• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Okami Pinkos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Though there may be one or two scenes where Ōkami-san is shown with ears to highlight the fact that she is, indeed, the big bad wolf, those are few and far between...

That and the promotional art, and the part where she's BFFs with Little Red Riding Hood made me think "wolf".

zensunni wrote:
In addition, the root of the entire concept for the Okami-san story is fairytales. What is more cliche ridden than fairytales! You can't escape them, so instead of trying to escape, the author chose to have fun with them, twist them, take the classic fairytale concepts....

Yes, I know, and I liked that part of the show. I really wanted to like it more, but...

zensunni wrote:
But really, the cliches are almost all used in service of the concept in this show, for instance, the "Favor-based agency" that you site as an example in your review, other than being a good set-up for introducing many different sub plots from various fairytales.. ..Not so much of a cliche usage of the trope, is it?

I getting sick of favor-based or "do anything" agencies. A show with that premise has to work hard to earn my favor lately.

zensunni wrote:
This is why your cursory mention of the fairytale theme troubles me. If you didn't realize that the theme pervades each and every creative decission of the light novel author, then it is no wonder that you thought it was just chock full of cliches.

I promise I understood this show, and even liked parts of it! The parts I didn't like were the more otaku-ish parts of the show. I didn't make a list, but every time the show veered away from fairy tale standards to anime tropes I got annoyed.

It sounds like you really liked this show, and you're upset that I didn't like it more. Angrily denouncing my opinion as "incorrect" and nitpicking my first impression is hardly going to change my mind and suddenly make me like the show more.

For example, you were right about the "kitty" boxing gloves, I'd forgotten about that, but I don't like the show more for it. Ringo keeps making the tough girl dress in cute clothes, and that's something I've seen in lots and lots of anime and manga. Put the tough girl in a dress - hilarious! But it isn't instant comedy to me.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
From the Shelve Obsessed, I'd like to know where I can get that Nymph Wall Scroll and Figurine? (If possible, please PM me?)

Last edited by Dark Absol on Fri May 25, 2012 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I'm pretty sure my parents didn't know that bit. Erin was a very popular name in the late 70's and early 80's. My parents may have looked in some baby name books in 1979

Like most parents, I guess. Many of these baby name books are highly untrustworthy and often the authors simply just make things up, because they don't know better or to have a pretty meaning to go with every name (because some names have rather unpretty or unknown meanings, so they just change these). Apparently the word was first used as a name by Irish settlers abroad and from there became very popular in the US.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Though there may be one or two scenes where Ōkami-san is shown with ears to highlight the fact that she is, indeed, the big bad wolf, those are few and far between...

That and the promotional art, and the part where she's BFFs with Little Red Riding Hood made me think "wolf".

What I didn't understand is how you got from fairytale wolf to confusing it with "fox deity-based titles". You asked if we could blame you. I guess my answer is yes, since I don't get the connection... Smile

erinfinnegan wrote:
zensunni wrote:
In addition, the root of the entire concept for the Okami-san story is fairytales. What is more cliche ridden than fairytales! You can't escape them, so instead of trying to escape, the author chose to have fun with them, twist them, take the classic fairytale concepts....

Yes, I know, and I liked that part of the show. I really wanted to like it more, but...

zensunni wrote:
But really, the cliches are almost all used in service of the concept in this show, for instance, the "Favor-based agency" that you site as an example in your review, other than being a good set-up for introducing many different sub plots from various fairytales.. ..Not so much of a cliche usage of the trope, is it?

I getting sick of favor-based or "do anything" agencies. A show with that premise has to work hard to earn my favor lately.

This is actually the first show about a favor-based "do anything" agency that I have watched more than two or three episodes of. (Clever pun by the way! Smile ) They usually don't keep my attention, as they either don't have the type of story line that draws me in, the characters are not compelling to me, or the comedy is too hit or miss. The fairytale aspect of Ōkami-san kept my attention, and I am a sucker for light romance, which was the basic continuing plot line...

erinfinnegan wrote:
zensunni wrote:
This is why your cursory mention of the fairytale theme troubles me. If you didn't realize that the theme pervades each and every creative decission of the light novel author, then it is no wonder that you thought it was just chock full of cliches.

