• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FUNi Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
so, American voice actors were hired by Animax? that's interesting
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a good thing they're looking into doing more Dragon Boxes. I'd really like to get the original series on DVD in DBox quality.

Everybody watch the Lupin stream!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The English cast is from Animax. The only way to get Nodame in English is to buy the official Hong Kong DVDs, which might be out of print by now.

The dub of Nodame Cantabile is streaming on Crackle. It was removed for US viewers at one point, but it's back now.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Still no Rainbow huh.. -_-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Still no Rainbow huh.. -_-
I'd kill to see Funimation announce Physical release for Rainbow & Tatami Galaxy, sadly at this point, I don't think it'll happen. Sad
Sketchor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
About 5 years ago?

Well in 2007 Detective Neuro, Yes Precure 5 and Macross Frontier came out but if you fudge the 5 year gap late in 2006 Katekayo Hitman Reborn might be the ticket and I would LOVE that.
xScar

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Sketchor wrote:
About 5 years ago?

Well in 2007 Detective Neuro, Yes Precure 5 and Macross Frontier came out but if you fudge the 5 year gap late in 2006 Katekayo Hitman Reborn might be the ticket and I would LOVE that.

Viz licensed Neuro awhile back, and they have it streaming on their anime website/Hulu.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I decided to look over unlicensed animes from 2007, and here's what I personally could see happening:
Kaiji
GR -Giant Robo-
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood
Bokurano
Nodame Cantible
Dennou Coil
Macross Frontier
Moyashimon
Mononoke

Out of these, I'd say the "no-go's" are Kaiji & Giant Robo solely due to the fact that I'd want them on DVD, & that's a no-no in this industry 99.5% of the time, Macross Frontier since it would need both a miracle of Harmony Gold not getting involved plus a fair bit of money for music licensing, Dennou Coil is notoriously hard to licensed due to Tokuma Shoten, & the JoJo movie never even got a DVD release in Japan.

So that leaves Bokurano (a title Gonzo title plus Viz is releasing the manga, so it's highly likely), Nodame Contabile (more likely if the LA-produced Animax dub can be included), Moyashimon, & Mononoke. After some thought, I'm going with Bokurano as my guess, solely due to the Gonzo name & the possible advertising possbilities with Viz.

Its quite amusing that you decided to pick Bokurano because I was about to come on here and mention the possibility of it being licensed myself!It makes perfect sense considering Funimation just recently licensed Shangri-La(another Gonzo title) and its being released in August so the possibility of it being licensed could indeed happen!I would personally love to see the anime with an excellent english dub..I would highly consider buying it if that was the case.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I decided to look over unlicensed animes from 2007, and here's what I personally could see happening:
Kaiji
GR -Giant Robo-
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood
Bokurano
Nodame Cantible
Dennou Coil
Macross Frontier
Moyashimon
Mononoke

Out of these, I'd say the "no-go's" are Kaiji & Giant Robo solely due to the fact that I'd want them on DVD, & that's a no-no in this industry 99.5% of the time, Macross Frontier since it would need both a miracle of Harmony Gold not getting involved plus a fair bit of money for music licensing, Dennou Coil is notoriously hard to licensed due to Tokuma Shoten, & the JoJo movie never even got a DVD release in Japan.

So that leaves Bokurano (a title Gonzo title plus Viz is releasing the manga, so it's highly likely), Nodame Contabile (more likely if the LA-produced Animax dub can be included), Moyashimon, & Mononoke. After some thought, I'm going with Bokurano as my guess, solely due to the Gonzo name & the possible advertising possbilities with Viz.

DANCOUGAR NOVA?!

Wait. Too hopeful. I'd love to own R1 DVDs though, if only for the fixes.

Nanoha StrikerS?
Wait. Funi said "No" to future Nanoha.

I have no idea but whatever it is, they have my wallet.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Macross Frontier was a Spring 2008 show, so it couldn't be that anyway. Unless they're referring to the Deculture Episode 1, which would seem like an odd thing to license by itself, and even odder to tie the series to a single alternate episode that came out at the end of December. Not sure how everyone forgot what year that show came out. My money's on Shining Tears X Wind, because that's exactly the sort of show they seem to regularly license.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
qollocust wrote:
I'm glad they talked about the mobile app. I was just looking at it on my iPad last night and debating buying it. I actually came to ANN today to see if anyone else had used it and it was worth it. The free app is obviously the iPhone version stretched for the iPad but I'm glad to hear a full iPad version is in the works.

I live off free apps, but $10 for access to Funi shows streaming is worth it to me.

It'd be worth $10 to me if it ran on my Nook Color, but since the free app says that the video won't play (after first playing the streaming ad, of course), I'm not going to drop $10 to upgrade the error message from the first four episodes to an error message on the whole series.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I want it to be Dennou Coil. I want it to be Dennou Coil so bad. But it's probably not.

Dennou Coil is licensed, released, and readily available in Australia. Given the acclaim the series has enjoyed, it quite frankly surprises me how frequently such a release is overlooked by fans in other regions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this episode. Zac and Justin have a good rapport with Lance and Adam.

Zin5ki wrote:
willag wrote:
I want it to be Dennou Coil. I want it to be Dennou Coil so bad. But it's probably not.

Dennou Coil is licensed, released, and readily available in Australia. Given the acclaim the series has enjoyed, it quite frankly surprises me how frequently such a release is overlooked by fans in other regions.

They're probably holding out for a release in their own region, which would probably be cheaper and easier. It's remarkable that it hasn't been released elsewhere, but I believe that Sam Pinansky explained on the episode of ANNCast dedicated to interviewing him that the rights to Dennō Coil are controlled by a very traditional publishing company, which I think is Tokuma Shoten, with unrealistically high demands for a licensing arrangement and that the Australian license was the product of hard work by the Siren Visual CEO, who was a very big fan of the series.

I suppose that Michiko e Hatchin is ruled out by it being a three or four year old title, as it aired from late 2008 through early 2009. Bokurano seems like a very interesting series; I think it's caught my attention before, along with some surprise that it hadn't been licensed.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun May 20, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to hear that Funimation is doing well. I can't fault them for bringing more ecchi shows because they sell. It is true that boobs series are very big in Japan too, but anime producers are also making non-ecchi series that could also sell here.

I would have loved for Funimation to pick up a show like Kids on the Slope. Funimation would probably have done a great job with the dub. Best of luck to Funimation. I only wish they would bring more series with actual good stories and character development.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I think FUNi's currently position is that slice of life shows do not sell (or at least that was the conclusion I got after Lance rambled a bit about Space Bros). I can't really blame them to be honest. If something like Beck (or Mongolian Chop Squad) possibly didn't do as well as they hoped then it's not too surprising to see them back away from that genre.

Glad to see them releasing Shiki, but to be honest, that's the only thing of theirs on my radar for a long, long time. Glad to hear that they're in a stable position as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5