• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Okami Pinkos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Plus there aren't there at least two, maybe even three romanization systems for spelling Japanese words?

Correct.

It can be a real pain, especially since the Japanese themselves tend to use the one that's the least useful to English speakers. All of them, however, use something over the "o" to indicate long vowels.... at least some of the time. Both Hepburn systems seem to do it with a macron sometimes and double vowels in other cases. It's complicated. Furthermore, official translations of anime names often just lop off the second vowel but almost never use a macron (ō) or circumflex (ô). So they'll do things like romanizing a name as "Kyoko" when it really should be "Kyouko" or "Kyōko".

Personally, I really don't like macrons, but it is a "correct" way of doing it.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Also, I think "actually" has become a trigger word as of late for the way geeks/nerds obnoxiously correct others. Countless obnoxious internet conversations begin with, "Actually... [insert correction here]."

I honestly wonder how much of that is possibly a matter of some kind of "binary" concept. Like in a conversation, you're either right or wrong. There's no in-between, no friendly social conversations that could be productive or constructive and lead to an agreement. Just that "one-or-the-other" way of thinking. Not that I'm saying that is the case, but it is something I've heard once from a recent episode of a podcast I listen to and I was just curious if that could apply to what you're talking about. Also...

erinfinnegan wrote:
For me the break-out performance is Terri Doty as Alice Kiriki, the club's uptight workaholic secretary. (I haven't heard Doty in other shows, apparently.) Her voice is uniquely memorable and absolutely perfect for the character.

You probably don't remember because so far you found the show to be bothersomely mediocre, but Terri Doty was also in Fairy Tail as Virgo, the celestial spirit with the maid outfit Lucy has (I apologize about the size of the image, I couldn't find a smaller one).

Last edited by Hypeathon on Mon May 21, 2012 9:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

But is IS spelled that way on the official box art, by the Japanese company that released the show, saying something like, "Oops, sorry. You were right, it is like that on the box. I fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out." would be much more appropriate than your snarky comeback.

Although I'd add that acting like I'm that guy's apologetic butler and not only apologizing but thanking him for correcting me is pretty ridiculous. I fixed it, shut up about it already.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I want Ōkami-san and Her Seven Companions to be worth my time, but I've gotten very little indication that it is, but it seems to suffer from too many anime standards that I'm tired of, such as the school club setting and being generalist 'fixers', or just plum don't like, such as the prolonged discussions of breasts. It's a pity too, I like Terri Doty's, but I don't get many chances to here it in anime because she hasn't shown up in many things that I care to listen to.

If I have a convenient chance to see it all legally for free with the English dub, I might yet watch Legend of the Legendary Heroes, just because I'm just enough of a sucker for fantasy to give it a try.

I feel like I should be watching Space Brothers, but for some reason all that I've done with it is making some weak jokes to myself about how it sounds like the name for a failed, corny space-themed pizzeria chain.

erinfinnegan wrote:
Plus there aren't there at least two, maybe even three romanization systems for spelling Japanese words? I'm not a linguist, so I should probably not comment further.

There's pretty comprehensive Wikipedia article on the subject. The most common is Hepburn romanization, which is a more or less a phonetic system, uses <ō>. Kunrei-shiki and Nihon-shiki, which are more phonemically accurate, uncommon, use <ô>. (Jason Thompson uses circumflexes for long vowels, but adheres to Hepburn otherwise) Typing Japanese with a QWERTY keyboard or romanization without an easy way to add diacritics uses <ou>. There's a system used in some language teaching books that uses <oo>. It's also sometimes written <oh>, but that doesn't seem to be associated with any particular system.

I actually like Nihon-shiki best, but almost nobody uses it.

