• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Still Fighting It

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Good read as always.

Count me as a fan that Dragon's Dogma isn't multiplayer. It's hard to enjoy the romanticism of a intensily constructed world when you have two players. With one player, the player can customize their experience and the length of time they want to enjoy something.

With more players, that time becomes an average of the two members and so the goals have to be complicated to reward players for their ingenuity.

So I appreciate when I game pours their energy into the aesthetic single player experience. Capcom be damned for many things, I still find they can make a good game. Hopefully they will succeed here - not because it'll help Capcom, but because it'll be good for players.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Tekken 1 didn't look all that great either.

Besides, the fact that Virtua Fighter had no story (and I was a fan of the anime too) was kind of the point. It was about the fighting, forsaking over the top energy blasts for semi-realistic bare knuckle action. And in that sense, it works very well.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Virtua Fighter is the best, but as long as you realize that you're wrong, I can forgive. I've played pretty much every fighter to come out in the last 4 years, and dozens prior, and every time I go back to Virtua Fighter I think 'Wow! Why am I wasting my time with other games? Oh right, because NOBODY PLAYS THIS ONE.' It's so much more fun than Tekken, and I like Tekken plenty. Sure, most of the characters are pretty vanilla, but most of Tekken's cast is either really boring, or really stupid. It's not all that different in that regard.

And it's pretty embarrassing that we still have people complaining about the price of the DLC when the main game is only $15. That's $15 for all of the characters, stages, modes, and every character has 6 costumes. Somehow, some people think that's a bad deal because 'the DLC costs more than the game'. If the game cost $60 and the DLC totaled $30 would that suddenly be acceptable? There's no pleasing these people.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Virtua Fighter is the best, but as long as you realize that you're wrong, I can forgive. I've played pretty much every fighter to come out in the last 4 years, and dozens prior, and every time I go back to Virtua Fighter I think 'Wow! Why am I wasting my time with other games? Oh right, because NOBODY PLAYS THIS ONE.' It's so much more fun than Tekken, and I like Tekken plenty. Sure, most of the characters are pretty vanilla, but most of Tekken's cast is either really boring, or really stupid. It's not all that different in that regard.

And it's pretty embarrassing that we still have people complaining about the price of the DLC when the main game is only $15. That's $15 for all of the characters, stages, modes, and every character has 6 costumes. Somehow, some people think that's a bad deal because 'the DLC costs more than the game'. If the game cost $60 and the DLC totaled $30 would that suddenly be acceptable? There's no pleasing these people.

No, that wouldn't be acceptable either since DLC as a whole is a cancer... especially release date DLC. There is absolutely no reason it shouldn't be in the game. It just means Sega is greedy and wanted to make some extra money off of it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
There is absolutely no reason it shouldn't be in the game. It just means Sega is greedy and wanted to make some extra money off of it.

Really? I'm not especially familiar with the game in question but if I understand correctly they're selling the game for a minuscule $15. You don't think that qualifies as a reason?

Selling people a supposedly complete product for $60 and then turning around and asking them to pay more for additional pieces is skeevy. However, this seems like the fair way to sell DLC. Let people have the partial game for cheap and then make up for that by selling the rest of the content as DLC. It's certainly a different business model and not one I prefer but I don't think you can accuse them of trying to squeeze out "extra money". They've just distributed the cost differently.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
The DLC consists entirely of dress-up items. From a tournament standpoint, for $15 you get everything. They could've just made the whole game $45 (or $60), but they didn't. Considering how few people care about VF, and how little publicity this release is getting, I doubt it would've made a big difference in terms of sales. I'm really not understanding the issue.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Selling people a supposedly complete product for $60 and then turning around and asking them to pay more for additional pieces is skeevy.

No it isn't. Forza Motorsport 4 has had over 110+ cars added to it with it's 7+ DLC packs. I don't regret spending 60 bucks on that DLC. Hell, I wouldn't regret paying $120 on the DLC. And many fans of FM4 agree with me. Not all DLC is a money-grabbing scheme by DA BIG CORPARATIONS OUT TO STEAL MAI MONEYZ.

