• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Problems accessing the ANNcast

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simbaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
Hi there, been trying to access and listen to the ANNcast's most recent episode, and have been unable to.

The player on the site does not work for me, nor does direct downloading work as well. I've tried to search for the ANNcast on the itunes store, and apparantly, it suddenly is no longer available in the store for my specific country, Singapore.

The funny thing is that I've been listening with no problems till this very last episode, and i have seen the ANNcast on the itunes store before. The player on the site and the direct download worked in all instances before this most recent podcast. As I subscribe to other podcasts from the US as well, this strikes me as very perplexing.

Does anyone have this problem, or is this some form of technical bug? I love the ANNcast, and really want to keep listening.

Thanks
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
I recall Zac saying something on Twitter last night about a conflict with Apple over their iTunes feed. But the site version seems to work fine for me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, here's what I think happened.

Apple is removing the MobileMe service from its list of podcast hosts they accept, and as a result they're pruning the list of podcasts. We don't use MobileMe, but we've had a duplicate feed on the iTunes store for years now, and once they directed the clean-up robot at the podcast list, our "duplicate" feed got removed. The problem is, most people used that "duplicate" - it had all of our ratings and reviews on it. That's the one they took down.

If you search for the show in the store in the US, it's still there, but it's the feed nobody ever used. I didn't know it's impacting international audiences - this entire situation pisses me off mightily. I've also learned that getting Apple to respond to anything at all related to podcast issues is basically impossible, so I have no idea if I can get the old feed back.

However, you shouldn't be having any issues using the player on the site, or direct-downloading it. Nothing's changed on our end with our server and nothing on the show's actual page pings Apple's servers, so if you're having an issue even getting the direct-download version, we may have other problems. Guh.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
errr... I didn't know there were two podcast feeds or that we were even having a problem before I read your tweet, so I have to assume I've been using the iTunes Store feed since day one. So at least one person's been using that feed all this time Razz

Actually, I seem to remember that the link wasn't working here, for me, when AnnCast first started and that's why I went through the store (you may have even told me, or the thread at the time, to do that if we had problems). Anyway, I never rate or write reviews for podcasts at the store (or anywhere really, for that matter), so I didn't realize it looks like no one is using it.
simbaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
@zac

I have continued trying to access the ANNCast to no avail. I've tried to use both Firefox, Internet Explorer, and my default Google Chrome to access it, but the website player still fails to load, nor does direct downloading work as well.

I believed it might be a computer problem, so i had two other friends in Singapore test it, and it does not work for them either.

Is this perhaps a hosting problem that conflicts with something from my specific country? I am not an IT guy, so i am at a loss here.

Thanks for your time
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1