• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Revival to Have 'New Original Anime Programming'

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This could be really bad or really good....I'm leaning toward bad because chances are they'll get the most popular mainstream stuff that really isnt that great.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Or more "BIG O" SEASON 3! Hahaha! Yeah that's a bit of a pipe dream but you never know! I loved IGPX so I'm willing to say they'll be decent. And Zac mentioned about Boondocks season 4 so ehh... its not terrible but this industry will take what it can get!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I'd be shocked if Fairy Tail isn't there. Its the new big battle shonen, and it just got dubbed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
has revealed that the network is developing "new original anime programming"

Developing meaning they have a hand in the creation process, yes? I don't see how that can be easily applied to existing or soon to be existing (Summer/Fall) anime from Japan.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This could be really bad or really good....I'm leaning toward bad because chances are they'll get the most popular mainstream stuff that really isnt that great.

I'm wondering what they mean by new original? does that mean they are acquiring anime to dub shows themselves or are they going to make more anime style toons like Boondocks.

But yeah, also, I don't think it matters if the anime they get is mainstream or niche, most anime these days isn't that great in general anyway, at least not IMO.

But speaking of acquisitions, I would be ever so happy if they tried to get either Shiki or Panty & Stocking one to air on the block. Or for maybe give Monster a go, see if it does better there then it did on Scifi. None of these things will happen probably, but meh a guy can dream.

Also would be nice to see Deadman Wonderland &/or Future Diary on Toonami when Funi finishes their dubs down the road, but again thats probably asking for too much.
Sketchor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
"New original anime" if that means co-productions (and it should) then Adult Swim and Toonami are taking action animation seriously. I.G.P.X. was a flop and Big O season 2 was a moderate success. Who knows what they could end up making but I look forward to seeing it.

Nice to see them confirm returning Toonami programming. I'm pretty sure 2AM will be Outlaw Star on the premiere line-up. It was the only show on Toonami's stunt line-up on April 1st that gained viewers from it's lead-in. DBZ did really well of course and that might actually be enough to bring even that back but I'd much prefer to see slots go to Yu Yu Hakusho, the first season of Big O, Blue Sub No. 6 (or it can run as a movie) and various Gundam series.

Don't bother with Naruto Shippuden but out of personal preference I hope they consider bringing back One Piece.
silencer226

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Well the block is back, for that I am happy, now I just hope the shows they air are good. I have a slight feeling Fairy Tail is going to aired at some point. I hope they don't ride on nostalgia a lot though, there are many shows worth showing to get new fans.

My heart goes out to those poor guys who believe they're gonna be seeing Sailor Moon on tv again.

Last edited by silencer226 on Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail would be nice.
_V_

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Well its more like Midnight Run, but still: even the Saturday block dropped off to nothing after Code Geass ended and they didn't really step up to fill the void. I hope we can sustain saturday night airings.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I interpret this to mean they're making the sort of efforts that gave us more Big O and IPGX and such. Here's hoping some good stuff comes of it.

Actually, I wonder if they have anything going on with Studio 4C. ThunderCats may not get more than one season, but the art & animation for that is absolutely solid. It'd be nice to see that partnership with Cartoon Network continue.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope this'll be good. Time will tell, I suppose. I remember watching the 1998 programming when I was 13-14. (Sailor Moon Dic Dub was my gateway anime.)

I'd love to see something like Panty & Stocking on Adult Swim since I really doubt it'd make its way to Toonami, assuming the programming is similar to the days of old.
marie1901

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see what's going to be on the new line-up. Hopefully it's good!
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I think this block's scheme could possibly be sustainable. They returned the format to way it was originally. Cool. I don't see the point of it, ultimately, given the fact that there's an Adult Swim, and any shows that would have normally been suited for [as], but not Toonami safe, would fit this Toonami airing time anyway. (I mean, if the objective is protecting America's innocent little children, who should be safely tucked in their blankies and jammies with the feet, from all the harmful animated violence and lewd innuendo).

Oh, well. All aboard The Nostalgia Express!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, to think I'd ever hear this news in my lifetime is short of truly amazing. When Toonami shut down years ago, I thought Toonami was forever finished and all I would have is memories.

I wonder how this will turn out? It's been such a very long time since I really had the chance to watch anime on TV besides Bleach on AS for several years now.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Probably just toy tie-ins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11