• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Still Fighting It

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It could be the characters, as I've always found them to be the blandest bunch in the entire fighting genre (well, OK, Kensei: Sacred Fist is worse).

Hey, what other game lets you have not Steven Segal fight not Robert Smith?
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2o7APSuLjH8

Oh, I think VF5 can get pretty memorable...

With VF5FS and Skullgirls and KOF I think I'm pretty much good for the genre forever.

Thoughts: Phantom Breaker was mentioned and I have to warn anybody considering it, it's a terrible game. I've got it on order because I can't resist stuff that bad.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2o7APSuLjH8

Oh, I think VF5 can get pretty memorable...

Customization in the game is crazy (to the extent where I have to actually pay attention to the character's fight style to tell who is who sometimes).

If I understood that post SRK correctly, you can apparently get the game and all the costume items (which is like in the thousands) for like $45-$60?

But, first of all, I need to finally get a stick (again)...
DJcream

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo_oTzd0k58
Yeah, VF5 has its moments.

Sometimes I wish that fighting games go into another decade-long dark age so people can actually have time to take a good hard look at what games are available and play them, rather than bandwagon onto the next game.

Right now, I'm cool with KOF and Skullgirls, but I still want to play Melty Blood and Marvel whenever the game comes up in gatherings.
DJcream

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
If I understood that post SRK correctly, you can apparently get the game and all the costume items (which is like in the thousands) for like $45-$60?

But, first of all, I need to finally get a stick (again)...
I know that the game will retail for $15 so that's a really good price point. I'm not sure about how much all the items will come out to.

As for an arcade stick, VF only has like 3 buttons so I think this is one of the few fighting games that is actually pad friendly.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
DJcream wrote:

Right now, I'm cool with KOF and Skullgirls, but I still want to play Melty Blood and Marvel whenever the game comes up in gatherings.

I've played both VF and KOF and I honestly feel like KOF is harder
(but it could be because I'm not a fan of meter-management); I'm surprised at how people perceive the game to be at this unreachable height of difficulty (like, when all else fails: 2P or throw)... rather than being "super hard", I think the game is most interesting because of the apparent lack of BS and reliance on just playing solid footsies.

But then, I dunno; haven't properly grinded out the game yet, so we shall see...

DJcream wrote:

As for an arcade stick, VF only has like 3 buttons so I think this is one of the few fighting games that is actually pad friendly.

I don't wanna be a fraud and play with the macros; lawlz.

(also, on pad without macros would be miserable, I think... but I'm not sure)
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
My one pet peeve with Tokitowa and other games who try to do this is having 3D backgrounds. 2D artwork celshading just contrast too much with the 3D there. The celshading is wonderful and wish the backgrounds can look more 2D.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, Kingdom Hearts 3DS actually progresses the story forward more so than the other spin-offs (358/2 Days and Re-Coded come to mind). Heck, even Birth by Sleep gives some hints as to what direction the story is going to take and that was prequel to all the other games. 3DS is the only game so far that actually continues from where KH2 left off with Sora, Riku, and the others. It's like how Chain of Memories was to KH1 and KH2. The only difference being that 3DS actually has new content to discover where as CoM was just more or less a rehash of the Disney Worlds explored in the first game. I hated 358/2 Days for those same reasons.

Last edited by Son-kun on Thu May 17, 2012 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
VF might in fact be one of the most mind-boggingly deep fighters I've ever seen. There are no gimmicks, no bs uber-moves, just fighting at its purest. It's probably one of the most technical fighters I've ever seen.

DD is looking to be interesting, if only because it's like Elder Scrolls with combat that's actually INTERESTING. There's nothing quite like grappling onto a griffin and then shanking it repeatedly.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps it'll scare off Western players with the overt anime collusion, but Aquapazza's already received a fair share of attention. And its PlayStation 3 version may get more notice yet when it arrives in Japan this July.

When you mean Western Players, you mean those from the rest of the world or just from the U.S.?

