• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-01-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
mmorpgs are fun as long as you can control yourself. I've been playing WoW off and on for over 4 years (since release date). I stopped in grade 12 to help save up for University, started playing again during a Co-op and stopped when I went back to school.

It's also depends who if you know people. Right now I'm having a blast because everyone in my guilds are either real-life friends or friends of friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, come on, Kevin. Anime isn't everything. Let Nina get obsessed with gaming if she so desires. You've gotta keep yourself occupied with a variety of obsessions to avoid getting burnt out, you know? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Being addicted to anime is much better than being addicted to online games. (experience @ _ @ ) Listen to Kevin Nina and feed Myoopi before he gets skinny!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:

I prefer playing linear games that have a defined ending...

That's why I don't play MMOs right there- if I'm going to spend that many hours of my life, I want a big, shiny ending seqence as a reward.

You could play a linear MMO, like Lunia. You even get an ending sequence and credits rolling after 3-10... (though that's only the halfway point of the game).
Kaolin_Yatsura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Ok I think I have to defend the MMO group by saying that maybe you guys just need to be a little more organized (I'm sure most of you are.) I play wow and raided in a high level raiding guild (like I had T6 and stuff plus full T4 don't have that kind of time right now stupid student teaching) and I managed to be one of the top flute players in my student and get myself into grad school for free for performance! And! I manage to be periodically and pathetically addicted to anime. Organization works wonders! Ok enough of tooting my own horn I won't be that kid. (And I practice like three hours a day)

OK really I'm done....I swear...
becomedog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
First Shojou and now MMOs. Seems to me Nina has a serious addiction problem Shocked I never thought that watching a ton of anime would be the "healthy" option either Anime hyper Ah, well. Hooray for the return of Nina! Smile
Baeron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Dancing is almost the most important part of a MMO! O>o
It seems that if the game is just, kill this.. then kill that.. then kill that... the game gets old quickly. >.<; And MMO's are enemy killing sprees or "automated processes" disguised as "FUN" eh... but... I do play WoW yup. I like romping about the maps and pestering other people. Heheh.

My favorite part of this whole episode.. is... that it was magically posted LAST YEAR! See? January 14, 2008! Says it everywhere! I think that she may be rubbing off on the people who change over the calendar around here.
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Poor Myoopi! I love Nina's bloodshot eyes.

The only MMORPG I've ever tried was EVE Online, which was great because you didn't have to be logged in and playing to work on your skills. I could set my character to learn a skill, log off and come back the next day having learned it. It didn't eliminate all the tedium of the genre, but it alleviated that one part of it.

Plus force-feeding space pirates a salvo of missiles is always satisfying.
geopgeop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
So Myoopi can starve, huh? Worst case scenario (or is it?): couldn't Myoopi just sustain itself by eating its own ... CANDY???

Oh, and just what kind of candy would come out of a malnutritioned Myoopi anyway?

More evil thoughts (sorry): if the inevitable happens to Myoopi, what would come out?
(See the Wikipedia article Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes if you don't know what I mean)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
If Nina can get addicted to things that easily I hope Kevin doesn't tell her about Neopets. Confused Then she'd simply never move out of her office chair.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Neopets not really a game, and doesn't it kinda suck?
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
The whole culture that spawns around both anime and mmorpgs is fascinating. Just like Nina is to anime, World of Warcraft has great comic strips dedicated to the game. Videos like Over 9000 and Leeroy Jenkins are so popular that both have expanded far beyond their fandoms. AMVs, machinima, cosplay, fanart, etc. We're all just geeks trying to express ourselves.
mpietran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
geopgeop wrote:
Oh, and just what kind of candy would come out of a malnutritioned Myoopi anyway?

I'm guessing sugar-free candy
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
As a result, my watched anime list has suffered. I've probably got at least 1/3 of my collection that's gone unwatched. But I'm still in the habit of buying DVDs. So I unwrap them, place them on my shelves in alphabetical order, and don't watch them. Some of the DVDs have been sitting there for years.

I've been trying to catch up lately. I actually watched Haruhi Suzumiya in 2 sittings after getting the box set. And I watch Lucky Star DVDs as soon as I get them. As for my backlog, I just finished My Otome. So I have My Otome Zwei left, and I think I finished season 1 of Kaleido Star and have season 2 left.

For me though, I think it's easier to keep up on my manga collection. Probably because I can take it to work and read it in my free time. Also it seems to take less time to read a volume of manga than to watch a DVD of anime. Does anyone else find it easier to keep up with manga than anime, or vice-versa?

*shudder* Unwrapping without intent to watch (at the time,) why?

I would say I am much worse with manga. For anime, there are on-demand (and occasionally other tv based methods) for dolling it out over time, which helps. Manga is trouble because I like reading just a weeee bit too much, and entire days/weekends/weeks tend to disappear under a pile of books.
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
MMORPGs have daily server maintenance, program/computer crashes, network lag/drops ...

Good lord, such MMO hate on these boards. <_<; As for -you-, I don't think you know what you're talking about. 99.9% of MMOs do not have daily maintenance at all, nor do they crash, nor do they have lag/network drops unless one's own connection is at fault.

In short: Don't spread a bunch of crap about something you clearly are oblivious towards.

Well, guess I'm just lucky in that both of the MMOs I stuck with (along with a few I didn't) DO fall into the 0.1% that have daily maintenance. Combined with my inate ability to crash anything, and the general instability of the internet and my ISP at large ... I'd say I've got a pretty good grasp on what I am saying. Remember, there is a reason those rating boxes these days always include the phrase "Your experience online may change over time" (or similar sentiments.) Not everyone gets the same thing back, even within the same game.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
*shudder* Unwrapping without intent to watch (at the time,) why?

Why not? Better to destroy one's fingernails fighting with stubborn cellophane and stickers all at once rather than have to do it every time you want to watch a new disk. I can't be the only one who unwraps everything as soon as he purchases it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5