• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Half-Season Princess Resurrection, Clannad Sets Slated

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
Damn ADV Love kicking me in the ballz >_>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

It wasn't worth seeing anyway.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

Clannad was the only anime I wanted to buy in 2009. however when I saw it was being released as sub-only I now will not buy it. If I do that only tells ADV I support sub-only and after awhile you will only be able to buy sub-only animes.

Some people will say Clannad is stupid or its not worth my money even with a dub, but when ADV license an anime that you really want and releases it sub-only I am going to laugh at you. If we all tell them we will not buy Clannad sub-only you will not have to worry that ADV will license and sub-only your favorite anime.

If nobody email them that just lets them know they can get away with whatever they want. So email ADV and tell them No Dub No Buy.

[email protected]

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

When ADV license an anime that you really want and releases it sub-only I am going to laugh at you. If we all tell them we will not buy Clannad sub-only you will not have to worry that ADV will license and sub-only your favorite anime.

If nobody email them that just lets them know they can get away with whatever they want. So email ADV and tell them No Dub No Buy.

[email protected]

Wait dude who are you talking to. I have E-mailed them at 4 different addresses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Wait dude who are you talking to.

I thought it was pretty clear he's talking to walw6pK4Alo.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
Anyone that reads it
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
but when ADV license an anime that you really want and releases it sub-only I am going to laugh at you. If nobody email them that just lets them know they can get away with whatever they want.

I was talking about Indian Summer, and they're a company, they can do whatever they want with their products. And if they were to license a show I really liked and released it sub-only, I'd have no problem, because the price would be reasonable unlike Bandai Visual/Honneamise.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
Well, if it's addressed to anyone that reads it...

chrisc1978 wrote:
but when ADV license an anime that you really want and releases it sub-only I am going to laugh at you. If we all tell them we will not buy Clannad sub-only you will not have to worry that ADV will license and sub-only your favorite anime.

Let me get this straight: you're going to laugh at me when ADV licenses a show I really want and releases it in a way that's acceptable to me? I will be buying Clannad sub-only, and if I have any worries about ADV releases of shows I want, it's whether the release will be completed, not whether they'll dub it.

<edit>
And you know what? I've got half a mind to email ADV and tell them I approve of the way they're doing their release of Clannad.
</edit>
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
Don't give me the "moral obligation" crap. It's a business. Plain and simple. You want me to buy your product, then you need to offer something that I want to buy. With a sub-only release, they don't do that.

Where are their morals and ethics when they completely snub the dub fans by licensing a series and not dubbing it? It's a monetary business decision. I can respect it. But I'm also making a "monetary business decision" by sticking with my fansubs if they aren't going to put forth the effort to put out something worth buying, then I'm not putting forth my valuable anime funds to buy it. I can be cold and calculating too.

I don't think "I'm not going to buy licensed subtitled DVDs, I'm going to stick to illegal subtitled fansubs instead" is all that persuasive an argument.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
And you know what? I've got half a mind to email ADV and tell them I approve of the way they're doing their release of Clannad.

I have do problem with that is you don't ever watch the dub.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Why should that be a problem that we prefer watching shows about Japanese kids doing Japanese things in Japan while speaking Japanese?

A lot of don't like a good amount of dubs for various reasons, which is why sub-only releases aren't the end of the world.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Why should that be a problem that we prefer watching shows about Japanese kids doing Japanese things in Japan while speaking Japanese?

A lot of don't like a good amount of dubs for various reasons, which is why sub-only releases aren't the end of the world.

I will never buy a sub-only anime. I just will not buy anything from ADV anymore if it does not have a dub.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
I will never buy a sub-only anime.

That is, of course, up to you. But what's the problem with people who watch stuff subbed buying sub-only releases?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I will be buying Clannad sub-only, and if I have any worries about ADV releases of shows I want, it's whether the release will be completed, not whether they'll dub it.

If it's of any interest to you, exhange rate permitting I'll do likewise. Although I technically fall outside their market I assume I'm the sort of person to whom ADV are aiming this release, and thus it is up to people like myself to try and prevent their move backfiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Emma, A Victorian Romance. for me if that was dubbed with American VA's, it still would be sub only. Wink I could care less about extras , or packaging, as longs as I get the story with a proper dub. They can send it in a plain brown envelope, for it's all I want.

Even if they used British accents?

I was thinking they could call up New Generation Pictures to dub it, seeing as how half the dub actors on Hellsing were British VAs. Or they could see if Manga Entertainment UK wants to get back in the saddle (Seeing what they did with The Heroic Legend of Arslan, ditching their practice of dubbing with fake American accents and opting for the British feel we've come to expect in live-action films set in the days of yore).
My money waits for the British dub of Emma, and I'm not the only one. Wink
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 27