else can do jack about it

Quote:
*sigh* I'm tired of having this same stupid debate every time something new is licensed. Never mind. We argue back with the same logic every time, yet the masses never listen.

i just needed a place to vent my anger, im willing to drop this if noone continues
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:10 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Yeah, after saying the same things for about.. oh.. the 700th time, I kinda lost my energy to even try anymore.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:

No, this is the end of fansubs of Godannar completely. ADV sues the hell out of fansubbers who sub any of their licenses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
coachkaveman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:38 am Reply with quote
From what I read all american anime companies don't sue the hell out of sites. They REQUEST that those who are doing fansubs to please take them down, if the site refuses then they have to take legal action. I would be more afraid of the new Japanese Legal Defense force thats being created to fight piracy. As I read earlier this year at Expo, they come to you with lawyers in hand. Distributing fansubs will become a very high risk market soon, when the first fansubs group has a million in legal fees and jail time will any of the fans who download and whine send money to help them? probably not because its their fault(the fansub site) they got caught. But hey who cares if I can't get my free downloads then all fansites and companies suck!! Smile and poop on anyone who has talent and would like to earn a living from it, everything should be free!!!!

IMHO,

K
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3