• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Buy to Discontinue Anime Sales In Stores, Moving Sales

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-stores-moving-sales-online-696/

All I can pretty much say is that anime, and anime companies are not pretty much dead, if not now, will be very soon.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-stores-moving-sales-online-696/

All I can pretty much say is that anime, and anime companies are not pretty much dead, if not now, will be very soon.
'

Aw, that sucks. I loved browsing the aisles for cheap stuff. I got Brain Powered recently for like $15, and Giant Robo a year ago for about the same. Oh well, there's always Rightstuf, for now.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't infer that it's dead from that move. It just makes practical sense for a store like Best Buy. US Movies = mainstream; Anime = niche. Think about electronics and computer parts. Prebuilt PCs with OS = mainstream; PC parts, self-built = niche. They've all moved online with the exception of Fry's Electronics.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Well that pretty much eliminates 90% of the reasons I'd go to a Best Buy at all. Unfortunately, Best Buy was the only retailer in my area that actually sells anime in a physical store so this kinda sucks. I previously did most of my shopping online at places like Rightstuf and DeepDiscount anyway but now it looks like I'll be doing all of it there. Crying or Very sad
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I posted this on the Mania.com forum and I'll post it here: If this news ends up to be true then effective immediately all of my anime purchases will only be made on-line. Ironically I was going to begin the process of phasing Best Buy out of my anime purchasing strategy, and their decision to pull their anime stock out of their shelves just made my decision that much easier.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
There have been spotty reports about shelf space rearranging at Best Buy following a tumultuous Xmas season. Returns, even a large number of returns and possibly a diminished footprint for underperforming sections (of which anime is likely one of them) are a possibility.

However, ANN has not confirmed anything yet. We have nothing to go on in this article, as it does not quote any sources at all. For all we know, it could be a random 16-year-old clerk at a local Best Buy branch.

Please wait for ANN to try to get to the bottom of this before panicking.

Mods will probably want to lock this thread.
CrystalFalls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

Like most of that site, that post lifts information from another site:

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=89826

Plus it exaggerates the situation without citing sources. Don't trust that site.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Locking this up until we have actual information.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1