I promise I understood this show, and even liked parts of it! The parts I didn't like were the more otaku-ish parts of the show. I didn't make a list, but every time the show veered away from fairy tale standards to anime tropes I got annoyed.

It sounds like you really liked this show, and you're upset that I didn't like it more. Angrily denouncing my opinion as "incorrect" and nitpicking my first impression is hardly going to change my mind and suddenly make me like the show more.

For example, you were right about the "kitty" boxing gloves, I'd forgotten about that, but I don't like the show more for it. Ringo keeps making the tough girl dress in cute clothes, and that's something I've seen in lots and lots of anime and manga. Put the tough girl in a dress - hilarious! But it isn't instant comedy to me.

Well, as I have said before, cliches don't seem to bother me nearly as much as the bother other people. But really, I wasn't intending to "nitpick" your first impressions. Rather, I was confused at how little you mentioned the fairytale aspects of the story and where you got fox deity from fairytale wolf in the first place. I seriously had never even considered any deity aspect in the name. I just didn't associate Ōkami-san with Kami-sama at all, so I was really, genuinely surprised that you had confused that part... Sorry if you were offended. Much of my rant was originally aimed at someone's comment about how I might feel different about cliches after watching the same ones for six whole years! Heaven forbid! I have been watching shows full of cliches for over 40 years. Sure, the US shows use different ones than the Japanese shows, sometimes, but that doesn't mean they aren't still there. (The playing twists of gender based expectations for laughs is just as common in US shows, for instance.) The suggestion that 6 years of watching stuff with cliches might change my mind probably turned on my sarcastic tone a bit strong!

About the fairytale part, though: Reading your review, I thought back to Carl's review of the episodes 1-6 when it was only available streaming. It isn't any more complementary about the show when it moves away from the fairytale aspects, it does stress that those aspects are the heart of the show. (That review is what prompted me to watch the show in the first place. The fractured fairytale concept sounded funny and I expected that the lapses into angst and anime standards wouldn't bother me as much as it did the reviewer.) The lack of emphasis of that fairytale theme after the first paragraph was what struck me as odd. In the quoted section above, you assured me that you understood the show, but I couldn't tell that from your review. It seems that you agree with me that the fairytale connection to each character and each storyline is essential to the humor, the fact that you only gave it a passing mention in the review left me unsure if you had "gotten" all of those sometimes quite obscure, from a western point of view, references. I am really not meaning to attack your point of view on the show. (Aside, I suppose from the whole fox deity thing... sorry again if I offended...)

Since I bought the DVD/BluRay combo for the show, you are correct in thinking that I liked it. Though I must admit that the dub is what put it over the edge. Before I heard the first couple of episodes dubbed, I thought of it as a fun show with a really funny premise and a decent continuing storyline connecting the otherwise disparate episodes. But the amount of text in the subtitles, due mostly to the narration, was troublesome for my aging eyes to handle, so there was too much pausing and backing up while watching. Watching the dub, I really found it so much more enjoyable! And Luci Christian really does a great job! I also agree with you on Terri Doty's performance. She was spot-on for the role! Her dry, sarcastic tone was fantastic. In addition, I am always a fan of Brina Palencia's work. The fact that the actress who voiced Holo is voicing the wolf in this show is a nice touch, though I don't know if people would know that from listening. She really doesn't sound anything like Holo in this performance. (Which is a good thing! If Ōkami sounded like a 600+ year old wolf goddess instead of a teenager, it would be a bit off!)
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
Funny how there was even a debate about the usage of macrons in the first place when the very picture of the boxset in the article shows that the title has a macron in it.

Erin wrote:
I was willing to brush off episode seven as one stinky episode, but episode eight has an overly lengthy discussion on the merits of breast size.

Oh good lord, kill me now. That is one of my top ten most hated tropes, along with about two hundred others. It is such a lazy, misogynistic and just plain moronic trope that I've actually - as in literally - physically winced with pain from cringing after seeing it used. Not all or even most of time, but still on more than one occasion.

Yikes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6