• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Walk This World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarm

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'll never understand some fans' adoration for the Neptunia games. I adore RPGs, and I've suffered through some pretty bad gameplay in my time to get through a good story, but playing the first game in that series felt like my skull was being crushed. The gameplay is broken, the music was terrible, the story was paper-thin.... the whole thing really seemed like an excuse to pander to the lowest common denominator of otaku by throwing in inane references, cutesy moe tropes, and a plethora of brain-numbing fan service.
Yeah, pretty much. There's two ways to look at games. You can either say "I don't want games that have broken parts," or you can say "I want games that have parts I like, and I'm willing to tolerate broken parts to get to them." For whatever reason, it feels like Japanese gamemakers tend to target the second group, while American gamemakers target the first one.

People need to take into account, Japanese developers like Compile Heart are pretty small and don't start off with large budgets like big name companies. All It seems to me is that SEGA, NIS and Gust was just put there name on it and not give much else. They basically just recycled the same gameplay they used for Trinity Universe and added their own story and characters. To make up for the gameplay flaws they had to make everything else attractive to get people just to pick up the game.That's why the game looks like a low-bugdet gamble to me. Lucky for them, the gamble paid off.

I don't expect indie or small game companies to produce qualtiy products right off the bad because of their small budgets.But if I like some aspects of their games and think it can be better, I'll support them so they'll get bigger budgets and make better games. As demonstrated in the difference between Atelier Rorona and subsequent games, HDN and HDN MK2 and the Tales game remakes.

Chagen46 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Are you making fun of America's wierd lenience towards violence but pathological phobia of sexual themes?

It will be a year before it's fully translated and released for retail at gamestop/online by then you can buy it legally since M games are for 17+ not eighteen bro.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Sweet. Anytime I can hear Laura Bailey (Neptune) and Christina Vee (Compa...wait, is she even in this game?) is a good time. Plus the gameplay has supposedly gotten a lot better fromthe first.

Neptune's VA is Melissa Fahn. Compa has not been confirmed and seems it unlikely, but they have not revealed any of the company characters yet, so I wish you luck.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Promps for Sega to translate Monster World IV. I welcome more companies to go back and translate their oldies, especially 2D.

*stifles chuckle*

Uh... anyway, yes, thanks for the Monsterland/world collection. Bought it and loved it to bits. I wonder if I can hope for a pack with some of the other Wonderboy games. (Like Dragon's Trap, which I've barely even tried... on an emulator a long time ago.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Metroid x Star Fox: It does indeed sound like a fan fiction to me too, but it might open some interesting interaction. After all, despite Fox has had exposure to humans via the Smash Bros. series, those weren't canon obviously. I'm sure Samus will easily think of the animaloids as aliens, but the Star Fox crew's opinion of the solo bounty hunter might be the real hook. This does sound like a neat crossover, because hey, there are never enough crossovers, right? XD

E.X. Troopers: But Lost Planet's art style was more western right? This is more anime style.

Soul Sacrifice: Just ugh man. D:

Neptunia V: Honestly, I've already given my final verdict on Neptunia in general. It's just way too stupid to me, no matter what tricks they pull. I drew the line at Ar tonelico Qoga anyway. Breaking the fourth wall and referencing real life stuff gets tiresome and unfunny when you do it too much.

Monster World IV: I will agree with you on this one Todd. I downloaded it only a few days ago and it's great fun. I'm nearly done with the game, but the romp through these levels (and the deliciously Middle Eastern-inspired music) has been a real zinger. Oddly I downloaded Dragon's Curse (that title has too many name variations) a couple years ago and I have yet to finish it. Monster World games really are charming and I want to try them all. :)

Atelier Meruru: I refuse to call it Meruru. I can't believe they say her name like that in the game's English dub. I thought it would be Meryl, and that Meruru was just the Japanese way of pronouncing her name over there. Anyway, my ire over the name aside, the Atelier series is getting further ahead and I'm still stuck on Rorona (incidentally, I never finished the first Iris game either). Seems the first game in these trilogies is the one I can't seem to complete efficiently while games II and III are never a problem to finish. Maybe it's because the first game is usually the most primitive and barebones in its aspects compared to its successors.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Neptune's VA is Melissa Fahn. Compa has not been confirmed and seems it unlikely, but they have not revealed any of the company characters yet, so I wish you luck.

Huh? I swear Neptune was voiced by Laura Bailey in the first game /$3 sounded EXACTLY like Raspberyl and Cheria. Did they change the actors or something?

Damn, no Bailey loli-voice makes me sad.
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I refuse to call it Meruru. I can't believe they say her name like that in the game's English dub. I thought it would be Meryl, and that Meruru was just the Japanese way of pronouncing her name over there.

I too hoped that they would change her name to Meryl. I liked the dub of the first to games but I am not looking forward to the english VAs saying Merrrrurrrru.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
EX Troopers looks really cool. Capcom better bring this Statesside.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mee Deggi The Punisher wrote:
Quote:
I refuse to call it Meruru. I can't believe they say her name like that in the game's English dub. I thought it would be Meryl, and that Meruru was just the Japanese way of pronouncing her name over there.

I too hoped that they would change her name to Meryl. I liked the dub of the first to games but I am not looking forward to the english VAs saying Merrrrurrrru.

Chances are her real name is more...plausible, and "Meruru" is just a shortend nickname that Rorona stuck her with, since that's something she likes to do with almost every character ("Gio....Gio...wait, I can't do anything with it, it's already pretty short!")

