• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FUNi Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Veers wrote:
So, on the comment about HD Mushishi, does that mean we can expect a BD release some time? Surprised

Mushishi hit the SAVE line. I wouldn't expect anymore out of it, sadly. It is such a wonderful series too.

I was the one who asked about Mushishi and Last Exile, and the responses are what I expected. Like xScar said, it seems going to the S.A.V.E. line is usually the last we'll see of a title, although I was hopeful that there was a slight chance otherwise. I'd really have liked to see Mushishi on Blu-ray here, as the DVDs could be improved on, and we might have even gotten the new 5.1 Japanese audio the Japanese Blu-ray has.

But it's good to more or less get confirmation with Last Exile on Blu-ray, which will be an immediate pre-order from me. I'm also curious about the 5 year old license. I would love for it to be Mononoke, or maybe even Denno Coil, but it's more likely to be something like Bokurano or Moyashimon (which isn't bad at all, mind you, but I'd be over the moon with Mononoke).

Last edited by Bonham on Fri May 18, 2012 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
>>Announcement for a show that's 5 years old.

OMG! A 2007 show?! C-could it be?

>>It's not what everyone's thinking.

B-but, what's everyone thinking? What did you say after that? I've listened to that part 5 times now to pick up what you were saying after the "WHOOO!" but I can't understand it.

I want it to be Dennou Coil. I want it to be Dennou Coil so bad. But it's probably not. Because that was my immediate thought, and I know several other people interested in the show, and it seems more like a show that someone like NISA would pick up (or wouldn't be profitable enough for a dub), and I'm just trying to stiffle my excitement now so that I'm not horribly disappointed later.

Last edited by Crisha on Fri May 18, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xScar

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

OMG! A 2007 show! C-could it be?

B-but, what's everyone thinking? What did you say after that? I've listened to that part 5 times now to pick up what you were saying after the "WHOOO!" but I can't understand it.

I want it to be Dennou Coil. I want it to be Dennou Coil so bad. But it's probably not. Because that was my immediate thought, and I know several other people interested in the show, and it seems more like a show that someone like NISA would pick up (or wouldn't be profitable enough for a dub), and I'm just trying to stiffle my excitement now so that I'm not horribly disappointed later.

Everyone is thinking "Sailor Moon" whenever they bring up licensing something old.

Hoping for Kaiji, myself. Nodame Cantabile would be nice too, but doubt that'd ever come from FUNi Sad

Ah! I didn't realize Moyashimon was from 2007 too! Too many nice series that were overlooked.
Bonham

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Nodame Cantabile would be nice too, but doubt that'd ever come from FUNi Sad

Oh wow, I forgot that aired back in 2007, too. Yeah, that'd be a great pick-up. I'd instantly go for Mononoke, Nodame Cantabile or Denno Coil.

This does make me hopeful that shows that fell through the cracks in 2007 and 2008 - when the industry here seemed to go through a lot of changes - might still get licensed.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
willag wrote:

OMG! A 2007 show! C-could it be?

Everyone is thinking "Sailor Moon" whenever they bring up licensing something old.

Hoping for Kaiji, myself. Nodame Cantabile would be nice too, but doubt that'd ever come from FUNi Sad

Ah, yes, makes sense. But those two shows you listed would be great as well. I'd prefer Nodame Cantabile to Kaiji, but I'd still welcome both.

2007 was a really good year for me in regards to shows I liked.

EDIT: Moyashimon and Mononoke would also be great selections.

Yeah, 2007 was a great year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Put me on on the "please be Denno Coil!" boat, but I won't be surprised if it isn't.

That show is amazing, but also it's pretty much completely unmarketable
Veers

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Veers wrote:
So, on the comment about HD Mushishi, does that mean we can expect a BD release some time? Surprised

Mushishi hit the SAVE line. I wouldn't expect anymore out of it, sadly. It is such a wonderful series too.

Yeah, I just got to the end of the podcast where the question came up. Ah well!
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Other game based direct to DVD films? SHOTS FIRED

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

OMG! A 2007 show?! C-could it be?

Well, I think we can safely cross School Days and Kodomo no Jikan off the list. Laughing

Probably the "It's not what everyone's thinking" is Familiar of Zero 2. If I had to guess, probably the most "Funi-ish" titles from that year are Mushi-Uta, Sky Girls and Macross Frontier. I'd love it to be Zombie-Loan, but I'm not holding my breath. Very unusual for Funi to reach that far back.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people have said some really good titles to license from 2007 (Mononoke, Dennou Coil, Nodame, Moyashimon, etc) but I would be over the moon if it happens to be Minami-ke. Nodame and Mononoke would be buys for me as well though.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Just finished listening to the podcast a short bit ago. I'm glad to hear that things seem to be going well for FUNimation, especially after the news we've heard about some of the other North American distributors in recent months.

Once again, I missed getting a chance to ask a question, and it's the same one I didn't ask when Lance and Adam were on the podcast last time. Late last year, FUNimation reissued all of the Dragon Ball Z movies through the three movie box sets. However, The History of Trunks and Bardock the Father of Goku specials still have not been reissued. Are there any plans to reissue these specials that you are at liberty to discuss, or are the releases that already exist the only way for Dragon Ball Z fans to acquire these titles for the foreseeable future?

Also, what a blast to hear both Nirvana *AND* Depeche Mode mentioned in this podcast, since I like them both and was listening to them back when I was in high school 20 years ago.

However, thanks for reminding me that I'm old. Razz And in other news, the sky is blue and the grass is green...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
A lot of people have said some really good titles to license from 2007 (Mononoke, Dennou Coil, Nodame, Moyashimon, etc) ...

If it's any of those, I will cry from happiness. But especially Mononoke and Moyashimon.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
isn't nodame already licensed? got an English cast list on this very website
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The English cast is from Animax. The only way to get Nodame in English is to buy the official Hong Kong DVDs, which might be out of print by now.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I decided to look over unlicensed animes from 2007, and here's what I personally could see happening:
Kaiji
GR -Giant Robo-
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood
Bokurano
Nodame Cantible
Dennou Coil
Macross Frontier
Moyashimon
Mononoke

Out of these, I'd say the "no-go's" are Kaiji & Giant Robo solely due to the fact that I'd want them on DVD, & that's a no-no in this industry 99.5% of the time, Macross Frontier since it would need both a miracle of Harmony Gold not getting involved plus a fair bit of money for music licensing, Dennou Coil is notoriously hard to licensed due to Tokuma Shoten, & the JoJo movie never even got a DVD release in Japan.

So that leaves Bokurano (a title Gonzo title plus Viz is releasing the manga, so it's highly likely), Nodame Contabile (more likely if the LA-produced Animax dub can be included), Moyashimon, & Mononoke. After some thought, I'm going with Bokurano as my guess, solely due to the Gonzo name & the possible advertising possbilities with Viz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5