He means everything from the West of Japan to the East.

Haterater wrote:
My one pet peeve with Tokitowa and other games who try to do this is having 3D backgrounds. 2D artwork celshading just contrast too much with the 3D there. The celshading is wonderful and wish the backgrounds can look more 2D.

It's not cel shading, it's hand drawn sprites like what 2D fighters have been doing lately. Overall the game looks great, but I do admit the contrast in that scene is a bit jarring compared to some of the others we've seen.

I'd be disappointed in Atelier Meruru being delayed if I didn't come to expect it. I don't remember the last game I got from them that wasn't delayed for some reason or another be it bad weather, errors, forgetting to pack something in the game box, or in this case a delay in the "manufacturing process". Usually the delay only effects the ones sold through their store, must have been something big to delay all copies for a week. Oh well, gives me a little more time to finish up Neptunia MK2.

Every time I see talk of a new Virtua Fighter I wish Sega would go ahead and make a new Fighters Megamix. Probably take a lot of work considering they'd have to build most of the characters from scratch, but it sure would be fun.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

He means everything from the West of Japan to the East.

Ah, you mean the U.S.? Too bad the Japanese stills consider the U.S as the whole Western side of the world... Rolling Eyes
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Keep wanting to say cel shading instead of hand drawn. I guess its confusing me because of the environments and contrast.
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
Todd, I don't want to sound rude but you should change the name of your colum to "The Fighting X Button". For the past weeks you have been writing exclusively about fighting games. I know you love them, but I'm sure there are other things to check out there.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Todd, I don't want to sound rude but you should change the name of your colum to "The Fighting X Button". For the past weeks you have been writing exclusively about fighting games. I know you love them, but I'm sure there are other things to check out there.

*looks at the last 4 weeks, looks at games that are talked about*

* indicates it was this week's column
Games are listed twice if they are discussed in two separate articles

Fighting Games
Mortal Kombat (releases)
Phantom Breaker (releases)
*Virtua Fighter (opening)
*Aquapazza (feature)
*Chaos Code (feature)
*Persona 4: Arena (feature)
*Shin Koihime Muso (feature)
*Goketsuji Ichizoku Matsuri Senzo Kuyou (feature)
*Vanguard Princess (feature)

Non-Fighting Games
Pandora's Tower (opening, import roundup)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (news)
Animal Crossing (3DS) (news)
unnamed Wii compilation of Kirby games (news)
Guild01 (news)
Class of Heroes: Chrono Academy (news)
Dragon's Crown (news)
Record of Agarest War 2 (news)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica TPS Featuring Homura Akemi (news)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (news)
Code of Princess (import roundup)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (import roundup)
Urban Champion (opening)
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (news)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (news)
Grand Knights History (news)
Class of Heroes 2 (news)
Conception: Please Bear my Child (news)
La Mulana (news)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (opening)
Monster World IV (opening)
Ragnarok Odyssey (news)
Orgarhythm (news)
Sol Trigger (news)
Pokemon Conquest (news)
Akai Katana (releases)
Game of Thrones (releases)
Diablo III (releases)
Max Mayne 3 (releases)
Battleship (releases)
Toki to Towa (news)
Kingdom Hearts 3D (news)
Tales of the World: Tactics Union (news)
*Dragon's Dogma (releases)
*Mario Tennis Open releases)

Okay, so discounting titles that were discussed more than once, there have been 9 fighting games discussed in the past month (7 this week, 6 of which were in a fighting games feature), out of 43 total games discussed (9 this week).

Yes, this week, due to the Feature, has 7 of 9 games discussed as fighting games, but I hardly think that a mere 20% of the past month's games constitutes "exclusively".
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Not totally on the topic of fighting games, but I figure this is a good place to put it since its the Game topic...

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/16/nobuo-uematsu-summoned-for-neptunia-v/

Now Neptunia V has Nobuo Uematsu doing the music! This series is getting more and more legit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3