• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 10 Anime Suggestions for Toonami

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
SethMosrite wrote:
I would love to see Natsume's Book of Friends. I have to admit I'm not sure if it's even licensed here, but I think this would appeal to many different demo's. It also has 50+ episodes......Finally, my out of left field choice would be Kimi ni Todoke, obviously shojo highshool drama is a stretch for Toonami, but I swear if people gave it a chance KnT would find it's audience.

Both are licensed by NIS America, and since there's no dub there's no way it'll appear on Toonami.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
SethMosrite wrote:
I would love to see Natsume's Book of Friends. I have to admit I'm not sure if it's even licensed here, but I think this would appeal to many different demo's. It also has 50+ episodes. A couple obvious choices (by obvious I am using the criteria of being recent and action oriented) would be Fairy Tail, Steins;Gate, Star Driver, and Toaru Majutsu no Index. Finally, my out of left field choice would be Kimi ni Todoke, obviously shojo highshool drama is a stretch for Toonami, but I swear if people gave it a chance KnT would find it's audience.

Actually, Index and Railgun would be a good couple of series to pick up. With 3 seasons between them of 24 episodes each, there is plenty of material to last for a while. It is just a matter of how soon and how fast Funi can dub the episodes.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The lineup has already been announced, it's true, but I'd like to nomiate Needless as a possible Toonami addition.
contagion888

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Trigun: Badlands Rumble shown. It's not like Movies were never shown on Toonami, I remember several of the Gundam movies airing including Enless Waltz and Char's Counterattack.
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but this list is awful.

Ouran, Eden of the East, Shugo Chara!, and to a lesser extent Haruhi should stay far away from Toonami. This partially has to do with the absolute lack of Action in almost all of those shows.

Yes, I know how well Tenchi did. I think Haruhi could actually fill that void. The rest of them are either contrary to the entire theme of the block or ultimately too sophisticated for what the block should be. Eden of the East is too mature of it.

Gundam 00 and Gurren Lagann are both owned by Showtime. Not that I'd want Gurren Lagann airing anywhere else but Adult Swim.

Tsubasa would... probably be a lackluster pick. It's shounen bait, but dressed up in shoujo. American girls won't like it, American boys won't like it, and none of them will get the boundless references.

Tiger and Bunny and Fairy Tail are a couple of decent picks, though. I could see them doing well.

Darker Than Black really seems like something more for Adult Swim.

I think Soul Eater might be on the cusp of what's acceptable. Unfortunately, considering it's use of violence and graphic imagery, not to mention adult references and subject matter, it might not be the best pick for something like Toonami.

And no, I don't think Toonami should just be a hipper Adult Swim. I'd want it to be the original Toonami block with all of it's shows, but less/uncensored. Kind of like what we got on April Fools.

Deadman Wonderland? Panty and Stocking? Adult Swim, guys. Try bringing back some of the classics. Maybe try Vanguard, Nadesico, maybe One Piece, Heroman, POSSIBLY Bird: The Mighty. I'd love to see them get the new Hunter X Hunter and God help them... maybe Wakfu? That'd KILL for them, I think.

But yeah. Awful list. I don't know where Gia was even going with that. Toonami is a cartoon action block not... I dunno, "random popular anime here" block.
contagion888

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
You know they are showing Deadman Wonderland right????
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
contagion888 wrote:
You know they are showing Deadman Wonderland right????

For now. I wish they'd get some fresh material, be it new or old anime, and shove Cowboy Bebop and GitS to the end of the second run only. And once they end FMA:B, do the same thing there too, kind of like what they used to do with Gigantor and some other series back in the day.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:
Try bringing back some of the classics. Maybe try Vanguard, Nadesico, maybe One Piece, Heroman, POSSIBLY Bird: The Mighty.

One Piece and Heroman are classics? Oh, OK.
txMaddog

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Just off the top of my head.

Soul Eater
Trigun
Nedisco
Oh My Goddess! (TV series and OVA's)
Tiger & Bunny
Spice & Wolf
Accel World
Voltron
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:
But yeah. Awful list. I don't know where Gia was even going with that. Toonami is a cartoon action block not... I dunno, "random popular anime here" block.

Take list like thus with a grain of salt: good intentions usually marred by the author/contributor(s) ineptness, a/or the commentary going berserko over why the list is wrong in 3,901,456 ways to Tuesday.
Farix

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:
Ouran, Eden of the East, Shugo Chara!, and to a lesser extent Haruhi should stay far away from Toonami. This partially has to do with the absolute lack of Action in almost all of those shows.

