• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Parent Navarre Confirms Staff Reductions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of my ex-girlfriend who was laid off from her retail job. Navarre is having to do what everybody else is doing. This is all part of an economy that is currently in the slumps. Doesn't help at all that gas prices have gone somewhat back up, though not to the point of panic. Things sure changed while I was gone for those two weeks.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
pparker wrote:
....This sounds like a good thing for Funi and for the future of R1 under the current market circumstances.
Or, to put it in terms more common on these here interwebs:
1) buy licenses
2) fire staff
3) ???
4) profit

Maybe more common on the boards you frequent... It isn't that simple at all, and when economic conditions turn downward drastically, you see who the smart managers are. They are ones whose companies don't die and who don't send all their people into the unemployment line.

Speaking of which...

GeneralArrow wrote:
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
I normally don't post often and it's been awhile since I've been here... but reading two news about staff reduction does have me concerned. Specially when hopefuls such as myself with aspirations of working in said companies read them.

I'm only a year away from getting my BA in Tele-Communications... let's just hope things start getting better soon.

If your Tele-Communications you'll almost always have a job. esp if its with your city. Its a technological field so you should pretty good off.

Can you say, Nortel?
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Nooooooooooo FUNi!!! Crying or Very sad

I really hope this doesn't greatly affect their business or their release schedule. Freakin' economy. =/

Why the hell did the economy have to get the way it is? What did we ever do to deserve it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trandraskell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Basically what you have is for years and years there was no checks and balance in the government each side out for it self. To much regulations and killing of the little people ie mom and pop places. Too much big corp greed and people only out for themselves.
The little man you and I are the ones paying the price. Also people spending money when they don't have it like relying on credit cards. But yes let support the small corp like funi and adv and buy when you can but don't kill youself it will fix itself we need to try the best. Just remember the promise made buy the goverenment will not help you. Only we can help ourselves.

[/quote]Why the hell did the economy have to get the way it is? What did we ever do to deserve it?[quote]

Last edited by trandraskell on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

I really hope this doesn't greatly affect their business or their release schedule. Freakin' economy. =/

Why the hell did the economy have to get the way it is? What did we ever do to deserve it?

We re-elected Bush.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

We re-elected Bush.

Okay first know what you are talking about. This problem has been build years be for bush got in. When the man took office we were in a recession. he got it back up with some of the policies. From there it was all just corp greed . More then just bush is a fault it is our whole government and country. We the people let this happen. If people cared more and not looking out for number 1 we would be in a much better place. I hate when people just blame bush. Wake up and smell the roses. this country is going to be in worse shape. We were promised change and guess what we got a bunch of money grubbing thieves. How about we start taking back our country and get rid of these guys and start punishing them instead of us getting punished
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Whoa there! Save the drama for Obama.

Yeah, I'll be here all week. Wink
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
My aspirations are for Audio-Engineering and anything involved within tele-communications (Radio, TV and Journalism). >.>
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
This worries me, more so now that 20 people were fired. ALL jokes aside, I hope the recent licenses weren't a bad move for Funimation. While I doubt this will actually happen, I really hope this doesn't mean Funimation will be forced to closed like Geneon.

If people are truly concerned about Funimation, help them out and actually purchase their merchandise. I can say that because of a sitution of work that is similar to this. At my work place, we've had to cleareance a ton of items and actually have to fire about 10 or more people in my rank. If the item doesn't sell well and if the person isn't doing their job, both will be let go faster than old newspaper.

Something tells me this is only the begining of a rough cycle. Hopefully Funimation whatever licenses next makes revenue and stabilizes.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:

Okay first know what you are talking about. This problem has been build years be for bush got in. When the man took office we were in a recession. he got it back up with some of the policies. From there it was all just corp greed . More then just bush is a fault it is our whole government and country. We the people let this happen. If people cared more and not looking out for number 1 we would be in a much better place. I hate when people just blame bush. Wake up and smell the roses. this country is going to be in worse shape. We were promised change and guess what we got a bunch of money grubbing thieves. How about we start taking back our country and get rid of these guys and start punishing them instead of us getting punished

Thanks for this blistering and yet unintelligible political commentary.

This thread is not about the economy, it's about prematurely panicking about a large, successful company letting a handful of people go while also telling you directly that none of that will effect production.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'm at a company where we cut about 10% in 2007 and around 10% in 2008. Nothing yet this year, and we can only hope that continues.

We're still here, we're not going anywhere, and I seriously doubt we're being sold to a soulless corporation. In a crappy economy, that's what you do sometimes. Thankfully, about 80% of those people laid off found good work in about 3 months.

Quote:

True, although the comment that it reflected on was simplistic bilge. If we could just get through a story about the economic woes of the Anime Industry without blaming [insert politician/political party] as the source of original sin I'd be happy.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
trandraskell wrote:

This thread is not about the economy, it's about prematurely panicking about a large, successful company letting a handful of people go while also telling you directly that none of that will effect production.

My, my, aren't you quite the board Nazi.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

You're joking, right?
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

You're joking, right?

Do a hog love slop?
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:
True, although the comment that it reflected on was simplistic bilge. If we could just get through a story about the economic woes of the Anime Industry without blaming [insert politician/political party] as the source of original sin I'd be happy.

Here, here. It was all fun and games until someone made a pro-Bush comment, unintelligible though it might be.

And of course an asinine sub-dub attack on ADV can go on for 19 pages without a whisper.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3