• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Protests Call for Hetalia Anime's Cancellation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
@abunai: I must admit, your translations of my lovely adversary's post made me giggle~

That said, Hetalia is currently my absolute favorite thing ever. Why? Because I adore history and find it fascinating, and I find Hetalia as a fabulous way to look at historical events in a different light. I've always liked history, but war topics bored the crud out of me because they were so impersonal. I especially hated the topic of WWII, because pretty much any time it was ever discussed save for my 2 high school history classes, the others in the discussion made it a point to villainize the heck out of Japan and Germany. Considering Japan and Germany are my two favorite foreign countries, that got old fast. However, Hetalia makes me interested in learning about WWII, since it looks at the war without glorifying or villainizing either side. It also makes me more interested in all of the wars APH covers, because it gives me a feeling of personal connection to the countries involved.

Not to mention, the tidbits of little things that happened during wars that I never would've learned about otherwise, such as Russian soldiers jumping out of a plane without parachutes, figuring they'd be fine because there was snow on the ground, are wonderful.

Also, have any of you heard of the Charlie Chaplain movie "The Great Dictator"? Because that mocks WWII a whole lot more than APH. But since it doesn't come from the "enemies" of WWII, and doesn't mock America in any way, shape, or form, and the German characters that aren't Jewish have no redeeming qualities, it's okay, right? (Note; I adore this movie. It's my favorite live action movie overall of all time ever).

So, APH haters, try looking at some of the good in APH, rather than deciding it's awful just because it doesn't treat history as srs bznss.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
Shame on you- you're an editor for ANN, and whether you agree or disagree with the poster, you adopt this mocking/snarky tone for your reply? Very unprofessional.

I call 'em as I see 'em -- in this case, I called BS where I saw it. And if you think that was snarky then you have been living a very sheltered life.

- abunai
Lo, I have been called to account for my mocking and snarky tone. However shall I live with the shame?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
yojimboray wrote:
Shame on you- you're an editor for ANN, and whether you agree or disagree with the poster, you adopt this mocking/snarky tone for your reply? Very unprofessional.

I call 'em as I see 'em -- in ths case, I called BS where I saw it. And if you think that was snarky then you have been living a very sheltered life.

- abunai
Lo, I have been called to account for my mocking and snarky tone. However shall I live with the shame?

"I call 'em as I see 'em"- very Fox News of you. Is your "professionalism" representative of all of ANN?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Abunai is entirely right. I can just about guarantee that the vast majority of these protesters have absolutely no personal stake in what happened during WWII, or were even alive at that time. Seriously, it's been over 60 years since that conflict; isn't it high time to let old hurts lie and get on with one's collective lives? Hell, the American television series MASH was made within a generation of the war it portrayed, and during the far more divisive Vietnam War...yet it was one of the most-beloved shows ever. And MASH actually dealt with serious issues, unlike Hetalia, which I gather is primarily focused on gag humor and tongue-in-cheek satire.

How our species ever expects to move forward into the future when we constantly have our collective heads between our legs looking back at past wrongs is utterly beyond me...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
If it counts for anything, we have anime about angsty teens getting inside of robots that always look the same every damn time, and a lot of people have a good laugh about the angsty teens and the animation shortcuts they use...

Err, wait...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
"I call 'em as I see 'em"- very Fox News of you. Is your "professionalism" representative of all of ANN?

"Fox News", eh? Oh come on, surely you can do better than that.

Put some effort into it -- ridicule my opinions, cast aspersions on my morals and ancestry, point out that the Emperor is not wearing any clothes. Do something with bite and wit, not this weak twaddle.

Be a good little troll, and give me something to work with.

- abunai
F**k it, I'll do it live!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Abunai is entirely right. I can just about guarantee that the vast majority of these protesters have absolutely no personal stake in what happened during WWII, or were even alive at that time. Seriously, it's been over 60 years since that conflict; isn't it high time to let old hurts lie and get on with one's collective lives? Hell, the American television series MASH was made within a generation of the war it portrayed, and during the far more divisive Vietnam War...yet it was one of the most-beloved shows ever. And MASH actually dealt with serious issues, unlike Hetalia, which I gather is primarily focused on gag humor and tongue-in-cheek satire.

How our species ever expects to move forward into the future when we constantly have our collective heads between our legs looking back at past wrongs is utterly beyond me...

Look, the protest about this particular comic book is stupid. However, it's pretty callous to tell a nation that was nearly demolished less than 60 years ago to "just get over it." Is the U.S. going to "just get over" 9/11?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
@abunai: I must admit, your translations of my lovely adversary's post made me giggle~

That said, Hetalia is currently my absolute favorite thing ever. Why? Because I adore history and find it fascinating, and I find Hetalia as a fabulous way to look at historical events in a different light. I've always liked history, but war topics bored the crud out of me because they were so impersonal. I especially hated the topic of WWII, because pretty much any time it was ever discussed save for my 2 high school history classes, the others in the discussion made it a point to villainize the heck out of Japan and Germany. Considering Japan and Germany are my two favorite foreign countries, that got old fast. However, Hetalia makes me interested in learning about WWII, since it looks at the war without glorifying or villainizing either side. It also makes me more interested in all of the wars APH covers, because it gives me a feeling of personal connection to the countries involved.

