• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Half-Season Princess Resurrection, Clannad Sets Slated

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I would've liked to have a nice, sturdy artbox as well (since I presume that we won't be getting on at that price point), but you can't really complain about it being for $40 per cour.

I was already sold from the get-go, but it'll be nice saving that $110 for other anime/manga titles.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The prices are awfully low for first-edition releases. I hope they actually make money on those sets.
Goku_B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I just read on ANN that ADV will be selling Clannad & Princess Resurrection in half series & pricing them $39.98.And won't sell them as seperate dvds.To me that just stinks.I know it's alot cheaper for us but I don't like it.I know that Funimation is doing the the same thing.I still don't like it.It's cheaper & quicker to complete the series.But I prefer the single dvds (art box optional) than half series sets & econamy box sets.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Goku: You pre-order those suckers on-line, though, and you get a better deal than you would on individual discs.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
So you enjoy waiting for an ungodly number of months to complete a series? Confused
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Unit: I think he means he's in the "Not sure if I wanna buy all of it" camp.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that what Netflix/Amazon VOD/whatever is for...?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I don't know, I'm only seeing one "much-wanted" series out of these two, and it isn't Princess Resurrection. Even at the fansub level, PR pulled down numbers similar to other presumed R1 duds like Snow Fairy Sugar, Doki Doki School Hours, and Aquarian Age TV.
Hey! I've got 2/3 of those presumed duds! I can honestly say I wasn't part of the problem. (Plus both are Geneon releases meaning they cost more per volume and much more per box set than most anime releases.)

Zalis116 wrote:
At least from the numbers I can find, anyway. And what about Best Buy's "No more anime with 'Princess' in the title" policy, anyway? "Ultramaiden Resurrection," perhaps?
Is that a real policy? Silly one if it is.

Regardless, I think putting too much emphasis on Best Buy is a big mistake. With DVD sales down overall and anime sales down more, seems like a losing proposition to rely on them at all. I'm worried about ADV's future and this might put them on better ground.

$39.98 is a nice price no matter how you slice it though. They must be expecting decent sales from both.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY reliable way to get anime is online -- Amazon for the WEEEEN.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Good move, ADV. I don't have any interest in Clannad, but PR might be considered

Also, I've never understood the criticism of Funi's half-season set packaging. Just what do you guys do with your DVDs, throw them around and toss bricks at them?! I own TV show DVD sets of similar packaging that have been in my collection for 4-5 years, and they're in just as good as condition as when I bought them. Funi shouldn't be held responsible if some people can't treat their DVD sets with care.

I think the problem is just that it LOOKS so flimsy ... and also, it's more likely that it will get damaged in-store (like 3/4 of the manga I see on the shelves...) Also, I'm anal-retentive about my anime/manga ... super careful, and the Ouran flimsy-ness is still a problem (that's the one I have - part one of Ouran Host Club) ... part of it won't even stay closed on its own (you can open the back part - like a box - it isn't even sturdy enough to really stay closed). And you can't tell if it's cheap/crappy when you buy it because it's all sealed up w/ shrink wrap.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Clannad is my least favorite of the Key "trilogy" (Kanon, Air, Clannad), so I probably won't buy it, but I adore my Air and Kanon box sets (in the art box). They were expensive to collect, though, I'll admit. I wish that funimation would bacg the cardboard and go w/ the nicer looking thinpacks ... something closer to ADV's thinpacks (which tend to be the same price! - Elfen Lied, AzuDaioh, etc.) Shakugan no Shana is another example of a great looking thinpack. My Ouran part I is just shoddy.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it isn't just FUNi sets.

My Thinpak collections of RahXephon and Full Metal Panic that I ordered not too long ago came with slightly beat-up boxes...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Good move, ADV. I don't have any interest in Clannad, but PR might be considered

Also, I've never understood the criticism of Funi's half-season set packaging. Just what do you guys do with your DVDs, throw them around and toss bricks at them?! I own TV show DVD sets of similar packaging that have been in my collection for 4-5 years, and they're in just as good as condition as when I bought them. Funi shouldn't be held responsible if some people can't treat their DVD sets with care.

I think the problem is just that it LOOKS so flimsy ... and also, it's more likely that it will get damaged in-store (like 3/4 of the manga I see on the shelves...) Also, I'm anal-retentive about my anime/manga ... super careful, and the Ouran flimsy-ness is still a problem (that's the one I have - part one of Ouran Host Club) ... part of it won't even stay closed on its own (you can open the back part - like a box - it isn't even sturdy enough to really stay closed). And you can't tell if it's cheap/crappy when you buy it because it's all sealed up w/ shrink wrap.

Ah, well, the only damaged set I've bought in stores is Ghost Hunt Part 1 without looking (could've seen the spine was bent in, just wasn't paying attention), and FYE let me exchange it.

Well, most of the complaints I've heard was that the packaging is "fragile", which it really isn't as long as you treat them good. Of course, looking good is another thing altogether (though they look fine to me, but that's just me).

Unit: What the heck?! Aren't those the super hard ADV-style type of sets? What could have damaged those?! Did you get a refund or exchange, or was the damage not enough to be a concern?
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
It's not just half-season sets, which I fully support when they make sense. It's half-season sub only set in Clannad's case.

That's just ... ugh.. insanely irritating for a series of Clannad's caliber. The series that are released sub only to this point are very miniscule in terms of fan support and interest. You can see this clearly from the amount of votes Aria and Emma receive. I could understand those being sub-only. But not Clannad. That makes no sense to me at all, unless they plan on doing what was done with Gurren Lagann and doing it both ways (which... honestly I think that probably didn't make money but I have no way of knowing).

I've posted more thoughts on this under the retail thread about ADV's solicitations, but basically I'm pretty annoyed and posted as such on ADV's site as well. I really was looking forward to a good Clannad release, and will even support their silly sub-only nonsense if they promise to make a dub.

Actually, just as another comparison. Not only have I never heard of Princess Resurrection, it has under 300 ratings on this site. Kanon has 1700, and Clannad over 1500 while popular single volume series like Claymore have 2200 (Claymore's older though, and understandably more popular due to genre). I don't see why Clannad is being given the sub-only treatment like Princess Resurrection.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
At least from the numbers I can find, anyway. And what about Best Buy's "No more anime with 'Princess' in the title" policy, anyway? "Ultramaiden Resurrection," perhaps?
Is that a real policy? Silly one if it is.
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
2. What do you mean by their policy of not stocking Princess-titled shows?? This is a joke policy, right?

...Right?
It's no joke; that's the explanation I've heard from ADV-affiliated people at conventions on several different occasions for why the "UFO Princess Valkyrie" franchise was released as UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie.

Although I think I saw Princess Minerva when I was at BB today, so maybe they've relaxed that policy.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 27