• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim's Toonami Block to Air Casshern Sins, Deadman Wonderland

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've got Durarara!! on DVD, the remainder of Kekkaishi on my DVR and I'm probably going to watch both Casshern Sins and Deadman Wonderland. I do think Funimation will give Toonami dubbed episodes, especially since they do have the licensed, I don't think they'll air it subtitled.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh hey, something where Tiger and Bunny could have totally blown this thing Sky High.

Thanks for sitting with your thumbs up your ass, Viz. It's truly appreciated.

Read my last post.

Why makes you think they hadn't? They blame Viz for sitting passively on the property. Your "last post" says that Viz is only now announcing the dub cast ... and that is how many months since Tiger & Bunny finished?

If Viz had been quicker off the mark, this block could have opened with Tiger & Bunny.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh hey, something where Tiger and Bunny could have totally blown this thing Sky High.

Thanks for sitting with your thumbs up your ass, Viz. It's truly appreciated.

Read my last post.

Why makes you think they hadn't? They blame Viz for sitting passively on the property. Your "last post" says that Viz is only now announcing the dub cast ... and that is how many months since Tiger & Bunny finished?

If Viz had been quicker off the mark, this block could have opened with Tiger & Bunny.
The show ended in September so it's been about six months. But the point is they've had the rights from day one (making it effectively a year since they got the rights) so they could have at least looked into getting an idea of what they wanted cast wise as it was airing.

Also, If I took six months to decide anything, I'd be booted out of my job so fast I'd escape the earth's gravitational pull.

Whilst it's an interesting line up, I hope to high hell it gets ratings (I'm somewhat concerned, I was under the impression Deadman was bad so that's already half of the new line-up out to pasture) to keep New Toonami going until Tiger and Bunny can begin taking asses, kicking names and having princess catches.

I really don't want to think about the conciousness of New Toonami being a failed experiment. It's nice to have something that's got a budget of more than 2$ run, you know?
TD912

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
(The following is just my opinion, just getting that out there...)

Although Tiger & Bunny is a good show, i'm not sure how it would fit with the rest of Toonami's lineup. I think the main reason people think it'll do well is because they can relate to the western-style superhero aspect of it, which I'm not sure is what Toonami wants/needs right now.

What I've noticed is that what the fans really want isn't always what the majority of viewers really want, which is why it's always hard to please everybody.

Maybe later they can experiment with Panty & Stocking or Tiger & Bunny, but for now I think sticking with "regular" action anime is a good thing.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
(The following is just my opinion, just getting that out there...)

Although Tiger & Bunny is a good show, i'm not sure how it would fit with the rest of Toonami's lineup. I think the main reason people think it'll do well is because they can relate to the western-style superhero aspect of it, which I'm not sure is what Toonami wants/needs right now.

What I've noticed is that what the fans really want isn't always what the majority of viewers really want, which is why it's always hard to please everybody.

Maybe later they can experiment with Panty & Stocking or Tiger & Bunny, but for now I think sticking with "regular" action anime is a good thing.

Actually I think Tiger & Bunny is just a good a fit as Casshern & Deadman. Pretty accessible to anyone who's a fan of super-hero type stuff. And Panty & Stocking is GAINAX, and past Gianax works like EVA & FLCL have done well on TV, so I don't see why it can't air eventually as well.

But yeah, Casshern & Deadman were probably better picks for starters i'll admit. But I would not be surprised at all if T&B & P&S joined the block either sometime this fall or early next year.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think they really goofed. Both premieres ratchet the darkness up to 11, and with no nostalgic retreads, I really wonder if either show will find an audience.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Actually, I think they really goofed. Both premieres ratchet the darkness up to 11, and with no nostalgic retreads, I really wonder if either show will find an audience.

I'm pretty sure both shows will do at least within whatever [Adult Swim]s estimated numbers are. I mean its not like this is the first time we've seen darker anime on AS, Paranoia Agent isn't really what I would call a happy show, and Trinity Blood had some dark moments.

I don't think they've goofed at all. And again the block is starting from scratch it has to claw its way up and get the funds to buy back the rights to those "Nostalgic" shows as well as more new content.