There are a lot of other complications related to finer phonetic and morphological points, but for present purposes, it'll do. (If we have to certify out credentials, I have a Bachelor's degree in Linguistics, albeit a rusty one)

(I swear that I started writing this before anybody else more or less made it redundant, but then I got distracted by a bowl of cold pasta and making some tea...)

erinfinnegan wrote:
Also, I think "actually" has become a trigger word as of late for the way geeks/nerds obnoxiously correct others. Countless obnoxious internet conversations begin with, "Actually... [insert correction here]."

Well, there's also some standing animosity between the involved parties in this case.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I actually just got Ookami-san today. The dub is awesome. I like to think of it as a guilty pleasure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
So Space Brothers is...so-so and perhaps trending down? That's a shame. I think I'll continue holding off on this one and see what the response is when it's finished.

Zac wrote:
Although I'd add that acting like I'm that guy's apologetic butler and not only apologizing but thanking him for correcting me is pretty ridiculous. I fixed it, shut up about it already.

I don't think you need to thank him or even apologize but if you want people to drop it you'd do much better to just say "Okay, it looks like you're right. Fixed".
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Ōkami-san when I watched it on Hulu sometime last year. It wasn't great, but I enjoyed the light romance aspect of it more than most, since I'm a complete sucker for that kind of stuff, and I found the twisted fairytales to be absolutely hilarious! As for the narration, it seems it is usually a hate-it or love-it type of thing. I liked the tone and the humor in the narration, but since my eyes aren't what they used to be (extreme near sitedness to with a prescription that pretty much shrinks things) and I didn't have a very big screen to watch it on, I found that the sheer volume of text in the subtitles made it tough to watch.

Then I watched the first two episodes of the dub on hulu after Funi released them. WOW! It was night and day! All of a sudden, I could pay attention to the really very good art, enjoy the humor of the narration and the characters 4th wall violations, and the really fun way they twist the fairytale stories into, yes, fairly typical anime tropes and cliches. I usually don't have that much trouble with cliche elements in shows anyway, since, in my opinion, they are always there in most every type of entertainment and people tend to complain about them too much. But I don't think the tropes and cliches were used poorly in Ōkami-san, because of the way they were used to twist the fairytale stories and several times were used with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. I thought it was a neat approach.

Anyway, I ordered the BD/DVD set after watching those two episodes, so, while I still don't think it is high art, and the "dumpling" bit in the Oni hunting(*) episode was a bit on the off-color side and too over the top, I still love watching it. It is great fun.

*The Oni hunt is based on a Japanese fairytale, by the way, though I don't beleive Momotaro was supposed to have large breasts... But, since momotaro is Peach Boy, and they switched the character to be female (bisexual, but female none the less) I can see how they go from "Peach" to large breasts... Just think The Steve Miller Band's song "The Joker" ("really love your peaches wanna shake your tree...") Makes sense...
Maigraith

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

If I have a convenient chance to see it all legally for free, I might yet watch Legend of the Legendary Heroes, just because I'm just enough of a sucker for fantasy to give it a try.

Woo for Hulu
http://www.hulu.com/the-legend-of-the-legendary-heroes

It's been in my Queue for a while, but I keep putting it off for some reason.

To the shelf owner, that's a nice collection, especially for such a short time spent collecting^_^
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Is there a reason that pointing a misspelled title prompts such a vitriolic reaction?

Now you're just being a drama queen. I fixed it and then I made a joke about it. Christ.

Generally, the thing to do when you realize you have made a mistake is to appologize, not make a sarcastic comeback.

From what I could tell, the whole dustup started with a sarcastic comment telling Erin something along the lines of "well if you aren't going to do it right, at least do it half assed right." I know if I was on the receiving end of that I wouldn't be going out of my way to bow down and say please sir may I have another. I think perhaps the lesson for future reference is if you see a mistake in an article which is something hyper technical, its probably best to just say "hey, I just noticed this. You might want to change it to that" and leave it there.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Is there a reason that pointing a misspelled title prompts such a vitriolic reaction?

Now you're just being a drama queen. I fixed it and then I made a joke about it. Christ.

