• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 10 Anime Suggestions for Toonami

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Considering Shugo Chara is thrown there as a nice replacement holder for Sailor Moon, what other series of its kind would work?

Precure would be my best guess. Although it should be noted that Sailor Moon worked because it was in the afternoon timeslot, right after kids from elementary/middle school got home. It would not work at all in the current Toonami timeslot of 12 am - 6 am and nor would Precure of course. The only magical girl show that could work in that timeslot would of course be Madoka Magica.

I personally think Pretty Cure would work alright. Especially if they go with the more action packed Futari wa Pretty Cure. Shugo Chara I honestly can't believe it was on the list. It started out nicely but becomes painfully filler bogged the longer it progresses.
jlaking

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Since the 5 FUNi have aired/are airing on the FUNimation Channel, I don't see [adult swim] airing them.

Though, most shows on the FUNimation Channel have non-exclusive broadcasting rights.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
LuckySeven wrote:
I think Haruhi could work on Toonami, they'd just have to reduce the Endless Eight down to 3 episodes. First 2 and the last 1 would work.
Indeed, otherwise the ratings would be extremely poor, unless these people fall asleep with the TV on while it's airing.

Though I doubt they'd skip episodes. [adult swim] is not known for skipping episodes unless it's stuff like what led to Cowboy Bebop airing with many episodes skipped due to 9/11.

[adult swim] did skip the four recap episodes of Wolf's Rain.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see Legend of the Legendary Heroes get some love. And Zettai Karen Children (Psychic Squad), but that's not going to happen. Gintama would be great, except that it's subbed, and Toonami would never put up subbed anime. Toaru Majutsu no Index when it comes out from Funimation (COME ON PEOPLE!) would be awesome.

...And Shugo Chara hasn't even been licensed yet, has it? I know Crunchy Roll has the streaming rights, but...
wAnder481

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
It all kinda depends on the audience they're going for. I don't think they're aiming for the 8-13 year old range anymore, but rather hitting the nostalgia nerve and introducing a few shows that might peak those viewer's interests.

I'm all down for some Darker than Black and I'm still surprised that that show didn't make it on air when it first came out! Eden of the East would be great too since AS seems to have a love affair with Production IG and Kenji Kamiyama. Gurren Lagann also deserves a chance to be rediscovered. I wouldn't toss it out of the realm of possibility just yet solely because its already aired on another network. They've rescued countless shows before and as long as they think it will pull in ratings, they'll air it!

I think Sengoku Basara would make a great fit too. (Another Production IG show) And if they feel like getting a bit edgier, I'd love to see Baccano! and Black Lagoon on there too. Durarara might not have pulled in the best numbers, but I think it stands a good chance. Both of those shows are planned to be re-released on Blu-Ray this year as well so I can see Funi and Aniplex wanting to push those shows out as well.

Personally though, I'd love to see new episodes of dubbed One Piece!

Last edited by wAnder481 on Sat May 19, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
JarethaUlrich

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Read the rules. No listing. -TK]
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00 make a ton of sense & Darker Than Black + Tsubasa are interesting ideas (though unfortunately, Tsubasa is more slowly paced than it should be). Tiger & Bunny ought to be a slam dunk.

It's not that there's anything wrong with the shoujo shows, but they're unrealistic. Shugo Chara skews young and isn't picked up by a R1 distributor. There's no action in Ouran to speak of & it's the same issue with Haruhi Suzumiya with very limited exceptions. It's one thing to be a good anime, it's another to fit Toonami's action-oriented identity in some way.

For adventure, Guin Saga might be at the top of the list. The dub has some issues but outside of that, it's a great-looking and sweeping heroic fantasy that's on a whole other level compared to Tsubasa.

Longer term, they should be open to running movies. Redline and Sword of the Stranger would be fabulous as "Toonami in-flight movies", Toonami 1.0 did Month of Miyazaki once (Princess Mononoke would fit at a minimum), they could even swing slower and moodier like Jin-Roh. In the cases of Eden of the East and Gundam 00, there are follow-up movies that could be aired. I'm just thinking of a few things off the top of my head; there's a lot of possibility there if they're open to exploring it. The nice thing about the better anime movies that appeal to the older set is that they're movies and well-made, there generally isn't this issue of them looking "too old".

As for the fond memories poll, I had to pick Gundam Wing. It's what made me an anime fan for keeps.

JarethaUlrich wrote:
I believe Shugo Chara's first season got licensed at once point, and made it to a DVD release. I remember seeing the boxset at a con.

Really? Do you recall the publisher? I knew the manga was out there, but could've sworn the show has been stream-only all along.
amagee

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I can see all these potentially being successful but I'm a bit reserved about the choices for female fans. Most of the female fans I know are into Black Butler and other, more modern pretty boy stuff.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is the best possible choice for any return of Gundam given its Wing-like properties.

Also, someone suggested Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt which means one of two things: way too much wishful thinking or a lack of an understanding of American television censorship. Laughing
mediaright

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Going out on a limb here: Two words...STAR DRIVER.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Toaru Majutsu no Index when it comes out from Funimation (COME ON PEOPLE!)

To be fair, it's not FUNi's fault. The Geneon Universal merger in Japan held up materials. Believe me, FUNi is working as fast as it can without jeopardizing quality.

As for the lineup, I'm also shocked Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt isn't on here. Yeah, it's a little more mature, but I think it would be great for a late-night crowd.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breath for any Gundam. Bandai Entertainment doesn't do DVDs anymore, so how can they profit from a TV run?

Except one of the only reasons Bandai Entertainment still exists is to help get things on TV:

Quote:
As a corporate entity, Bandai Entertainment will stick around, albeit in a very different form. The company will continue to sublicense its shows to internet and TV broadcasters, as well as for merchandising. "The function of Bandai Entertainment will change towards helping group companies as opposed to making profit ourselves. We will continue handling licensing and sub-licensing for digital, tv and merchandise for group company properties," says Iyadomi, adding that this new role might even involve shows that Bandai Entertainment never had access to. "Whatever group companies want us to handle, we will help them. Our purpose going forward will be like it was in 1996-1998, before we started doing physical distribution.

Source

Mee Deggi The Punisher wrote:
Wait, when do they plan to air the relaunch of Toonami? Cause I see some people disappointed by a lack of a Baccano and Future Diary recommendation. What makes you think shows like that can air on Toonami without heavy edits?

It'll air 12AM through 6AM.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
But what's the point of getting it on TV if there aren't DVD sales to make a profit from? That's the entire point of putting anime on television, to sell it. How does it benefit Bandai Entertainment to have shows it can no longer profit from on television?

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat May 19, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Farix

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is the best possible choice for any return of Gundam given its Wing-like properties.

Sci-Fi/SyFy already aired Gundamoo years ago, so if that's what you meant to by a return of Gundam it's already happened and old news. We know they're not going to be playing Zeta or the like, so it's a toss up between 00, Wing, or SEED or what they put back. G Gundam has been out of print forever, so that's not likely.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by TnKtRk on Sat May 19, 2012 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
If Toonami airs Darker Than Black, Fairy Tail, Gurren Lagann, Tiger & Bunny, and Tsubasa Chronicle, I'll definetly make time to watch it. I have not seen any of those anime, and they sort of peaked an interest. Ouran High School Host Club I plan to purchase on DVD soon, so I really don't care if they air it.

Other than that, I have no suggestions, those are some good ones that Gia came up with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12