But hey, to each their own.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Whilst it's an interesting line up, I hope to high hell it gets ratings (I'm somewhat concerned, I was under the impression Deadman was bad so that's already half of the new line-up out to pasture) to keep New Toonami going until Tiger and Bunny can begin taking asses, kicking names and having princess catches.

Of course, its a different setting than online streaming ~ Deadman Wonderland has a great opening for a 12:30am anime, and its pretty flashy. Maybe they know their audience better than the ANN forums do: the fact that the plot is a confusing mess might not be as important as the flash.

I don't know the 12:00am late Saturday Evening Adult Swim anime audience ... so I have no idea (1) how much of the demographic that tunes into Bleach will get sucked into watching the next half hour by the great OP and the flash and (2) how much of the demographic that tunes in for Casshern Sins will tune in half an hour early for Deadman Wonderland.

And after all, if they get sucked in by the OP, watch it, find its kind of "meh", but then like the Casshern Sins reboot, then at the shared living room of the rent per room college town rented house, it could be "hey, leave that on, the next one coming up is good".

It could end up working, it could end up failing, but I wonder whether an online forum at ANN is all that representative of the 1m+ (on a good night) who presently tune in to watch the Bleach dub on Adult Swim late Saturday evening. If DW can hold as many of them as the re-run of FMA:Brotherhood does, and if it can also grab a share of the demographic that doesn't watch Robot Chicken and Bleach but will tune in for Casshern Sins, it might be able to get a ratings bump.
Rahl99

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:
The first number is Household rating. The second is viewers, in thousands. In both cases Durarara is pulling in higher ratings than Cowboy Bebop.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing for Durarara, pulling in somewhat better ratings, over a show that's been played fairly consistently for 10 years. Lets be honest, its not a landslide victory, like a 100% or even 50% higher rating over Cowboy Bebop might have been, considering CB's long broadcast history.

That right there is one of the reasons they keep playing the shows like CB, GitS, FLCL, etc., because they are consistent performers that they can count on to bring in a certain number of views. Also, since they play the shows over a long period of time (years in most cases), its a good bet they have fairly cheap, long-term broadcast rights to them (and money is definitely and issue for this block).

Looking at this ratings guide someone posted here, shows some negative things for the action block, things a lot of people have know for years. That action usually under-performs comedy. By fair margins too. Bleach at 12:00am (the best anime performer on the list, with around a million views), takes in 200-500 thousand fewer viewers than a number of the 3:00 am comedy reruns, to say nothing of the 11-12:00 comedy shows (I'll be honest here, its mostly Family Guy). Even 4:45 am runs of Squidbillies brought in more views than a lot of the anime on the list, including Durarara. Numbers like that are what make higher-ups consider axing a block and replacing it with more comedy.

So we should be very thankful that [as] is doing this, and we should give them as much support as we can. Otherwise there may not be much of a serious action block left in a few years time.

Last edited by Rahl99 on Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Rahi is right, I believe even Damarco said that if Toonami doesn't do well [Adult Swim] will pretty much be giving up on anime. So yeah if this doesn't work a few years down the road there may be no anime on the block at all or just rerun hell of Bleach, Bebob, FMA, FLCL, GITS, & Inuyasha. No new shows acquired...ever.

So yeah lets all support the block people. Cool Shocked
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Rahl99 wrote:
... Looking at this ratings guide someone posted here, shows some negative things for the action block, things a lot of people have know for years. That action usually under-performs comedy. By fair margins too. Bleach at 12:00am (the best anime performer on the list, with around a million views), takes in 200-500 thousand fewer viewers than a number of the 3:00 am comedy reruns, to say nothing of the 11-12:00 comedy shows (I'll be honest here, its mostly Family Guy)....

To be fair, though, if they played those same comedy shows in the wee hours of the morning Saturday, the ratings would be lower than they are on weeknights ~ Adult Swim's main demographic will be a smaller share of the total audience 2am Saturday evening than 2am Thursday evening.

{Waves at list} the three new airings up here somewhere and then {waves lower down at the same list} the cheaper reruns in the second half of the block down here ... that's a much better look on the ratings chart than the new airings down here {waves lower down again} with the dozen or more time reruns.

