• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Cromartie High School

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
But yes, someone else who agrees Sexy Commando is the next logical step for fans. Since it never came over to the US, it's probably not as well known, but there are fansubs out there. But if it ever came out R1, anime or manga, I'd buy it. And hope that whoever cast Cro High's dub returns.

I'd love to see Sexy Commando Gaiden get licensed, but I highly doubt that it will ever happen. The manga is a Shonen Jump title, so only Viz could license it... And since Bobobo only got a limited release & Gintama got canceled during its run, I highly doubt that Viz will ever pick up another Jump manga that features insane comedy; shame too, as I would also love to see Gag Manga Biyori (another insane comedy, though this is done in short bursts) licensed one day.

As for the anime, the biggest issue would be that it's from the late-90s, which essentially has killed any chance of licensing nowadays. I could have seen ADV picking up Sexy Commando back in the early-to-mid 2000s, but I can't even see Discotek picking it up now.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I own the Cromartie anime on dvd, but I haven't seen it since late 2005, it's in the "re-watch" pile though

I never got around to reading any of the manga unfortunately
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the anime, but Cromartie was pretty funny with a great opening song. I did find that marathoning it made it drag a bit towards the end of the series, so I never picked it up, but I did find it's absurdity entertaining.

Sexy Commando was also hysterical, and it also had a great opening. I saw commando long before I saw Cromartie and it was probably one of the first absurd anime comedies of it's type that I had seen, and I loved it. Even the "warning" at the beginning was a nice touch. Plus it taught it's viewers the importance of mustaches Laughing
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Great write-up! I've never read it, but the anime has to be seen to be believed!
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
I'm lucky enough to own half the volumes ADV released, I really like this manga and if it got license rescued I would totally buy it.
angryrider

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I bought nearly all of the volumes when it came out over here, and I loved each and everyone. It's such a throwback to the badassery of the 80s when comics were manly as hell, with every character having self-esteem blowing out of their butts.

Freddie's horse was based on the Black King, Raoh's horse from Fist of the North Star, btw.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
I also loved the anime version, but never read the manga until very recently when I found a copy of vol.1 at a used book store. When I read it I regretted not buying them when they were being released by ADV. I'd really like to see it rescued/reissued.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2