Generally, the thing to do when you realize you have made a mistake is to appologize, not make a sarcastic comeback.

From what I could tell, the whole dustup started with a sarcastic comment telling Erin something along the lines of "well if you aren't going to do it right, at least do it half assed right." I know if I was on the receiving end of that I wouldn't be going out of my way to bow down and say please sir may I have another. I think perhaps the lesson for future reference is if you see a mistake in an article which is something hyper technical, its probably best to just say "hey, I just noticed this. You might want to change it to that" and leave it there.

I didn't think it was sarcastic at all. A bit abrupt and not stated in the most polite manner, but it was meerly a statement of fact that the title should be done with some indication of the long 'O' vowel instead of the short 'O'.

My main point is that the tone of the boards is set by the editors and moderators, and with this type of rude, snarky way of treating someone who pointed out an error sets the tone for beligerent and rude behavior in general. But now I will do Zac suggests (since evidently being polite and appreciative of the fact that an error on the site has been corrected thanks to a user's comment is equivilent to being servile in his world and would be ridiculous) and drop it.

Erin said in the column:
Quote:
Before getting on the road (or in the air), I decided to take a look at Ōkami-san and Her Seven Companions. Honestly, I'd avoided reviewing this one at first because I confused it for some other fox deity-based titles like Kanokon, Inukami!, and Our Home's Fox Deity. Can you blame me?

I don't really understand why you would have confused it with a fox deity-based title, since there are not fox-dieties in the show. Yes, the title refers to a wolf, but not a wolf-deity. The main theme that I saw when looking at whether to watch Ōkami-san originally was that it used the "twisted fairytale" idea in its storytelling. The fact that the review only mentions the fairytale motif briefly was very suprising, as that was the most salient aspect of the show for me.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
What region are those DVDs from? The red circles, and the green triangles...is it UK? Australia?

You have a cute little set of figures.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The main theme that I saw when looking at whether to watch Ōkami-san originally was that it used the "twisted fairytale" idea in its storytelling. The fact that the review only mentions the fairytale motif briefly was very suprising, as that was the most salient aspect of the show for me.

Yeah, basically every character is based on someone from a fairy tale, with the main trio (Ryouko, Ringo and MaleLeadWhosNameICan'tBeAssedToRememberOrLookUp) being from Little Red Riding Hood. Though the relationships are somewhat...different.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...in an idyllic town complete with an older lady narrating “Once upon a time…” style intros.

I suppose she's older depending on your age, but at 31 Satomi Arai isn't really THAT old, and with me being 35, she'd actually be a younger lady doing the narrating Smile

I remember watching Ookami-san some time back, and I don't really recall it standing out in any significant way from the crowd. I suppose I'll see if I still have that reaction a few years from now whenever I get caught up to that point in my disc backlog.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ookami kerfuffle

Hey, I only speak two languages: bad english and bad japanese

I agree with Ms. Finnegan. Okami started good, but fell apart drastically as it progress. Great premise, but way too many stock tropes in the execution. The drop from first impression to final result was quite precarious indeed.

zensunni wrote:
All of a sudden, I could pay attention to the really very good art, enjoy the humor of the narration and the characters 4th wall violations, and the really fun way they twist the fairytale stories into, yes, fairly typical anime tropes and cliches. I usually don't have that much trouble with cliche elements in shows anyway, since, in my opinion, they are always there in most every type of entertainment and people tend to complain about them too much.

First, the art is only slightly better than average, and second, your opinion about cliches might change after you've seen the SAME DAMN ONES for the last 6 years running. Just sayin'.

And as for Space Bros. it sounds like serious drama, and I just don't do serious drama. So, a pass on that one.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Erin, that was an awesome wedding, and so much press about it too, wow. That was a great way to have a space wedding. Even if this was the future and you could be up in space, they'd probably just keep the gravity on and it wouldn't have been as fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6