• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Minty Hippo Approved

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:11 am Reply with quote
LOL you know, all girls freak out because of Onizuka's hilarious faces and sometimes perverted face. Perhaps it makes him look too much like a perverted. Arrow

I think it's freaking hilarious. The only other manga that come close to minicing the hilarious face is Slam Dunk. Cool
Can't wait till the last couple of volume comes out.

Keep up the good job.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:11 am Reply with quote
The columnists/reviewers get screeners to review. For a long while, however, I was buying it or getting it from my library.

Yes, our library is amazing regarding graphic novels. Pretty much anything you request they will order for you, so luckily we have a really large collection. (They are hesitant to get Angel Sanctuary or really long series that will drain their budget like Lone Wolf and Cub---but we still have them.)However, our graphic novel budget is gone so we won't get any new series until next year. Sad

Glad everyone is enjoying the column!
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Hmm...on average I'd guess about 45 minutes...an hour? I've never really timed myself. Anime smile; Sensual Phrase only took me about 15 minutes to get through while all of the others took me at least twice as long.

Wow, it takes me a lot longer to read my manga. But then again, I usually like to read it in a slow, leisurely pace.
Does this give you enough time to enjoy the artwork and stuff (I understand that you have a lot of manga to review but still)?
Also, if you don't mind me asking, how many volumes do you read per day and is it hard for you to recall what happened in a particular volume/series?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:51 am Reply with quote
Hmm...yeah, I have time to enjoy the artwork enough. More often than not I will read through the books twice to make sure I don't "miss" anything. Ummm...lesse...I don't have a set number of manga I read per day, but I do read them in a clump. I'll read 4-5 at once, I guess. Any more than that and my head starts to hurt...it's like watching too much TV.

As far as keeping characters/storylines straight, I'm HORRIBLE with names. I reference past volumes lots to make sure I'm not mixing storylines and characters. But if someone wants to carry on a convo with me about a specific series, I'm pretty good at picking up on something they say that'll trigger my memory.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:21 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
The columnists/reviewers get screeners to review. For a long while, however, I was buying it or getting it from my library.

Yes, our library is amazing regarding graphic novels. Pretty much anything you request they will order for you, so luckily we have a really large collection. (They are hesitant to get Angel Sanctuary or really long series that will drain their budget like Lone Wolf and Cub---but we still have them.)However, our graphic novel budget is gone so we won't get any new series until next year. Sad

Are you serious? Dammit. Every freakin library I've been to in Boston has the same volumes of Akira and maybe a couple other things. Even the massive central one that has a section for practically every language spoken has less than ten volumes of manga.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
Oh yea, good column. It slipped my mind before.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:52 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Oh yea, good column. It slipped my mind before.

Thanks. ^_^
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Alchemist449"]
Kagemusha wrote:
lianncoop wrote:

Are you serious? Dammit. Every freakin library I've been to in Boston has the same volumes of Akira and maybe a couple other things. Even the massive central one that has a section for practically every language spoken has less than ten volumes of manga.

Wow, you guys are lucky the only thing I got when I serched for manga thrue my library's catalogue was the Simpsons (I'd be glad if they acted like they acknowledged it but when I asked if they would consider ordering manga the librarians acted like I was an idiot Crying or Very sad ).

And Great Column Very Happy
syr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:24 am Reply with quote
Wow. I can't believe we got to two pages without someone referring to the Minty Hippo.

Hah! Those scary Minty Purple Hippos..
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:02 am Reply with quote
syr wrote:
Wow. I can't believe we got to two pages without someone referring to the Minty Hippo.

Hah! Those scary Minty Purple Hippos..
I know I cannot believe it! Thumbs up to Lian for putting it in her topic title, it was an old comic of mine from a year back. It's sequel was Operation Yellow Mongoose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2