Shugo Chara! has plenty of action. It is a Magical Girl show after all. Granted it is more of a kids show so it wouldn't fit on [as], but if Toonami returns to its afternoon slot, it would be a very good fit. But not for a post-midnight run.

KaiserNeko wrote:
Eden of the East is too mature of it.

Considering when Toonami is going to air, think about it a bit more. Eden of the East won't have a problem.

KaiserNeko wrote:
Tsubasa would... probably be a lackluster pick. It's shounen bait, but dressed up in shoujo. American girls won't like it, American boys won't like it, and none of them will get the boundless references.

That's odd because Tsubasa Chronicles has quite the following. Enough of one that both seasons and all of the OVAs were picked up and received Blu-ray rereleases. But how well that will translate into ratings is anyone's guess. But it is not a forgone conclusion that it will fail.

KaiserNeko wrote:
Darker Than Black really seems like something more for Adult Swim.

*sigh* This is [adult swim].

KaiserNeko wrote:
I think Soul Eater might be on the cusp of what's acceptable. Unfortunately, considering it's use of violence and graphic imagery, not to mention adult references and subject matter, it might not be the best pick for something like Toonami.

Considering that this isn't the same Toonami that ran a few years ago, but a rebranding of [adult swim] Action, you can't say that a more mature anime isn't a "best pick".

KaiserNeko wrote:
And no, I don't think Toonami should just be a hipper Adult Swim. I'd want it to be the original Toonami block with all of it's shows, but less/uncensored. Kind of like what we got on April Fools.

That Toonami will never return. Time to move on.

KaiserNeko wrote:
Deadman Wonderland? Panty and Stocking? Adult Swim, guys.

Again, Toonami is a rebranding of [as] Action. So if it would fit on [as] Action, it will fit on the new Toonami.

KaiserNeko wrote:
Try bringing back some of the classics. Maybe try Vanguard, Nadesico, maybe One Piece, Heroman, POSSIBLY Bird: The Mighty. I'd love to see them get the new Hunter X Hunter and God help them... maybe Wakfu? That'd KILL for them, I think.

Other than the current Hunter X Hunter series, I have no interest in seeing any of those series on TV. And I doubt that they would attract any new viewers either. [as] needs something that will attract new viewers who aren't already watching [as]. Not something that will pander to the otaku who are already watching.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
I would die and go to heaven if we got an unedited dub for Pretty Cure and it aired on Adult Swim. I might actually use my cable for more than just baseball and Game of Thrones.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing Sgt. Frog and the Funimation dub for One Piece on Toonami, as well as Crayon Shin Chan (If they don't put it on [Adult Swim] they might as well add it to Toonami.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:

And for criminy's sake, if there was going to be a new adventure anime on the block it ought to be the current Hunter X Hunter.

This was probably the best suggestion of the thread, I'm surprised it only got one mention. Best prospect of unlicensed/undubbed series that would be completely at home on what is Adult Swim's Toonami. Hunter X Hunter seems like a show that would have fit on old school Toonami block while probably having just a little too much graphic content to fit in day time or primetime- therefore fitting with AS's "mature" audience. A great compromise between a nostalgic choice, that is actually new, and something Cartoon Network would only play at night.

I'll also give support for Tiger and Bunny. If not that, another show that might fit the classic image of Toonami while having a bit of an adult level of violence at times would be the unlicensed and undubbed Heroman, one of those shows that didn't make it big in Japan but would maybe work better in the US.
Toonami, whether it be on in the daylight or Evening hours or late at night should be FUN, it should be exciting and feature heroes. I think they really struck out with Deadman Wonderland and Casshern, and not just because I personally hate the one and have little interest in the other, it's just that those shows are not "Toonami" shows. They fit more with the failed anime blocks like on IFC and Fuse. Dark, "gritty" and almost completely devoid of any rewatch value.

All AS seems to be bringing back is the name Toonami and T.O.M. bumpers. The actual shows are the same ones they probably already purchased before knowing it was going to be packaged as "Toonami."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sekari

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
These shows sound interesting to me:
- Darker than Black
- Fairy Tail
- Gurren Lagann
- Shugo Chara!

I already watched these 2, so I wouldn't like them on TV:
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00
- Ouran High School Host Club

I began watching these, got bored, and I don't plan to continue:
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Tiger and Bunny

Booooring!
- Eden of the East (even the movies are lame)

The manga is WAY better, the anime was slow and poorly adapted. Even the 3rd season got cancelled. So I wouldn's like this on Toonami EVER:
- Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12