• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Okami Pinkos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
a collection of only boob anime? I can't say I don't have any or don't like the romantic comedy but my palette is bigger than that.

Anyways LoL Heros seems like something I could watch if I run out of things and want to buy it. Space brothers I already watch and semi-enjoy. The score is beautiful as she said. As for the first one... The number 1 thing that is turning me off anime is that it is just all cliche and nothing new or creative, and if a review says it has alot of that I probably won't be watching.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:
All of them, however, use something over the "o" to indicate long vowels.... at least some of the time.

All of them have a way to represent these vowels, yes. But again, in practice, they often are ignored.

Of course. But I was talking specifically about the rules of the romanization systems. I even then mentioned that it was inconsistent within some of the systems themselves and that official translations of anime almost never use macrons or circumflexes.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I'd say the best part was the flashbacks in episode 6 into Ryouko and Ringo's past, particularly Ringo calling out Ryouko on the latter's sleep-talking.

Ringo was, in general, a very interesting character. I would have liked to see more exploration of her feelings for Ryouko, as unrequited as they clearly were.

There you go again.., Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
a collection of only boob anime? I can't say I don't have any or don't like the romantic comedy but my palette is bigger than that.

Anyways LoL Heros seems like something I could watch if I run out of things and want to buy it. Space brothers I already watch and semi-enjoy. The score is beautiful as she said. As for the first one... The number 1 thing that is turning me off anime is that it is just all cliche and nothing new or creative, and if a review says it has alot of that I probably won't be watching.

Yeah but for 32$ dollars the okamisan boxset isn't that bad of deal for a fun time nor is it a deal breaker. I like her character design/personality so it was a buy for me being a on a tight budget atm but yeah it's cliched and like most romance anime or light novel adapts it ends in a cliffhanger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I'd say the best part was the flashbacks in episode 6 into Ryouko and Ringo's past, particularly Ringo calling out Ryouko on the latter's sleep-talking.

Ringo was, in general, a very interesting character. I would have liked to see more exploration of her feelings for Ryouko, as unrequited as they clearly were.

Please, just take the yuri goggles off, your ability to see subtext that probably isn't there is ridiculous at this point even to me, and I pratically have yaoi goggles welded onto my head.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I only caught a bit of the dub; while I make no statements about its overall quality, I do have to wonder why they had to preserve "Okamisan" instead of just using her last name.

Ōkami is her last name. Her first name is Ryōko.

Melanchthon wrote:
zensunni wrote:
All of a sudden, I could pay attention to the really very good art, enjoy the humor of the narration and the characters 4th wall violations, and the really fun way they twist the fairytale stories into, yes, fairly typical anime tropes and cliches. I usually don't have that much trouble with cliche elements in shows anyway, since, in my opinion, they are always there in most every type of entertainment and people tend to complain about them too much.

First, the art is only slightly better than average, and second, your opinion about cliches might change after you've seen the SAME DAMN ONES for the last 6 years running. Just sayin'.

Well, opinions on art vary. Erin seemed to think it was well done...

As for watching the same tropes and cliches for 6 years running, that is all? I've been watching them most of my fourty some-odd years on this earth! Sure, anime has some that are 'peculiar' to it, like bloody noses, etc... but for the most part, they are all over the place in every form of entertainment. Heck, I saw this one show a while back that looked really interesting. But then, as I got into it, it turned out to be one trope after another all the way to the end: Fairies messing with humans for fun; the classic love polygon; the case of mistaken identity that leads to everyone falling in love with the wrong person; the complete jerk that gets magically transformed into, you guessed it, a jack-ass; a "play-within-a-play" that is laughably bad; and, of course, everything gets worked out in the end. Really, the only things it had going for it were the parody of bad play-writing and acting in the play-with-a-play and the main fairy character was fun and had some clever lines. But really, it was just one cliche after another! That Shakespeare guy is a real hack!

