• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Kids Station Cancels Its Hetalia Anime Run

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
It's not like living in the US is a bowl of cherries either. Just about every ethnic group that resides in the US including Native Americans got kicked in the a**, oppressed, blah blah blah.

South Korea needs to collectively move on.

South Koreans should not have had an effect on what is airing in Japan or in any other country but South Korea.
FiliKlepto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
@hikaru004: Keep in mind that South Korea, the nation, had nothing to do with it. As a previous poster stated, the majority of Koreans have better things to do than get Hetalia pulled off the air and could care less about it. This was the doing of a vocal minority and a TV station that bent to criticism, so no need to go blaming a whole country for it.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Doctor Worm wrote:
Back to Hetalia am I wrong in thinking this was going to be the first internet manga to get an anime on Japanese TV? Man, going from a comic on a freaking Geocities site of all places to getting an anime done by Studio Deen.. can you even imagine? Wow.

Yes.

There was the Tonari no 801-chan webcomic, which got 2 manga, drama CD and a live-action drama adaption. There was going to be an anime by KyoAni, but it got canceled for inexplicit reasons... (what is with this trend?!! Evil or Very Mad ).

Not to mention, the Train Man series which was originally just a online 2ch conversation, but was adapted into a novel, 2 manga spin-offs, live action drama and film.
domino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
FiliKlepto wrote:
@hikaru004: Keep in mind that South Korea, the nation, had nothing to do with it. As a previous poster stated, the majority of Koreans have better things to do than get Hetalia pulled off the air and could care less about it. This was the doing of a vocal minority and a TV station that bent to criticism, so no need to go blaming a whole country for it.

It looks like the Korean government is in on the complaints, too, if this video is right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_btds9-kM

According to the above (or at least the description -- I don't speak a word of Korean), the South Korean congress is calling Hetalia a criminal act.

Then there's this Korean news report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-IJtWg8Zc

... where much of the evidence they cite seems to be fanart. Some of the fanart isn't even Japanese (I'm certain one of those fanarts is from a fan on the hetalia livejournal site). The whole issue is a mess. I hope this passes soon...
miria

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to them, not only am I still going to watch the anime once it's available, I'll also go buy the manga and especially pay attention to how it portrays Korea Very Happy
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
FiliKlepto wrote:

It looks like the Korean government is in on the complaints, too, if this video is right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_btds9-kM

According to the above (or at least the description -- I don't speak a word of Korean), the South Korean congress is calling Hetalia a criminal act.

Then there's this Korean news report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-IJtWg8Zc

... where much of the evidence they cite seems to be fanart. Some of the fanart isn't even Japanese (I'm certain one of those fanarts is from a fan on the hetalia livejournal site). The whole issue is a mess. I hope this passes soon...

Yeah, the second link seems to have used LJ fanart as 'evidence:'
(the second last drawing) http://community.livejournal.com/hetalia/416321.html?
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
That said, I have always been amazed at the hatred of the Asians I know toward Japan, like they can never, ever, ever, ever forgive what was done.

you live in the U.S., right? pretty much things have been going smoothly for a very long time over there. it's not the same thing, and you don't have the same landscape when you live in a third-world country which most of the countries in Asia are. you never really suffered over the years and that's why you found it strange and amazed in fact over something you have never felt. in the last few wars, you never really suffered too, but these nations and its people who have have been invaded, raped, conquered, massacred, tortured. so yeah, i'm pretty sure there's a stark difference over there that's hard for you to see and understand because you were never truly a victim.

that aside, things are different when you are the victim. they're a lot harder to convince because they've been the ones who have felt the pain and brutal suffering. i don't think anyone can really argue against tragic and traumatic experiences, no? all you can do if you were the one who offended them is to constantly try to make it up to them by being on your best behavior and hope for some forgiveness. you're the sinner here, beggars for forgiveness can't be choosers. so with something like this Hetalia controversy happening, this slight lapse on "good behavior" gives the victims like Korea the excuse and the exclusive legitimate right to complain just because they were a victim of Japan.

and the very sensitive and dangerous part here is, here they are openly making parodies and making fun of the 2nd World War when they haven't even really acknowledged the atrocities they've inflicted during the war yet. so i'm not really surprised why there are people up in arms about a very obvious WW2-ish parody as Hetalia.

also wrote:
It seems so counter-productive to continued existence. You hate Japan because of stuff done by dead people, so if they discovered the cure for cancer, you should refuse to use it because they're a nation you hate with every fiber of your being?

there are still WW2 survivors and veterans around, mind you. anyway there's also this thing called 'acknowledgment' that should easily serve as a cure all or at least make affected people a little less disgruntled. however, it has to be a very meaningful one and Japan hasn't really been doing that yet.
Milk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
I don't want to talk about any political or historical issue here but I don't know why Korean government doesn't let their people know about this? I'm getting tired of their saying that Japan has never apologized.

