• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Leader Invokes Sailor Moon During Korean Visit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlund

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I think people may have missed the context of the comment.

Aso was in South Korea visiting for a cultural exchange involving High School students from the two countries. The regular citizens in Korea and Japan don't holiday in their neighbor's respective nations. They don't share a language. They've had some very bad history stemming from Imperial Japanese occupation prior to World War II.

They are completely different governments and nations than they were before, but there is still a wall there. One of the few things they share more openly are Manga, Anime, and the odd transnational movie or drama series. Their average citizen's view of the life of a high school student in the other country is what they take away from pop-culture. The point of the exchange of High School students was to step beyond the superficial perceptions from fiction Manga and Anime (like Sailor Moon, which has enjoyed a ton of success in both countries) and understand what life's like on the other side.

I know idioms and allusion don't always translate that well, but cut the guy a little slack. He's actually on-topic with his point: The program is letting them learn more about what is fact and what is fiction than their pop-culture exchanges never could.

At least, that's what I take away from it.

- Marty Lund
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
"When these fictional characters wear sailor uniforms, it looks good. In reality, Kim Jong Il would not look the same."
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
"When these fictional characters wear sailor uniforms, it looks good. In reality, Kim Jong Il would not look the same."
Which is why he never wears them in public. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:
Why the heck would you even consider using a kids show as a reference? This guy is nuts. No offense meant but it is a kids show.

Actually, the original version of Sailor Moon was aimed at junior high girls (12-15), so it's not entirely inappropriate for the age group he was addressing. I'd classify this comment under "World Leader Tries to Use a Pop Culture Reference and Winds Up Making People Worldwide Facepalm," which seems to happen on a regular basis in the US Congress (all carefully documented by the Daily Show). There's no real harm in it, it's just stupid.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I get what he's trying to say but the whole "Look I'm an otaku" thing is a bit annoying. Don't most japanese people think that's weird anyway? I guess it's the same as using Friends as an example or something but it's just you know we get it already.
Caloris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Of course Sailormoon is real. She's just hiding.
Paludis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:
I like that he says "In Japan I'm more well known for being a manga geek." I say no wonder he won the election then, all the hard-core otakus skulked out to the voting booths to elect him, clutching their collectible trading cards of Aso afterwords.

He hasn't won an election, he's only PM because the previous two PMs from his party resigned.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
GeneralArrow wrote:
Why the heck would you even consider using a kids show as a reference? This guy is nuts. No offense meant but it is a kids show.

Yeah, if you were watching the North American edited version. It got kind of questionable towards the end if you look at it from a North American perspective. However I don't know how far the series went in North America.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
GeneralArrow wrote:

Actually, the original version of Sailor Moon was aimed at junior high girls (12-15), so it's not entirely inappropriate for the age group he was addressing.

Yeah, if those school kids even remember it because, in the famous words of today's youths, "that's, like, a billion years ago, grandpa!" Laughing

(Going back to my comment about Mitt Romney awkwardly remarking "Who let the dogs out? Whoo! Whoo!" around the black kids.)
Shii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Slightly off topic but, is Sailor Moon still popular now and days? I thought that series concluded years ago.
It's popular in Korea... I'm thinking that's the context.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Paludis wrote:
Axe-336 wrote:
I like that he says "In Japan I'm more well known for being a manga geek." I say no wonder he won the election then, all the hard-core otakus skulked out to the voting booths to elect him, clutching their collectible trading cards of Aso afterwords.

He hasn't won an election, he's only PM because the previous two PMs from his party resigned.

Yeah, in a parliamentary system, the PM is chosen by the party in power (in Japan this has nearly always been the LDP), not the general public.

And if he did somehow get young people to come out and vote, I'd say more power to him, since Japan's voter turnout has been dropping a lot in recent years.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I used to teach an advanced class at a respected high school in Kanagawa a year or two ago. We were talking about our dreams as children one day, and we took a poll about what people wanted to be as a child.

Sailor Moon was a surprisingly popular response.

Maybe not SO out-of-touch, as it still resonates.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
aluria wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:

The manga and anime ended in the 1990s, but there was a recent (well, relatively) live-action TV series and I believe a new edition of the manga as well. Last I checked, the series was still in print in French, Italian, and German.

Lucky bastards, I wish TokyoPop was still printing it

Shame we never got newer editions for that besides the tiny pocket copies they printed.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
mlund wrote:
I think people may have missed the context of the comment.

Aso was in South Korea visiting for a cultural exchange involving High School students from the two countries. The regular citizens in Korea and Japan don't holiday in their neighbor's respective nations. They don't share a language. They've had some very bad history stemming from Imperial Japanese occupation prior to World War II.

They are completely different governments and nations than they were before, but there is still a wall there. One of the few things they share more openly are Manga, Anime, and the odd transnational movie or drama series. Their average citizen's view of the life of a high school student in the other country is what they take away from pop-culture. The point of the exchange of High School students was to step beyond the superficial perceptions from fiction Manga and Anime (like Sailor Moon, which has enjoyed a ton of success in both countries) and understand what life's like on the other side.

I know idioms and allusion don't always translate that well, but cut the guy a little slack. He's actually on-topic with his point: The program is letting them learn more about what is fact and what is fiction than their pop-culture exchanges never could.

At least, that's what I take away from it.

- Marty Lund

We can only hope this'll open them up to more better goals in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2