• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Proposal Officially Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
I'm going to predict the rest of the cast. Jail-bait, er, Juno, will be Ed; Rain will be Vicious; that HSM girl who wants to be the furry, er, werewolf, in Twilight 2(Not) will be Faye; and Michael Clarke Duncan will be Jet.
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
There is no way anything will ever be as terrible as the upcoming DB movie, ever in cinema history, so there is really no other option but to bw hopeful about this.

Please don't ruin it.
otimus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
Yes, but also, the animated films ALSO get wide release there, and are advertised.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
otimus wrote:
I just can't stand this american attitude. That something is not legit unless it's live action, barring, mostly, Pixar and Disney.

Instead of making a live action Bebop, they should have paid attention to the fact that there was already a Bebop movie, and a Bebop TV series, and both, especially the movie, should have been given wide exposure, and brought closer to people.

It's like this with any of these adaptions.

Like.. that Live action Eva. God, that better not ever happen. Instead, just show the new damned movies in a widespread theatrical release.

LOGIC AM NOT FOUND.

Umn, you do realize that Japan itself has made multiple live action anime adaptions? In fact, they've probably made far far more than America has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
... and Michael Clarke Duncan will be Jet.

I would have no qualms if he was picked as Jet Black. He did a good job portraying the The Kingpin in an okay movie, Daredevil (2003). It would be a good match there.

According to IMDB, he supposedly gives $5.00 USD to anyone who recognizes him on the street and knows what his full name is.
Mappy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Three words:

Oh.
God.
No.

Unless Michael Clarke Duncan is cast as Jet. Then it will be AWESOME. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, he's the only actor I'd be ok with, too. But everyone else will probably ham it up at his expense.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I cared about this movie is about are their gonna Faye storyline as well into it or were gonna see some sequels out the end for it and as for Keanu the one he's needs to get better is his expressions, I'm hoping it will change soon at least the time.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Another pressing concern -- what kind of starring role will the 3-disc CB bootlegs get? Laughing
nynextew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, Keanue... really? As long as he's not playing anything parallel to "the one," He might have a chance at pulling it off. Rolling Eyes
Batman3777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity... would all of you like some cheese with your WHIIIIIIINE!?!?!? Shocked

Good grief. What on earth were you expecting from live action? You have trouble picturing Keanu as Spike, as if anyone else would be better? Starting with the physical, what actor could sport a moss-green fro and still look normal? Are you serious? Live action forms of anime look rediculous, period, whether they are produced in Japan or here in the states. At least Keanu is relatively the right shape and size for the role.

And as far as emotion goes, I never found spike to be that expressive, except when the bounty was getting away. This role doesn't call for shakespearian emoting. It doesn't call for jonny depp-style fairy-prancing and over-acting.

At any rate, if Watanabe is attached, and stays attached, this movie could very well do the anime some justice. COULD, not WILL, COULD. I won't make any final decisions until I see a trailer... or until I see who they cast as Faye. Wink

FYI, CB was my gateway anime, and is still my all-time favorite. I'm willing to give this thing a chance.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Batman: Actually, I was just thinking that I'd like Robert Downey, Jr. as Spike.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
If there were to ever be live-action Spike, I'd prefer James Franco. He even looks somewhat like Spike. And he's not twice the character's age.

And Gary Busey as Vicious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If there were to ever be live-action Spike, I'd prefer James Franco. He even looks somewhat like Spike. And he's not twice the character's age.

Seconded. I can only imagine the levels of smirk...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sapphirebreathless

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
a lot of people are saying that the music will definitely make or break this movie, and i totally agree. half the reason why cowboy bebop is so good is bc of its music. it's the only anime i've seen that has like saxophone and jazz. but also, keanu reeves isn't exactly the actor i'd pick but if the majority of the original crew are working on this then maybe this movie will stand a chance. dragonball on the otherhand..... Anime smile + sweatdrop but cowboy bebop is one of my favorite animes and it actually started the whole anime craze for me (neglecting pokemon bc everyone was obsessed with that when it first came out lol) but i think it's too early to form an opinion considering it comes out in 2011. maybe the rest of the cast will just be so spot on that we can all tolerate reeves' lack of spike-yness. i think johnny depp would make a good vicious, as suggested in a youtube vid i saw, but if it follows the first episode (dealing mostly with that whole red eye business) then they might not even get that into it. oh well, here's to hoping....
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
This is more of a spaceships and fighting/guns. So that could be done pretty good. Alien adult with no recorded teenage years was a bit too hard for them.

And the splash of the full production cast works.
This might grab more sales of the movie or the series. Which is out of print?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10