• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Tests kadoTV Video Service with Subtitles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
This, folks, is the perfect example of why fansubs are here to stay. Forever. Same thing goes for the horror that is Crunchyroll, as I'm sure some people here might remember me ranting about before.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
I don't see what all the complaining is about. Even R1 DVD subtitles occasionally has errors in them. I watched Mushi-Uta and it was viewable. A HQ version would have been nice but the SD version was looking good.

I think that Kadokawa has a good plan. If no one wants to license it, just broadcast it yourself.

An English language version of the website would be nice.

Edit: Oops, there is an English language version. The selection is at the very top of the webpage.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
the SD version was looking good.
The video quality is vastly below SD (about as bad as a recorded VHS). I'd hardly call that 'good'.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't do stuff at full screen so what I saw was looking good. I still think that they did a good job. But I knw what I saw wasn't that bad.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I the idea in general is fantastic. The fact that you can freely share subs and edit others' makes it even better! Also they put a surprising amount of effort into their online subbing tool. While it doesn't compare to something like Aegisub (and probably never will), it's still a lot of code to produce for "free".

But there are some issues:
- Video quality, obviously
- Subs should be overlayed over video. However I can understand how using a dedicated area outside of the video simplifies the coding and makes playback more reliable.
- using the censored TV version!! Mad (applies to CR as well)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2