Edit: Okay, scratch that. Apparently her full name is actually "Merurulince Rede Arls" Laughing
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Huh? I swear Neptune was voiced by Laura Bailey in the first game /$3 sounded EXACTLY like Raspberyl and Cheria. Did they change the actors or something?

Damn, no Bailey loli-voice makes me sad.

Did you mean NISA for $3? Since yes, that is Melissa Ruff. They got her to voice NISA since she also voices NIS most popular character, Etna.

belvadeer wrote:
Atelier Meruru: I refuse to call it Meruru. I can't believe they say her name like that in the game's English dub. I thought it would be Meryl, and that Meruru was just the Japanese way of pronouncing her name over there. Anyway, my ire over the name aside, the Atelier series is getting further ahead and I'm still stuck on Rorona (incidentally, I never finished the first Iris game either). Seems the first game in these trilogies is the one I can't seem to complete efficiently while games II and III are never a problem to finish. Maybe it's because the first game is usually the most primitive and barebones in its aspects compared to its successors.

Thats why you don't play games like that in an English dub. Personally, I play any anime esque game (that gives the option) with subtitles since it just "Fits" better. Cute girls shouldn't be sounding like 40 year olds trying to sound young.

Plus, they remove like half the voiced dialogue since the original version is fully voiced for everything, but the dub doesn't have the budget to do that.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Atelier Meruru, I think they didn't change it because it goes with the other names, Rorona and Totori. All three names have in common is repeating one Japanese syllable(Ro for Rorona, To for Totori, Ru for Meruru). Can be jarring, but fits tradition.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Concerning Atelier Meruru, I think they didn't change it because it goes with the other names, Rorona and Totori. All three names have in common is repeating one Japanese syllable(Ro for Rorona, To for Totori, Ru for Meruru). Can be jarring, but fits tradition.

Plus, consider the fanbase... its hardcore Japanophiles. Changing a characters name (or hell the entire games name) would never fly with those people.
anime racket

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they announce the next monolith soft game for the
wii u at e3. I am dying to hear more about it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Thats why you don't play games like that in an English dub. Personally, I play any anime esque game (that gives the option) with subtitles since it just "Fits" better. Cute girls shouldn't be sounding like 40 year olds trying to sound young.

Plus, they remove like half the voiced dialogue since the original version is fully voiced for everything, but the dub doesn't have the budget to do that.

That's not quite correct, Ryan. The English dub is fine and I play all dual audio games in English first, then Japanese second (the dub always comes first). It's the naming scheme that irritates me if they're trying to actually say it like it was some cutesy way of speaking in Japanese. Me-ru-ru is going to sound very stupid coming out of U.S. actors' mouths (maybe if they said Me-lu, I'd be less inclined to complain). Plus, they're not "40 year olds trying to sound young".

And yeah, I know all that. I am inclined to agree with you about those hardcore pinheads though. They'll raise torches if their "precious perfect weeaboo anime game world" was suddenly ruined like that. Lol, I have to stop looking at that article. XD
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'll never understand some fans' adoration for the Neptunia games. I adore RPGs, and I've suffered through some pretty bad gameplay in my time to get through a good story, but playing the first game in that series felt like my skull was being crushed. The gameplay is broken, the music was terrible, the story was paper-thin.... the whole thing really seemed like an excuse to pander to the lowest common denominator of otaku by throwing in inane references, cutesy moe tropes, and a plethora of brain-numbing fan service. But hey, it gives money to NIS so they can bring over some games that I like, so more power to the fans. ;D

That's why we keep getting broken games, especially games based on movies. Because people would buy 'em just for their favorite characters - screw the game! And game-makers know it too. Laughing

belvadeer wrote:

And yeah, I know all that. I am inclined to agree with you about those hardcore pinheads though. They'll raise torches if their "precious perfect weeaboo anime game world" was suddenly ruined like that. Lol, I have to stop looking at that article. Anime hyper

Aerisu!!! Laughing
Jarm

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'll never understand some fans' adoration for the Neptunia games. I adore RPGs, and I've suffered through some pretty bad gameplay in my time to get through a good story, but playing the first game in that series felt like my skull was being crushed. The gameplay is broken, the music was terrible, the story was paper-thin.... the whole thing really seemed like an excuse to pander to the lowest common denominator of otaku by throwing in inane references, cutesy moe tropes, and a plethora of brain-numbing fan service. But hey, it gives money to NIS so they can bring over some games that I like, so more power to the fans. ;D

That's why we keep getting broken games, especially games based on movies. Because people would buy 'em just for their favorite characters - screw the game! And game-makers know it too. Laughing

belvadeer wrote:

And yeah, I know all that. I am inclined to agree with you about those hardcore pinheads though. They'll raise torches if their "precious perfect weeaboo anime game world" was suddenly ruined like that. Lol, I have to stop looking at that article. Anime hyper

Aerisu!!! Laughing

They only played the 1st game while the second game is vastly improved. CH didn't just pocket the money and rehash stuff with minor changes or improvements- they did a major overhaul.

I do like the characters and the whole concept behind the games despite the first game's lackluster gameplay so I want the games to get better.

I think this is a better route then just following you and let the market destroy Neptunia, allowing me to never be able play games like this again. V:
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Whom, exactly, are you quoting here?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3