People need to stop getting so goddamn asshurt over DLC: it's here, it's gonna stay, deal with it.

Not to mention that your argument is so ridiculous and to be completely impossible to take seriously. The f*ckin game is complete. They then made more content for it, and you expect to have it for free? Goddamn today's generations is pathetically spoiled.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Selling people a supposedly complete product for $60 and then turning around and asking them to pay more for additional pieces is skeevy.

No it isn't. Forza Motorsport 4 has had over 110+ cars added to it with it's 7+ DLC packs. I don't regret spending 60 bucks on that DLC. Hell, I wouldn't regret paying $120 on the DLC. And many fans of FM4 agree with me. Not all DLC is a money-grabbing scheme by DA BIG CORPARATIONS OUT TO STEAL MAI MONEYZ.

People need to stop getting so goddamn asshurt over DLC: it's here, it's gonna stay, deal with it.

Not to mention that your argument is so ridiculous and to be completely impossible to take seriously. The f*ckin game is complete. They then made more content for it, and you expect to have it for free? Goddamn today's generations is pathetically spoiled.

I have no problems with DLC either. I mean some of it could be a bit cheaper but really how is this any different than say expansion packs that happened before DLC was around. It is really the same thing just now it is downloaded file.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
I just miss the days when we were sold a full game, instead of bits and pieces. But hey, this is the direction its going now so I guess I'll either have to stop gaming or adapt... I'm trying to hold on as long as I can though since I still haven't bought any paid DLC yet.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
Except it's usually not that bad. Not every game is a capcom game*. What is so wrong with the devs making extra content (that was started on after the game was released) to prolong the life of the game?

This whole "unfinished" argument strikes me as representing all od DLC with the few that is nothing but a cheap money-grabbing scheme. Yea, paying for the content that's on the disc is BS, but I did it for FM4's American Muscle Pack (I need my American Iron, dammit!).
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
N.R. wrote:
Todd, I don't want to sound rude but you should change the name of your colum to "The Fighting X Button". For the past weeks you have been writing exclusively about fighting games. I know you love them, but I'm sure there are other things to check out there.

*looks at the last 4 weeks, looks at games that are talked about*

Okay, so discounting titles that were discussed more than once, there have been 9 fighting games discussed in the past month (7 this week, 6 of which were in a fighting games feature), out of 43 total games discussed (9 this week).

Yes, this week, due to the Feature, has 7 of 9 games discussed as fighting games, but I hardly think that a mere 20% of the past month's games constitutes "exclusively".

I knew someone will say this. But just mentioning a game's name is not writing about it. Todd writes long introductions, reviews and interviews about fighting games. Again, nothing wrong with that but I'd love to see a more balanced column.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Again, outside of this week's feature, only TWO fighting games have even been mentioned in the past month, and those were both releases. If anything, it seems pretty obvious that he covers more RPGs than anything else.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Again, outside of this week's feature, only TWO fighting games have even been mentioned in the past month, and those were both releases. If anything, it seems pretty obvious that he covers more RPGs than anything else.

Well, that is what comes out that's notable from Japan.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:

Thoughts: Phantom Breaker was mentioned and I have to warn anybody considering it, it's a terrible game. I've got it on order because I can't resist stuff that bad.

Aww, it's not that terrible. Well, compared to modern day fighters it is bad, but it sorta plays like old fighting games from the 90s. Slow and somewhat clunky, but plays fine if we were still in that era.

Yea...I'm not making a good argument that Phantom Breaker is actually any good.

Anywho, you want terrible? Go play Twinkle Queen on the Wii.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

That is simply inane reasoning.

"That's how it is and so nobody should criticize it" is not and will never be valid. It's just a blatant BS deflection people throw out there selectively only when they see a criticism they don't agree with. For example:

Quote:
Yea, paying for the content that's on the disc is BS

On disc DLC is also here, it's also most likely gonna stay despite you getting "asshurt" as you put it. If we apply your reasoning...Apparently that means you've got to just deal with it. Oh, but surprise, you don't. Instead you complain about how it's BS.

Like I said, just a selectively applied deflection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3