Saffire wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Ōkami-san turns sour every time it resorts to clichés, tropes, and anime standards.
I see this line of criticism in a fair of Shelf Life columns, and just about every time I feel like pointing out these:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreNotBad
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTropelessTale

Saying "it's bad because it has tropes" isn't a valid criticism, at least not with the generally-accepted meaning of the word "trope."
Generally, I think it's implied that the problem is it isn't doing anything interesting with the tropes. It throws them out there because it's expected to have them, but it's like they're there to fill space rather than for actual execution. No one complains about a trope being presented in an interesting way.

That is where the fairytale aspects of the story, which are largely glossed over by most people that complain about the level of cliches in Ōkamisan, come in. What are fairytales if not collections of cliches and tropes that have built much of our collective narrative background? The fact that the author takes these well worn, classic tales and weaves them into stories that devolve into traditional anime cliches and tropes is, in my opinion, very clever! Do some of them fall flat? Why yes, they do. But the ones that ring true are worth the price of admission in my opinion.

As I said, it isn't high art, but it is fun, well drawn, well acted (in both dubs, but more-so in the English dub for me, since I found it much easier to follow, and Luci Christian was absolutely brilliant!) , frequently clever, and occasionally quite sweet. I wish it would get another season, but I expect the chances of that are slim at this point. Maybe someone will translate the light novels....
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Figurine collection: I'm hoping you chose the window sill for light source pix only and not as a semi-permanent display area. Sunlight can sure ruin a collectible given enough exposure time. It won't be obvious at first but continuous light exposure, even in limited brief ten minute bursts per day, will lighten or discolor the plastic. Sun exposure will also oxidize paint tints or shades on diecast items. Boo hoo, I learned that from experience. Please don't commit the same oversight.

As for Princess Jellyfish: this old guy liked it. The writers are extremely witty.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
You probably don't remember because so far you found the show to be bothersomely mediocre, but Terri Doty was also in Fairy Tail as Virgo, the celestial spirit with the maid outfit Lucy has (I apologize about the size of the image, I couldn't find a smaller one).

To be fair, there are a lot of characters in Fairy Tail!

zensunni wrote:
I don't really understand why you would have confused it with a fox deity-based title, since there are not fox-dieties in the show. Yes, the title refers to a wolf, but not a wolf-deity.

It has "kami" in the title, doesn't kami mean god? A deity schoolgirl with pointy canine ears... that seemed to be the salient point.

Sailor S wrote:
I suppose she's older depending on your age, but at 31 Satomi Arai isn't really THAT old, and with me being 35, she'd actually be a younger lady doing the narrating Smile

It sounded like she was playing an older lady, more so in the dub. I don't remember if the narrator says her age at some point, but it sounds like something the narrator-character would say in this show.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Or to use an English example, Aaron and Erin are not the same, even though to many people, they sound quite similar. Very likely Aaron would not like people writing his name as Erin, and vice versa for Erin.

My parents always told me "Erin" was the girl version of the name, (it is also the Gaelic word for Ireland, while Aaron was Mose's brother, and is always the male spelling. I once met a boy who spelled it Erin, throwing off my world view (the girl version is more popular).

The King of Harts wrote:
I can attest to Aaron hating it when people spell it Erin. Or Aeron. Or Aron. Or Eron. Or Aren. I've seen it all.

I don't mind "Arin" as that seems like a phonetic spelling. If someone spells my name wrong or pronounces funny I don't mind. Doubly so if a non-native English speaker botches it, or an English speaker from outside the U.S. where Erin is not a popular name.

That said, I was following the title spelling in the site's database in hopes that the title would auto-link to the database page about the show. I think the autolink isn't working at the moment because "&" is spelled out, but I'm also not sure how the code works.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Geez, this statement, along with the rest of your staff saying things like "the Redline dub is lifeless", "Darrel Guilbeau is perfectly fine in Durarara!!", "the Madoka dub was great", and perhaps the WORST offender, "the Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal dub gets an A", gives me the honest impression that you people wouldn't know a good dub if it bit you on the butt. Confused

At least give us some counter-examples of what you think a good dub is and list some of your favorite voice actor performances.

zensunni wrote:
Sure, anime has some that are 'peculiar' to it, like bloody noses, etc... but for the most part, they are all over the place in every form of entertainment.
... But really, it was just one cliche after another! That Shakespeare guy is a real hack!