Not to mention, the tidbits of little things that happened during wars that I never would've learned about otherwise, such as Russian soldiers jumping out of a plane without parachutes, figuring they'd be fine because there was snow on the ground, are wonderful.

Also, have any of you heard of the Charlie Chaplain movie "The Great Dictator"? Because that mocks WWII a whole lot more than APH. But since it doesn't come from the "enemies" of WWII, and doesn't mock America in any way, shape, or form, and the German characters that aren't Jewish have no redeeming qualities, it's okay, right? (Note; I adore this movie. It's my favorite live action movie overall of all time ever).

So, APH haters, try looking at some of the good in APH, rather than deciding it's awful just because it doesn't treat history as srs bznss.

Yes because clearly the Jewish, Chinese and Koreans had it coming for not being the superior German, and Japanese.

I am sorry but anyone who can tell me that Nazi Germany, and Imperial Japan where not the villains is just plain ignorant.

Hell Nazi Germany was planning to invade America, but they couldn't make Bombers that could fly the distance, and they never made Aircraft Carriers because they didn't understand their usefulness.

Where talking about a nation that killed millions of people for being Jewish, and invaded a neutral country because Hitler was a madman who wanted to rule the world.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Maybe they're looking for reparations of some sort? I can see where they're coming from, but as someone who has 5 nationalities etched inside, I'll be dammed if I have to harp and act like I'm entitled to something (or not) I didn't do. Same goes for any "responsibilities" bestowed upon me for being who I am.
I think my ancestors are fine with me not getting my little A beaten by a master of some sort. Their fight is over, for me at least.

Can't we all just ...get along?

Quote:
Is the U.S. going to "just get over" 9/11?

I think most of us did. Fairly quickly.

Last edited by bleuster on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
France and Britain still bicker with each other because of stupid territorial wars that were fought centuries past. So what's THEIR excuse?
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
yojimboray wrote:

"Fox News", eh? Oh come on, surely you can do better than that.

Put some effort into it -- ridicule my opinions, cast aspersions on my morals and ancestry, point out that the Emperor is not wearing any clothes. Do something with bite and wit, not this weak twaddle.

Be a good little troll, and give me something to work with.

- abunai
F**k it, I'll do it live!

Ann Coulter, then? And I believe you misplaced the label of troll. Again, this level of "discourse" coming from an employee of ANN, an editor no less, is pretty disappointing.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
While we're at it, remember THIS show's lovely view on the USA?

The hell? Have YOU even watched lain?

This and other knee-jerk reactions in this thread are ridiculous. I understand and encourage criticism for something like Japan's revisionist history, but this kind of stuff is so astonishingly trivial.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Maryohki wrote:

Yes because clearly the Jewish, Chinese and Koreans had it coming for not being the superior German, and Japanese.

I am sorry but anyone who can tell me that Nazi Germany, and Imperial Japan where not the villains is just plain ignorant.

Hell Nazi Germany was planning to invade America, but they couldn't make Bombers that could fly the distance, and they never made Aircraft Carriers because they didn't understand their usefulness.

Where talking about a nation that killed millions of people for being Jewish, and invaded a neutral country because Hitler was a madman who wanted to rule the world.

...Are you even listening to me? Or yourself, for that matter. What does Jews, Koreans, Chinese, etc being attacked during WWII have to do with what I said above at all?

I said that I hate discussing WWII because the people that I've discussed it with try to say that, because of what they did during WWII, Japan and Germany always were, and always will be, countries full of evil people. Also, people saying that the entire countries were evil during that time period irk me, because no entire population of a country is evil. Not that the Nazis and Imperialists were wonderful people.

Again, try actually knowing things about 1. Real life, and 2. Hetalia before trying to bash Hetalia, kk? =D
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Abunai is entirely right. I can just about guarantee that the vast majority of these protesters have absolutely no personal stake in what happened during WWII, or were even alive at that time. Seriously, it's been over 60 years since that conflict; isn't it high time to let old hurts lie and get on with one's collective lives?

No. We should NEVER forget what happened during WWII (putting aside the comic for a moment, cause I don’t honestly give a crap about it). History has this lovely way of repeating itself if we choose to ignore it or forget it. WWII was something everyone should learn about so as to understand the very depths of horror humans can inflict upon one another. 60 years is nothing to heal those wounds. Japanese kids should be learning the truth about what happened, not something glossed over like in their history textbooks. I take this kind of thing seriously, and I’m sorry if that is so offensive to you or anyone else.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is the U.S. going to "just get over" 9/11?

I think most of us did. Fairly quickly.[/quote]

There are 5 million Muslim-Americans who would probably disagree with you.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10