• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Proposal Officially Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
Proman wrote:
Not going to happen. No major American studio will risk being sued by hiring a composer known for plagarism.

Yoko Kanno borrows structures, as does every other composer out there, but is very good at making her own original music out of them. That's not musical plagarism.

John Williams lifts material directly from other pieces. That's plagarism. And he continues to have a thriving career.

Point is, Yoko Kanno's score is just as big a part of Cowboy Bebop. Imagine hearing a score by Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Danny Elfman, or your frequent Hollywood composer. You're gonna get wallpaper music w/absolutely no character that would be utterly forgettable.

This is a response to all those of you who didn't think I was serious. This isn't about borrowing themes from classical music. Kanno steals note for note. Entire songs. She's not good at covering her tracks either. There are blatant examples of that. I'm not going to list them for you, it's all out there. If you don't belive me, you simply don't know.

She was never called on it, but believe me, companies who invest real money into this kind of stuff will be wise. And they should be.

I am a huge movie score fan and collector. I have heard it all before. Even Zimmer is nowhere as bad. Borrowing structures from classical music isn't illegal. Stealing copyrighted works is. Yes, there have been cases of plagarism is that field too. Trust me it was never that bad.

The John Williams comment was simply stupid.

And yet, I enjoy Kanno's contributions. She does have good taste and she is a great musical producers. I still listen to her selections and enjoy them a lot. I just wish she was more honest, that's all.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
This is a response to all those of you who didn't think I was serious. This isn't about borrowing themes from classical music. Kanno steals note for note. Entire songs. She's not good at covering her tracks either. There are blatant examples of that. I'm not going to list them for you, it's all out there. If you don't belive me, you simply don't know.

She was never called on it, but believe me, companies who invest real money into this kind of stuff will be wise. And they should be.

I am a huge movie score fan and collector. I have heard it all before. Even Zimmer is nowhere as bad. Borrowing structures from classical music isn't illegal. Stealing copyrighted works is. Yes, there have been cases of plagarism is that field too. Trust me it was never that bad.

The John Williams comment was simply stupid.

And yet, I enjoy Kanno's contributions. She does have good taste and she is a great musical producers. I still listen to her selections and enjoy them a lot. I just wish she was more honest, that's all.

I don't think Yoko Kanno would steal outright from sources. Now, there's room for argument for the classical music inspiring her and it really shows. I don't know if I'm even remotely correct, but I don't think music licensing isn't as big of a deal overseas as it is over here.

A few examples sort of come to mind but it's in Korea so that's probably not very relevant...

I understand that once Yoko Kanno comes over, she'll be under more scrunity to create original works because the U.S. is so strict on copyright infringement.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Man, after first hearing Keanu was lined up to play Spike just a little bit ago, I was hoping this would be one of the many supposed anime to live action movie adaptations that would've been forgotten until his name has been dropped from the project, because otherwise, this is a really good idea. Well, I'll try to reserve some hope, I guess... I remember reading somewhere(in the Answerman column I think, actually) the suggestion of Brad Pitt playing Spike, and the more I think about it now, the more it seems like a brilliant idea. Le sigh. I also think Heath Ledge could've pulled it off, too, had he not passed away. Or if they had waited a good while longer, as I'd wanted them to, Shia LaBeouf could've tackled the role, I think. Spike is a quiet character, which works slightly to Keanu's advantage, yes, but he is also very subtle, and still has a lot of personality up his sleeve, which kind of blows Reeves' horribly dry, stoney-faced acting out of the water. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise us. Looking at his past works, however...well, I doubt it.

Maybe they should just go the comedy route with it, y'know, make it intentionally bad, perhaps hire man-Faye to portray everybody's favorite scantily clad, purple haired space "bounty hunter"/gambling addict with memory issues Razz

Nah, in all seriousness, though, even if Keanu's acting isn't...all that great... this movie could still come together quite nicely if everything else falls into place. Meaning the music, in large part, as well as various other things - good casting for the rest of the cast, of course, and the creation of the same believable, realistic seeming setting that the show had. And as somebody said earlier on, if they don't make the entire first half of the movie a bunch of expository crap that serves no real purpose to the actual plot.

Haha, and yes, at least we can still say, "well, it doesn't look as bad as DB." ...For now Razz It might be a bigger disappointment, though, as this actually has potential, where as turning DB into a live action movie was just a bad idea to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Proman, I've heard all those comparison examples. Most of them are simply ludicrious, and many are similar because Kanno worked with those very musicians in the past and likely sampled with permission. It's just a bunch of overanalyzing wannabe iconoclasts and butthurt Kajiura fans with overactive imaginations.