I was in Australia when Toonami was bringing in a lot of still-anime-fans, so I don't have "glory days" stars in my eyes about the block. A reasonable goal for the block is to keep justifying a new license airing when one of the 12:30am-1:30am series completes. And, probably, the more recent vintage on at 12:30am and the older vintage new license at 1:am. If those pan out, then what happens at 2am-3am is a lot less critical. They could, as I noted, finish out the run of Cowboy Bebop with a double-header after GitS finished, or maybe its the other way around, and then could finish Durarara out as double-headers. Heck, they could run FMA;Brotherhood "marathons" in that slot until FMA:Brotherhood finishes out, which would be must faster when running 3 episode marathons. Indeed, running three-episode Marathons would be a way to cycle through cheaper re-runs that might attract more profile than an episode-per-week cycle.

If they see the new airings at 12:30am to 1:30am on 0.8 ratings on a good night and 0.5 on a bad one, that'll make them a lot happier than seeing Drrr! at 0.6 on a good night and 0.4 on a bad one.
Rahl99

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Which was why i mentioned 4:45 Squidbillies doing better than a lot of the anime. 4:45 am being a rerun slot, and a daily weekday show, still does better than most of the anime (only airing on a weekly basis). And as for times, the top of the list is dominated by Family Guy, American Dad, and Robot Chicken, regardless of first or second showing, and the vast majority of those aren't new episodes. The lower half of the list is dominated by Saturday and Sunday showings, with a health showing of the less viewed programming from the rest of the week. The ratings for late night comedy on a Saturday would still outperform the current programming. Which is why the Saturday Block needs all the viewership they can get, regardless if the programming is to our taste.

Another thing to consider for the rerun slot too is the west coast USA. That is what the rerun slot (3-6am) might have originally been for, so west coasters could get the same shows at the same time on one channel. Many channels used to do this and still do , airing rerun episodes about 3 hours after the first showing. So an influx of west coast viewers used to effect programming viewership. Though one would think in the case of late night broadcasting, that some of those viewers would have just caught the first viewing, at an earlier time.

This is somewhat moot now with the existence of Cartoon Network West. That's on Dish Network at least, I'm not sure how many carriers actually have both CN channels. Exact same programming, but with a 3 hour shift for the time difference. Rating information is probably compiled using both channels, or so I'd hope.

The only proper way to judge it, would be for them to put comedy programming on the block, and see how the numbers compare. Something they might consider on limited test run in a limited coverage area. But that would not be beneficial to the action block as a whole, in my opinion.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Rahl99 wrote:
... The ratings for late night comedy on a Saturday would still outperform the current programming. ...

Not Bleach, I don't think. Whether it would draw a 0.6 is questionable ~ but OTOH Drrr!! doing what Family Guy would have done in the same slot is not good enough, because Drrr!! has independent licensing costs to justify, and Family Guy has already covered its licensing cost.

That's why I say I reckon if they can hold closer to the Bleach rating for the hour following, that could be enough to hold the block. Obviously doing that and Bleach also getting a rating bump would be even better.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Rahl99 wrote:
... The ratings for late night comedy on a Saturday would still outperform the current programming. ...

Not Bleach, I don't think. Whether it would draw a 0.6 is questionable ~ but OTOH Drrr!! doing what Family Guy would have done in the same slot is not good enough, because Drrr!! has independent licensing costs to justify, and Family Guy has already covered its licensing cost.

That's why I say I reckon if they can hold closer to the Bleach rating for the hour following, that could be enough to hold the block. Obviously doing that and Bleach also getting a rating bump would be even better.

Yeah hopefully those that usually tune in Saturday night just for Bleach will stay and give Casshern & Deadman a chance as well.

And again hope theres enough of the Toonami Faithful left out there to keep the block healthy! *knock on wood*
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I'm saying it's not really an experiment if you've aired similar shows in the past and they've all failed. I also haven't seen DW, but will DVR. Casshern, not so much.

So, the vibes I'm getting from you, Beatdigga, mean you are focusing on the bad instead of where it could go good, and are pretty much trying to find an excuse to post I_called_it.jpg.

Toonami is way too much of a household name to be passed up on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17