Treaty on Basic Relations between Japan and the Republic of Korea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_Basic_Relations_between_Japan_and_the_Republic_of_Korea
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
England wasn't selling us off to slavery before that either, but in fact just trying to maintain a status quo.

Two words: Middle Passage.

Dernhelm wrote:
you live in the U.S., right? pretty much things have been going smoothly for a very long time over there. it's not the same thing, and you don't have the same landscape when you live in a third-world country which most of the countries in Asia are. you never really suffered over the years and that's why you found it strange and amazed in fact over something you have never felt. in the last few wars, you never really suffered too, but these nations and its people who have have been invaded, raped, conquered, massacred, tortured. so yeah, i'm pretty sure there's a stark difference over there that's hard for you to see and understand because you were never truly a victim....

Segregation Era and Civil Rights Movement in America. Check it out. US has FAR from being smoothly "for a long time". We still have racial tensions to this day, not as bad as say 20 or so years ago. African-Americans had an apology but no reparations. True, a good number of them are wary of white people to the point they're actually racist against them, but a good number learned that holding past grudges doesn't solve anything. I can go and complain about white people, but it ain't helping me none, my friend. While no one doubts that the Koreans suffered, they have to learn that past grudge only bring more pain. Hell, WW2 wouldn't even have started if the Germans weren't so pissed that they have to pay severe retribution for WW1 to the point they foolishly got Hitler into power.

Milk wrote:
I don't want to talk about any political or historical issue here but I don't know why Korean government doesn't let their people know about this? I'm getting tired of their saying that Japan has never apologized.

Treaty on Basic Relations between Japan and the Republic of Korea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_Basic_Relations_between_Japan_and_the_Republic_of_Korea

I find that pretty interesting when I read that the first time around. Now the SK government is real corrupt to keep something like that from their people. And I heard this current government is pretty corrupt too.
mimipon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
shimiyaki, Please don't be so harsh it won't do any good for both sides. I know Japanese otakus are so furious about this incident and want to blame Koreans but you shouldn't have said the words it will make things even nastier to nowhere. It's not all Korean's fault.

Also I want Korean otakus not to bring the historical subject every time when they want to blame Japan. I see this tendency often all over in Anime communities and it only triggers the flame war.

I also heard a rumor that the ANIMATE broadcasting Hetalia on the web might include the Korean character due to the claim from the Korean side that if they don't include the character of Korea it is a racist act. Then now it's more complicated and it made Japanese otakus even more furious and against it. Since Hetalia's anime was canceled from the kids station because of the Korean's protest, they think they don't want their anime to take any risk any more. I don't know what to say about this but let's see what's gonna happen.

Last edited by mimipon on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:
pparker wrote:
England wasn't selling us off to slavery before that either, but in fact just trying to maintain a status quo.

Two words: Middle Passage.

Sorry. I wasn't thinking in those terms, but you are correct for that section of the U.S. and pre-U.S. population.

And yes, though all peoples have committed atrocities against others throughout history, caucasians have done more than their fair share. Being one, I have no ground to stand upon in really even discussing those actions as there is no justification. I can only hope that the planet can continue making progress toward lessening the hatred between all races and refusing to consider race a consideration in human value. Now, if we can just make some progress on religion...

The reference regarding Japan's reparations is good for this debate. None of the references I've seen even mention it, which is interesting in itself. I've read several, and this is the first time I've even heard of this. What normally gets reported is some government official visiting a war hero's grave, and how that means Japan is honoring its fascist past while ignoring its negative actions in history.

Regardless of the amount of damage done in the past, there has to be some point where the past is put to rest, for the benefit of the victims' descendants even more than for the descendants of the perpetrators. Determining that point is the tricky part. It is entirely possible to ruin the present and the future for literally thousands of years based on long past events, as we see in the Middle East today.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It's not like living in the US is a bowl of cherries either. Just about every ethnic group that resides in the US including Native Americans got kicked in the a**, oppressed, blah blah blah.

South Korea needs to collectively move on.

South Koreans should not have had an effect on what is airing in Japan or in any other country but South Korea.

That's an incredibly ignorant way to put it when South Korea is still the leading anime-collaborator in the world by actually making the actual animations themselves and there's a HUGE anime following there.

On top of that, the ethnic rivalry is still ongoing. It's not like some "Native American" issue a hundred or two hundred years back. The ethnic rivalry has been there for a thousand years and there's LIVING SURVIVORS of WW2 still living today. You can't compare the two.

