• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why did you choose your first manga in particular?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
The first that I chose myself (not the first manga I've read, cause the ones I read before this were given to me and I didn't make the choice) was Hana-Kimi. I decided that it will be my first manga because I read a lot of good things about it, and when I decided to REALLY start reading manga, I thought to myself that I should stick to the genre that I like in anime, which is shoujo. I also figured that if it's shoujo, it wouldn't be that difficult to read (compared to shounen/seinen manga).

The funny thing is, I started reading Hana-Kimi almost 2 years ago and I still haven't finished it -_-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was Ultra Maniac. I only kind of knew what manga was at the time. I knew what direction you read it in, but I don't think I'd even known it was Japanese. I found it at the book fair in sixth grade, and it wasn't something I would have normally thought would be there. So, it was mostly purchased out of curiosity. Also, at the time, anything that had even a remotely magical twist to it seemed interesting, and there was talk of a witch on the back cover. The others were all romance, which is why I chose that series specifically. It's something I like rereading now, because my perspective has increased somewhat since then.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
My first manga title was Love Hina. I selected that one in particular, because I had learned that the anime (which I had seen before) was considerably different than the manga, and that many people preferred the manga to the anime. So I tried it out, and was rewarded with a good series. Smile
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Mine has been Tokyo Babylon. At the time I didn't know much about manga (well, I still feel this, but anyway), but I just watched the X/1999 series and I badly wanted to know how the story in the manga went. Since Subaru had been one of my favourite characters, I thought of reading before this series and then continue with the X series. In the end luck played a major part since I had the luck of finding the manga very easy and this is how it has become my first manga. This made me read most of Clamp's creations and here I am now, completely addicted to manga.
swordmaster56

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
My first Manga hab been Naruto and I chose it because I had seen the Anime before. Rolling Eyes
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
My first manga I got was Naruto back in the day. The Shonen jump magazine just came out in english and my friend got me reading it and i thought naruto was the most intersting manga in Shonen Jump so i went out and bought the first two volumes and fell in love with it. I've bought every volume since then and it's still my favorite manga/anime after Dragonballz. I know, I know it's dragonballz but it's what got me into anime and I still love it. Plus I'm the only one I know out of multiple people who even have the first printing of the first two volumes of naruto manga Very Happy. you know before they started to tone down the language a little bit, which doesn't make a big difference to me but it makes me feel better knowing I was the one of the first people who fell in love with naruto way before it became as popular as it's become and has those volumes the way they are, unlike 99% of the people who have bought the naruto manga since cause you know they are up to the 19th printing of the first volume of naruto. Sorry about the little rant at the end but that's why I picked naruto as my first manga in particular and I haven't looked back since.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
My first was Initial D. I chose it simply because I like cars and racing.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I chose Caravan Kidd because it was one of the very first manga released in the U.S. so there was not much else to choose from. I happened to catch this title while on vacation in Boston back around 1992. It caught my eye because of the cute, redheaded main character with a tail.

The mangaka is none other than Johji Manabe, known better for The Outlanders OAV.
heza san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
The first manga I read was from the library it was Ranma 1/2, I chose it because it was one of the few titles available at the time.

The first I bought was Card Captor Sakura, because I had been watching Cardcaptors on TV and loved it.
Monumension

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Why start with Akira? Well, back in the ancient time of 2002 manga was something few people cared about in Norway. The interest was limited to a handfull of nerds (Who else would read this, hmph!?) and there were few titles to choose between. Then Dark Horse released Akira and got press coverage in some of the country's biggest lifestyle mags. I'd been interested in the story since one of my theacers had praised the Akira anime so I decided to give the manga a try.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
My first manga that I actually chose to read myself would be One Piece. This was after I saw part of the anime. I then started watching the anime more and after liking it a lot, decided that I would go look for the manga. And I'm glad I did, because now I have all 52 volumes that are currently out, plus the Red, Blue, and Yellow guide books.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
My first series was Chobits, too. I chose it because it was the series a friend of mine was reading at the time and he told me to check it out. I had flipped through his volume at school and later decided to pick it up. When I went to the bookstore it was pretty much the only series they had more than one volume of anyway, so I picked up two volumes at once. Went back the next day for the third, and the rest is history. I've been addicted to manga (and still a huge CLAMP fan) since.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
megaflyman wrote:
I got my first manga at my grad school book fair. .

I really, really hope you mean 'grade school'

My first manga was Gundam 0079 and Pheonix: a Tale of the Future.. I was interested in Gundam because G Gundam had just started airing on Toonami. God, those books were utter crap. Still, I enjoyed them at the time and I still have them. At the age of 12, Phoenix blew my mind.
After that, i started reading the Dragonball manga. I thought it was based on the anime. Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
megaflyman wrote:
I got my first manga at my grad school book fair. .

I really, really hope you mean 'grade school'

Why? Believe it or not there are actually a lot of older manga fans out there, some of whom didn't get into it until later in life.
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
My first series (if i remember correctly) was Berserk. At the time, i was solely an anime fan although my reading habits were heavily based on dark fantasy (song of ice and fire, the dark towers, series of unfortunate events) and i was looking for a good ice breaker. was not disappointed in the least Very Happy

since then have moved onto Hellsing, FMA, ganstu etc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7