Kanno doesnt "plagarize" any more or less than any classical or classical-style instrumental composer. Get over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Watanabe is attached to this project.

Therefore, I will watch it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Proman, I've heard all those comparison examples. Most of them are simply ludicrious, and many are similar because Kanno worked with those very musicians in the past and likely sampled with permission. It's just a bunch of overanalyzing wannabe iconoclasts and butthurt Kajiura fans with overactive imaginations.

Kanno doesnt "plagarize" any more or less than any classical or classical-style instrumental composer. Get over it.

What penguintruth said. I listened to a good twenty or so of those "examples" gathered into a few YouTube videos, and none of them even came close to a straight note-for-note copy.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Watanabe is attached to this project.

Therefore, I will watch it.

I have to admit, that is at least a somewhat comforting fact.

But my fear is that they could just be having him do some minor consulting. This could even hurt his career.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Axe-336

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Keanu Reeves? Really? And yet I'm somehow not surprised.

Imagine him delivering this line "I see the present in one eye, and the past in the other." or doing the bell peppers and beef bit from the first episode.

Still, considering what they did with Dragonball, I'm not too surprised.
otimus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I just can't stand this american attitude. That something is not legit unless it's live action, barring, mostly, Pixar and Disney.

Instead of making a live action Bebop, they should have paid attention to the fact that there was already a Bebop movie, and a Bebop TV series, and both, especially the movie, should have been given wide exposure, and brought closer to people.

It's like this with any of these adaptions.

Like.. that Live action Eva. God, that better not ever happen. Instead, just show the new damned movies in a widespread theatrical release.

LOGIC AM NOT FOUND.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
otimus wrote:
I just can't stand this american attitude. That something is not legit unless it's live action, barring, mostly, Pixar and Disney.

Instead of making a live action Bebop, they should have paid attention to the fact that there was already a Bebop movie, and a Bebop TV series, and both, especially the movie, should have been given wide exposure, and brought closer to people.

It's like this with any of these adaptions.

Like.. that Live action Eva. God, that better not ever happen. Instead, just show the new damned movies in a widespread theatrical release.

LOGIC AM NOT FOUND.

Umn, you do realize that Japan itself has made multiple live action anime adaptions? In fact, they've probably made far far more than America has.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Nothing new. Just that Keanu is confirmed.
camhostage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
I actually like Reeves (to a point) and am glad that somebody with admiration and knowledge of anime is involved with the project. However, I'm having as hard a time as anybody picturing him as Spike. If Reeves could "star" as a different character, say the film's villain or something like that, then it might be just fine.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
I'm still gonna wait to rent & watch it when it is released to DVD, not gonna waste my money to see it at the movie theaters.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:07 am Reply with quote
Considering how much Reeves sucks recently, I'm expecting better than the DBZ movie but not by much.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Nothing like a stone-faced, forty-four year old man playing an expressive twenty-seven year old man.

Hey, why not make Jet Black a five year old Chinese girl and Faye Valentine a fat man? Then we can make Edward a computer AI and Ein is a lizard.

No, no, no and hell yes! Lizards are cool. But hey, what with certain...trends, maybe if they made Faye a 5 year old Asian it would help please the anime fans. Wink

...a little pedophile humor for ya all to start us off tonight.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Onizuka666, Firefly was cancelled because FOX screwed it up. They marketed it poorly, and showed the episodes out of order (they felt the pilot episode had too little action). It had nothing to do with Bebop, FOX is simply run by morons. They flat out admitted to hating Arrested Development, and when Futurama got the highest ratings ever for an animated pilot episode, they "rewarded" it by constantly changing its day/time-slot (AKA "show-killing" method).

I fear you are mistaken in your assertion that Fox is run by morons. By definition "mo·ron (môrn, mr-) n. 1. A stupid person; a dolt." indicates that the subject in question is a person. I would more accurately classify those who run Fox as some manner of rodent probably fairly similar to a Raccoon. (Capable of intelligence sufficient enough but not exceeding that required to open a garbage can.)

But seriously folks...

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
In the end, though, I don't care if it bombs or not. I still have the original anime I can watch to remind me of how it was done best the first time around.

I really, honestly can't express enough how great it is to see somebody recognizing this obvious (or so you would think) point. People love to complain about how horrible this will be but in the end, who cares? Even if we assume the worst, so what if Hollywood wants to make a shitty adaptation. We can all continue to enjoy the original series we fell in love with in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10