That said, I think most people have moved on, though there's still tensions. Japanese TV removing programs is a worse indicator for the hypersensitive Japanese culture nowadays. While I seriously doubt there is some sort of a national front in SK about this issue at all. 16,000 signatures? I wonder at the validity of that report.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:
Segregation Era and Civil Rights Movement in America. Check it out. US has FAR from being smoothly "for a long time". We still have racial tensions to this day, not as bad as say 20 or so years ago.

oh please. can you really compare a city or a town of a first-world country to the slums or villages filled with hunger, disease, death, poverty and chaos of its third-world counterpart?

just saying that you can't hit me back with that argument.

pparker wrote:
I can only hope that the planet can continue making progress toward lessening the hatred between all races and refusing to consider race a consideration in human value.

less hatred needs less use of force. unfortunately the various powers on both sides of the Gaza incident think force is still necessary. makes you think that after all humanity has been through, people would learn a little of its effects. but noooooooooo. it is extremely hard to pursue such an idealistic goal if both sides are stubborn. and so, the evil cycle continues. you can't stop kids who got hurt or who got their parents or loved ones killed from being vengeful.

also wrote:
Regardless of the amount of damage done in the past, there has to be some point where the past is put to rest, for the benefit of the victims' descendants even more than for the descendants of the perpetrators. Determining that point is the tricky part. It is entirely possible to ruin the present and the future for literally thousands of years based on long past events, as we see in the Middle East today.

like i said, it's very easy for us to say, but extremely hard to do and put into action. i would even go so far to ask, what are you doing about this issue right now. are you actually doing something to help put a stop to this endless cycle? something of real meaning and significance? to realize this dream of people 'just letting go'?
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
...like i said, it's very easy for us to say, but extremely hard to do and put into action. i would even go so far to ask, what are you doing about this issue right now. are you actually doing something to help put a stop to this endless cycle? something of real meaning and significance? to realize this dream of people 'just letting go'?

Well, this is not a socio-political discussion board, but just to answer, I try to be aware of situations where it's even remotely possible for racial tensions to be initiated and make damn sure that I act appropriately toward all concerned.

Now, you might not consider it much, considering that I mean in the context of my daily, fairly easy life in the United States. But it's just as I responded to ArielTsuki, because once again I stumbled upon a missing component in my own sensitivity to that issue. I am older and being brought up in the South there are certain attitudes that one absorbs as a child (although my school was fully-integrated with three separate races). My family was not racist per se, probably because they were very religious, but they certainly lacked the level of sensitivity to race issues that is normal and expected today. They behaved according to cultural influences they were not even consciously aware of, and some of those were transmitted to me. Just by knowing that those attitudes exist, I try to consciously change them.

Otherwise, I try to never, ever allow my decisions or actions to be affected by race. I mean both positive and negative, because I have discovered that in a business context nearly all people want to be treated equally. I observe that whether a manager, for instance, is praising or correcting work done or making assignments or promotions, if they strive to be as absolute as possible in deciding based on merit and no other factor, racial attitudes disappear. I've seen suspicion turn to trust on that basis alone. The employee knows that the praise is sincere, or that if they are told to improve, then it's because they really need to do so. Being judged and treated as an equal can have tremendous ramifications for the person's productivity and future career, and can alter attitudes.

Each time somebody realizes they can trust someone of another race, some little bit of improvement is made. Not everyone can or will be involved directly in trying to solve race or other problems of conflict through large scale projects. I applaud those able to work directly on it, and I hope to at least not add to the problem while occasionally being able to affect some improvement.

Wow... this is about anime, how? Smile
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
ArielTsuki wrote:
Segregation Era and Civil Rights Movement in America. Check it out. US has FAR from being smoothly "for a long time". We still have racial tensions to this day, not as bad as say 20 or so years ago.

oh please. can you really compare a city or a town of a first-world country to the slums or villages filled with hunger, disease, death, poverty and chaos of its third-world counterpart?

just saying that you can't hit me back with that argument.

If you think that Black people back then had it good in the South, I think you need to read up some history. Hell, when my late great grandma was still around, the stories she would tell you were horrifying. Living in the shack, struggling to get by, winters were there was no heat. My grandmother, whereas she was living in a small house, was poor was well, to the point that the only way my great-grandmother had to relies on some whites to provide her secondhand clothes.

Back then, if you were Black, you were not treated as a human being basically. Hell, if you say the wrong thing to a white person, it could get you a noose around your neck. If you were a Black woman and you were raped, you can't go to the police because they won't care. This is not mentioning that during the slavery era, many White masters would rape their women slaves.

Not to mention some of the South was very underdeveloped due to the repercussions of the Civil War back then.

And the funny thing is that it wasn't a war. I don't know why people think that human cruelty only occur in wartime situations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7