• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 10 Anime Suggestions for Toonami

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Uh, Panty and Stocking? I don't even know how you came up with Haruhi and Shugo Chara over PSG (though I haven't seen SC, so I can't say much).

Panty and Stocking is more of a fit for [as] than Toonami. You wouldn't even know it was an anime unless you are an anime fan to begin with.
Konopan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I would pay in double dollars to hear Tom talking about Cool and Spicy.

But that's a pipedream.

Darker than Black is probably the only show that would fit with the noir-style shows that used to be on the block, but Fairy Tale and Tiger and Bunny seem kind of probable. (Gundamoo and TTGL might have licensing issues, being that they both aired on SciFi)

And for criminy's sake, if there was going to be a new adventure anime on the block it ought to be the current Hunter X Hunter.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I think Haruhi could work on Toonami, they'd just have to reduce the Endless Eight down to 3 episodes. First 2 and the last 1 would work.
Indeed, otherwise the ratings would be extremely poor, unless these people fall asleep with the TV on while it's airing.

Though I doubt they'd skip episodes. [adult swim] is not known for skipping episodes unless it's stuff like what led to Cowboy Bebop airing with many episodes skipped due to 9/11.

Last edited by BigOnAnime on Sat May 19, 2012 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Considering Shugo Chara is thrown there as a nice replacement holder for Sailor Moon, what other series of its kind would work?
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Zags wrote:
Personally I would love to see any of these shows make it on air.

Although Gurren Lagann did air on SyFy a while back, so I don't how that affects its chances of getting on Toonami.

Gundam 00 was on AniMonday too.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Since we all seem to be completely removed from reality (and the likely outcome that the new Toonami will be just a collection of dirt-cheap nostalgia plays), let's go completely nuts and fill in the scheduling blanks with Wandering Son, Diamond Daydreams, and… oh what the hell… Koi Kaze.

I'm sure that'll work out real well for them.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
I would pay in double dollars to hear Tom talking about Cool and Spicy.

But that's a pipedream.

Darker than Black is probably the only show that would fit with the noir-style shows that used to be on the block, but Fairy Tale and Tiger and Bunny seem kind of probable. (Gundamoo and TTGL might have licensing issues, being that they both aired on SciFi)

And for criminy's sake, if there was going to be a new adventure anime on the block it ought to be the current Hunter X Hunter.

I'd just like to hear the original Tom again, now that would be worth double dollars in my opinion. Chances of that are pretty slim I imagine though.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tsukitama on Toonami though.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll give companies beyond Funimation and VIZ a chance.

Angel Beats has enough action, humor and plot to get viewers' interest. At 13 episodes it would but just the right length for a summer run. Hard to tell how much of Tiger and Bunny has been dubbed so far but this would give them at least a little more time...

Last edited by TG72 on Sat May 19, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Considering Shugo Chara is thrown there as a nice replacement holder for Sailor Moon, what other series of its kind would work?

Precure would be my best guess. Although it should be noted that Sailor Moon worked because it was in the afternoon timeslot, right after kids from elementary/middle school got home. It would not work at all in the current Toonami timeslot of 12 am - 6 am and nor would Precure of course. The only magical girl show that could work in that timeslot would of course be Madoka Magica.
umbraltwilight

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I think given Gundam's history on CN, they would probably never give it another shot. Gurren Lagann and Tiger and Bunny are good options, as well as the suggestion of Stein's Gate. I'd think Heroman might be an idea too. I have never seen it but heard it was pretty good, and that it was made by Stan Lee would certainly help penetration, but that may also mean unrealistic licensing costs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, a lot of those suggestions would make sense if this were the afternoon slot, but it's one when kids are going to be asleep or not even know its on. If this was a decade ago and getting anime was hard, either online or physically, I can see the appeal of staying up late into the night to watch these strange cartoons. That's how I felt about Sci-Fi Anime back in the day, but that's just it, that's back in the day and things have massively changed. If you're interested in anime, and you're not an idiot, you can find it through varying means on the net without ever needing cable.

Heroman was by design a Saturday morning cartoon masquarading as an anime, and it too would have been a primo fit for a weekday afternoon slot. But for a late-night slot, which this is analogous to the Midnight Run, it's a little too juvenile.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, looks interesting enough especially Gurren Lagann.

Steins;Gate, Angel Beats!, and Spice and Wolf could also be good additions imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I nearly vommited seing fairy tail on the list. it makes sense but... ugh...

I'd definetly go for tiger and bunny, especially since I haven't finished the 2nd half.

Though the only show I REALLY want to be put up there is sgt. frog. Seriously Funi, put it on the air and let the money flow!
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Wait, when do they plan to air the relaunch of Toonami? Cause I see some people disappointed by a lack of a Baccano and Future Diary recommendation. What makes you think shows like that can air on Toonami without heavy edits?
mediaright

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Darker than black, Eden of the East (if they're cool with the 1st ep), Fairly Tale (awesome), T&B (haven't seen it, but hear great things), TTGL (of course),...

Second upvote for Ouran. Fantastic show to relax to. Light but can really pack a punch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12