Usually when I talk about anime tropes, I'm talking about them in the Otaku database sense of the word, as in Otaku: Japan's Database Animals by Hiroki Azuma. I haven't watch enough Elizabethan theater (that wasn't a Shakespeare comedy) to compare anime tropes to Elizabethan theater tropes, but that does sound like a grad student thesis paper... (for someone else to write, not me)
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
To be fair, there are a lot of characters in Fairy Tail!

Oh, don't worry. I wasn't bothered by the fact you didn't remember that character at all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

It has "kami" in the title, doesn't kami mean god? A deity schoolgirl with pointy canine ears... that seemed to be the salient point.

Yes, "kami" means "god"

"Ookami" means "Wolf"

"Okami" means "Woman who runs an Inn"
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Kami can also mean "paper".

Eastern Asian languages are infamous for their abnomally large amounts of homophony.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Eastern Asian languages are infamous for their abnomally large amounts of homophony.

It can also be used for hair, depends on the kanji. Point is, the annunciation of ookami and okami are different enough to warrant different spellings.
cosmic_cycler

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I heard Funimation is trying to standardize the abbreviation of Legend of the Legendary Heroes as LOL Heroes, and I'm delighted to perpetuate that abbreviation.

LOL Heroes sounds like a Big Bang Theory-style sitcom involving superheroes and internet memes.

Either that or a spastic comedy anime that's a takeoff on the fantasy genre, like Dragon Half or Elf Princess Raine.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Oh, I know, I've been studying Japanese for years. I'm still really bad at it, though (I'm a bad speller in any language). Knowing the kanji helps with homonyms so...

オオカミさんと七人の仲間たち

AUUGHH!! It's spelled in katakana. Why not 狼 (wolf)? Or god 大神 (okami)? According to jisho.org, the "boy who cried wolf" is also in katakana: オオカミ少年 (ookami shonen). That actually adds a lot to my understanding of the words in the title. She is more the fairy tale wolf than the other kind of wolf.

Nevertheless, I think the title could be improved with unpronounced and unpronounceable characters. How about this: .xxxオオカミ☆さん//と七人の仲間たち

Last edited by erinfinnegan on Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

Yes, "kami" means "god"

"Ookami" means "Wolf"

"Okami" means "Woman who runs an Inn"

Chagen46 wrote:

And actually, there's a large amount of homophone play going on with some of the characters' names.

Like 森野亮士 (Morino Ryoushi), whose name roughly means "helper of/in the forest", but "Ryoushi" could also be written 猟師 = hunter.

Akai Ringo = 赤井林檎 = red apple. (井 = well, but it's common enough in names to assume it's simply standing in for the i that would normally be in hiragana)

Ookami Ryouko = 大神涼子 = "Great/Big God + Cool Girl" (though to my knowledge she's not actually a deity spoiler[unless you count dem thighs]), but as mentioned earlier, ookami also sounds like 狼, wolf. Thus, "Cool Wolf Girl."

Quote:
I heard Funimation is trying to standardize the abbreviation of Legend of the Legendary Heroes as LOL Heroes, and I'm delighted to perpetuate that abbreviation.
That abbreviation had been going around before Funimation had the license. Though I certainly support that standardization as well.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Is there a reason that pointing a misspelled title prompts such a vitriolic reaction?
If it softens the blow any, you're not the only one to get a virtual rap on the knuckles for title corrections. I recall being called tight-assed or something for stating that the title of Magic User's Club implied that the club belonged to only one magic user. And that wasn't even an ANN staff/reviewer error, it was in the original title itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6