• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Swim Brings Back Toonami Block Starting on May 26

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Last November, [adult swim] ran a bump purporting to be the minutes of a "Williams St Anime Club", discussing "New Acquisitions". I got a screenshot of it from the [as] app for iPad: http://img.ly/aI9A

The titles discussed are obscured with bars, which are not quite tall enough to obscure the ascenders and descenders of various letters in the titles. This may well have been intentional, as the spirit of the bump seems very much intended to yank viewers' chains.

It would be easy to read too much into it, particularly given the last two points that the shows may not meet purchasing criteria, and that alternates should be devised.

But damn if those two titles don't look like Angel Beats! and High School of the Dead.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
The other thing to consider is that Adult Swim has ongoing contracts for all the shows it currently airs on Saturdays. I'm guessing this renewal wasn't planned or even considered back when they made these contracts, so it could be that they have to let the old contracts expire before they begin to broadcast any new content.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
AJMkarate717 wrote:
The other thing to consider is that Adult Swim has ongoing contracts for all the shows it currently airs on Saturdays. I'm guessing this renewal wasn't planned or even considered back when they made these contracts, so it could be that they have to let the old contracts expire before they begin to broadcast any new content.

I do wonder how the ailing state of the North American industry will affect their ability to obtain programming. If Media Blasters and Bandai Entertainment are shutting down, does that also stop TV contract negotiations from happening? Do they talk to the Japanese instead?
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Kind of mixed on this. I rather Toonami and Adult Swim be separate and have Toonami be a weekday lineup. Would have been good to reach kids, especially after school, but they want to target the 18-49 demo, I guess, since those who watch Toonami back then would be much older now. All depends on shows and the presentation. Show anime that has good action, or a show that hasn't had a dub on DVD or announced yet, and maybe good solid ratings will come.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Sigh why can they just let this just stay dead it wont be long before its in the grave again
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
But damn if those two titles don't look like Angel Beats! and High School of the Dead.

Gotta say, I can't disagree with you. I think those two titles would do quite well for Toonami too, and it would really open up a new robust source of anime on TV, that being ADV/Sentai.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
AJMkarate717 wrote:
They've taken shows off, while retaining their rights. they don't seem to necessarily have to air them constantly.

Of note: Nick's nostalgia block seems to be doing fine.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
So for now it's the standard line-up... Okay, that was expected. This revival would be worth more once it shows some new stuff never seen on TV, like what Toonami did for little old clueless me back then. Sentai and Funi, I'm counting on you guys!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had cable in my house since like 2005, but weren't most of these already airing on Adult Swim? Wow at like half of these being the same shows that I was watching back in 2005. I hope they eventually get some new stuff.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
invalidname wrote:

Gotta say, I can't disagree with you. I think those two titles would do quite well for Toonami too, and it would really open up a new robust source of anime on TV, that being ADV/Sentai.

Would Angel Beats! mesh well with [as]'s target demographic, however?
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, merry early Christmas to you too, Cartoon Network! I hope that this works out, and gives silly teenagers a place to watch totally radical out-of-this-world cartoons for many years to come.

EDIT: Did you say "Angel Beats"? Personally that seems like a weird fit, but what do I know? Hot dog, what if it did run on Toonami, somehow became wildly popular and caused a weird sort of "Cowboy Bebop"/"Big O" situation where Maeda FINALLY got the means to produce more of the franchise due to overseas popularity? I would eat fifteen hats!

Last edited by Myaow on Wed May 16, 2012 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

Sunday Silence wrote:
OH FOR **** SAKES, ENOUGH COWBOY BEBOP ALREADY!!

Get some new material, even if it takes another month or two to push the relaunch back further. Geez Louise, everybody knows how it ends already, we don't need to be reminded again and again and again......
To be honest, despite it playing on Adult Swim on many occasions, I have yet to watch it. Same with FLCL. This is a perfect chance to me to see it, granted if I can steal my mom's DVR box enough to actually record it.

However, I've been spazzing out about this since I saw the announcement. I'm so happy they're bringing Toonami back, although I was really hoping it'd be more in the way I grew up with, in the late afternoon/early evening with shows like DBZ and Tenchi. But who knows, maybe we'll still get those eventually even on the late night block?
RyanSaotome

Chagen46 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I'd have so much respect for them if they actually put something that wasn't just shonen battle stuff or Westernized anime. I really hope it is Angel Beats.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
invalidname wrote:

Can't see why not. No less than Durarara or Kekkaishi anyway. There's quite a bit more action scenes in Angel Beats! Hell, just think of the first episode. It's quite the attention getter.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I have my doubts too, but then again, when I saw the CN guys at AWA back in the 90's say they were trying to get Tenchi Muyo!, I didn't believe for a second that they would get it, that they would air it, or that anyone would watch it. (two out of three ain't bad)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13