• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where do you obtain your fix?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
So in a effort to get us down here talking a little more, I'm going to fire up a classic question.

Where do you get your anime at the moment?

DVD or Bluray, streaming or torrent, borrowed from a mate or watching a capture stream. Anything goes, just don't link directly to illegal sources ;>.>

Personally? Streaming and DVD's when on sale, but I'm damn picky before a title hits my collection.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mostly streaming, I watch a portion of new shows, I do have my collection though, when I see something I want (and not at a too high price) I buy it, mostly stuff I have already watched, but the odd show I have not. I JB-HI-FI recently had some good deals so I bought Excel Saga which I had not seen all of, in hidnsight I probably should have got more, but there are a couple I am waiting for, and with Fairy Tail's releases looking to be rather expensive for every couple months, and a Madoka collection to complete.
Kirben

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm still watching mainly by Blu-Ray and DVD, usually only getting Blu-Ray for movies. I have watched a few anime series via Crunchyroll, but I don't have much luck with streaming (too unreliable, especially at 720p/1080p).

Lately I'm going to the dark side (fansubs) more, since I struggle to find any licensed titles I'm interested in buying. Especially since I never have much of a backlog to watch, while waiting for new releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
Streaming, mostly via Crunchyroll and the Madman Screening Room. I also download or watch via streaming fansubs if no other option is available. I collect those DVDs that I rate as excellent or better as per "My Anime" and sometimes those I rate as very good. Some of those DVDs have to imported from OS but most I buy from JB Hi-Fi or order directly from Madman Entertainment or Siren Visual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Kirben wrote:
I'm still watching mainly by Blu-Ray and DVD, usually only getting Blu-Ray for movies.

So what Blu-Ray movies have you been picking up?

errinundra wrote:
I collect those DVDs that I rate as excellent or better as per "My Anime" and sometimes those I rate as very good.

So what you're saying is that you operate under the "If I like it, I buy It" principal?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
...So what you're saying is that you operate under the "If I like it, I buy It" principal?

Exactly. One of the great things about the growth of legal streaming is that I no longer have to buy things blindly. I like to own the shows I like so it's a good development.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
DVDs, mostly bought new, but with a good number of second-hand too.
I used to borrow a lot of things through Netflix, and then buy what I really liked, but I generally feel now that I know what I want --- either because of certain people involved, or thanks to reviews. Maybe I'll graduate to another stage where I'm more circumspect about my purchases again!
If our internet connexion were less shoddy, I would probably try to watch more online...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
A rather odd thing about internet streaming is that I used to be able to easilly watch most videos as they loaded, but for some reason they really slowed down, I really have to leave a video loading. I bet my internet suplier changed the speed somehow. Why I want that supposed national high speed thing to come into effect here.
Kirben

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
Kirben wrote:
I'm still watching mainly by Blu-Ray and DVD, usually only getting Blu-Ray for movies.

So what Blu-Ray movies have you been picking up??

The last few Blu-Rays I bought were .hack//Quantum (disappointing), Broken Blade (bland), First Squad (terrible), and Redline (all style, no substance).

Most of the Blu-Rays in my collection are upgrades from DVD releases, like Patlabor 1/2 movies, and Studio Ghibli movies.

I prefer series, rather than movies though. As animated movies are often too short to develop characters and tell a good story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Exactly. One of the great things about the growth of legal streaming is that I no longer have to buy things blindly. I like to own the shows I like so it's a good development.

Good to hear it! I do wonder if there would be some way to promote the idea to the anime community and if it would help drive conversions.

Kirben wrote:
The last few Blu-Rays I bought were .hack//Quantum (disappointing), Broken Blade (bland), First Squad (terrible), and Redline (all style, no substance).

So what is influencing your decisions? It seems that you have made several bad calls in a row, what makes you grab that title off the shelf?

ailblentyn wrote:
If our internet connexion were less shoddy, I would probably try to watch more online...

DuskyPredator wrote:
A rather odd thing about internet streaming is that I used to be able to easilly watch most videos as they loaded, but for some reason they really slowed down, I really have to leave a video loading. I bet my internet suplier changed the speed somehow. Why I want that supposed national high speed thing to come into effect here.

I'm kind of curious what kind of speeds people are getting atm, I've created a speed wave here for testing, feel free to weigh in: http://www.speedtest.net/wave/2e4f35989db8d5e0
Kirben

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:57 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
Kirben wrote:

So what is influencing your decisions? It seems that you have made several bad calls in a row, what makes you grab that title off the shelf?

I use sample episodes (if available to Australia), trailers, clips and reviews to decide, but I have terrible success rate (maybe 25%) for blind buying of anime. I tend to look for anime in areas (kids series, fantasy, mystery, sci-fi, thriller) I usually enjoy, but I'm always looking for something different or unique I might like too.

There aren't many new movies (and OVAs) released, compared to series, so I tend to buy anything I have the slightest interest in.

I buy anime online from overseas, and rarely locally or via shops (unless exclusive to Australia).

sonictail wrote:
I'm kind of curious what kind of speeds people are getting atm, I've created a speed wave here for testing, feel free to weigh in: http://www.speedtest.net/wave/2e4f35989db8d5e0

I added my results (#529774758) from Optus Cable, I get high speeds, but the speed is inconsistent and not reliable. Getting pauses, stutters and episode cut off short, at random times on Crunchyroll for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1