• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why did you choose your first manga in particular?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faceman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
My first one was Ranma 1/2, I think. I started watching Ranma anime in college, and eventually finished the whole series. Though I found it repetitive, I heard the manga had more story to it that the anime lacked. So I started picking up the manga, back in 2003 or so. 36 volumes and 5 years later I finally completed buying the whole series, but I've picked up other ones now. A lot of them I get for the same reason; the manga has things the anime lacks - Love Hina, Kare Kano, Genshiken, Gunsmith Kats, etc. I still prefer manga, I think, as usually it feel more complete than the anime versions, and it's a lot easier to find time to read a volume than to watch an entire disc of an anime.
Renton7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I had read GANTZ for the addictive storyline for a while, a long time ago, before it got too jumbled up with the vampires and everything.

The next one was Ranma ½, just to confirm the original romantic moments between Ranma & Akane after I burned through the entire anime a couple days ago, and I love it. It's my all-time favorite now.

Trying to send Rumiko Takahashi some fan mail to pester her into continuing the series somehow Razz

Plan on checking out Claymore next, for the awesome world-setting and grim storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Crisco Disco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Naruto

I know, it seems shameful, but I started reading it years and years ago, before anyone knew what it was and before that bastardization of an anime started airing. Now just the name of the series leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Planeswalker_Estella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Two answers.

Way back in the day (before Toonami), I read Pokemon. But I only got it because it was Pokemon and I didn't know what manga was then.

The second answer is what actaully got me into comics, and directly the polar opposite of my first taste of manga, and it was Akira. It was actually just about a year ago when I started reading it after just getting into anime two months before. I had seen the movie twice in less then a month (because I loved it so much). It was more out of curiosity that I read it, in which I bought the first two volumes on a completel whim. Luckily, I found the rest of it at my local library. It completly dropped my jaw in how good it was. After that, I started YKK and FMA. After two volumes of FMA, I dropped it because it simply didn't compare to the other two. I also started reading Western comics after Akira too starting with Watchmen and Frank Miller's Dark Knight series. So, I started with extremely high standards and continue to.
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I started with Outlanders vol. 1 (soon followed by Akira and Caravan Kidd) from Johji Manabe back in 1990 because the art and facial expressions of the heroines reminded me strongly of the cute character designs of shows like Urusei Yatsura or Dirty Pair, which I followed arduously as an early teen, and because it was one of the very few manga which were available back then in Switzerland.

The same goes for Akira which was the first translated manga in german ever, afaik. I found the first color volume in a small kiosk in a remote tourist location. It was placed among other comics like the popular Clever & Smart series by F.Ibanez. As I looked into Akira, the art felt fresh, exciting and yet somehow familiar. Even though the art is pretty realistic and miles away from classic/cute anime designs, I recognized something anime-like in the facial expression of the characters, the way how they showed strong emotion or the many speedlines, all this reminded me of those cartoons from somewhere from the far east I just happened to love.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pirara96

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was Elemental Gelade.

My BF had started reading it and was totally in love with it. She was a major otaku and still is and she told me I absolutely had to read it, so she lent me a copy. I read it and also fell in love with it. I watched all the anime episodes and still buy the books. Since then I can't sem to live without anime/manga. I have like a hundred and fifty manga books and have watched a minimum of that many anime series.
Helga89

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Ma first manga was Skip Beat! Why? Because I started watching the anime n it was sooo interesting that I was really curious whats gonna be next! after this one I became a MangaManiac^^

[Moderator notice: Again, no scanlations, no fake signatures. All "signatures" will be reported and instantly removed by the moderation team. Thanks. ~C]
TheSparLynx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I first picked up 6 books when Manga was first being released into Chapters (years years ago)

1) Cowboy Beebop
2) Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
3) Love Hina
4) Chobits
5) Ragnarok
6) Rave Master

Simply because they were the only ones available and I've never read Manga before.
jalee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
I didn't really choose mine. When I was in elementary school my cousin gave me the first volume of Chobits, said it was a good read, and left it at that. I was shocked that there were drawings of naked people (my elementary school brain could barely handle it) but once I got over that I decided I liked manga and I liked Chobits, and... there we go. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
aaronsnell89

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
My first manga were Shaman King and Rave Master because, of the story and the cover art was cool. I've never taken the time to finish the series but I plan on it!
yowanda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon, because I was totally into Sailor Moon, and needed to own anything with Sailor Moon on it. Also it redeemed SuperS for me. Much better in the manga. It is still at the top of my bookshelf, and I even have quite a bit of it in Japanese too
wicked86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
My first was Love Hina. I'm a sap for love stories. I also kinda feel like I relate to the main character in some way. I still consider it one of my favorites....Though the anime could be better.
qollocust

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
My first manga series was Maison Ikkoku which I loved. It is still one of my favorites. I think I chose it because it seemed very slice-of-live and it had the added bonus of being very silly with some romance mixed in.

My only regret is I spent close to 2 years collecting the series back when each volume was $15-$17. As soon as I got the last volume, VIZ decided to re-release the series in the smaller (and cheaper) flipped format more commonly seen nowadays. Oh well.
JrdBnta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was Akira; I happened to see the first volume of its Dark Horse release at a Suncoast in, I want to say, 2003-ish. It looked so cool I forced my parents to buy it for me; ah the good ol' days.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
My first was Chobits. I watched the anime and love it but was extremely sad it ended without showing how Chi and Hedecki dealt with being in love together. I heard the manga was slightly different, especially the ending, so I had to buy it. It's been awhile since I read it, but I remember being happy with how the manga ended a tad more then the anime. I'm now a manga junkie Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7