• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bastard!! halted at Volume 19?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, Bastard!! now seems to be stopped by Viz, as the company's website now lists Volume 19 as the "Final Volume!", even though it's up to Volume 26 or 27 in Japan. It's just made all the more confusing since Volume 20 was listed for a good while and Viz even revealed cover art for that volume! Viz hasn't canceled a manga in years, so hopefully this is just a licensing issue than a straight-out cancelation.

I would go and ask if Jason Thompsonknows anything about what happened to Bastard!!, as he was the editor for it, but I doubt he could even give an answer, even if he knew.

Also, on a similar note, Viz is also doing the same with Kurohime, saying that Volume 14 is the "Final Volume!" when the manga is up to around Volume 17 or so in Japan.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
The same thing happened to Zatch Bell. Volume 25, Final Volume!, despite Viz having Volume 26 listed on retail websites and there being 33 volumes in total in Japan.

They also did it to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

It seems like they have a habit of canceling series and covering their tracks by pretending the latest volume is the "Final Volume!" when it's not.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
The same thing happened to Zatch Bell. Volume 25, Final Volume!, despite Viz having Volume 26 listed on retail websites and there being 33 volumes in total in Japan.

I've read that Zatch Bell was more of an issue of the mangaka apparently gaining the license himself and then taking it away from Shogakukan, therefore taking it away from Viz. Kind of like how Sailor Moon's mangaka now owns the license to Sailor Moon and may or may not be willing to license it out.

Quote:
They also did it to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

What are talking about? Volumes 15's listing on Viz's site doesn't have that at all. Maybe they had it for Volume 10 back when the whole mosque issue came about and halted Viz's release for a year, but Viz has since gone back and is more than likely going to finish the title, but that would indicate that it was more of a licensing issue that Viz wasn't sure they'd be able to come back from, which leads me to...

Quote:
It seems like they have a habit of canceling series and covering their tracks by pretending the latest volume is the "Final Volume!" when it's not.

And yet the only titles that have the early "Final Volume!" right now are Zatch Bell, Kurohime, and Bastard!!... And all of them have had their next volumes scheduled and then removed, which might indicate more of a licensing/rights issue than a straight-out cancelation. Otherwise, Viz is just wasting time and money getting things like cover art and potentially actual work on those volumes done if nothing comes of them.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Jojo's is solicited through Vol.16- which will be the last, but that was always the plan. VIZ announced when they started the series they were only doing that 16 vol storyarc, with more dependent on sales. So, we're getting what we were promised Smile I think Jason [who edits the series] has commented a few different places that 16 is indeed the end.

I imagine Kurohime moving to online-serialization in Japan might of had a part in it's early "final volume", so it could be some sort of rights issue with that.

On top of all that, VIZ is probably rearranging their schedule in light of recent circumstances, though they did say they'd finish all their series. They haven't cancelled any other series, and given the issues with ZatchBell and Kurohime in Japan, I imagine there might be something snagging up Bastard's release.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
It isn't all that surprising, given that Viz is on an economy drive, that they'd decide to axe a title that they've been bringing out for the best part of a decade, has always had low sales and seemingly has no end in sight.

It's not like when Dark Horse cancel short series one or two volumes away from the end - it would hardly be fair to say Viz didn't give Bastard!! a chance.
Don't get me wrong, I'd have preferred they carried on with the series (and a VizBig edition would have been nice to help catch up to where they are now) but I don't expect them to pour money down a hole indefinitely.

Then again, as Paploo says, it may not have been their choice at all - they might simply have lost the rights.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
About Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Volume 16 is listed as the final volume on Amazon and Simon&Schuster. Viz didn't update their site yet.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Considering that everyone everywhere is bleeding money, I don't blame Viz for trying to make sure their profits stay as high as possible by cutting off 'unpopular' fare like Bastard!! or Kurohime.

Of course, we don't really know the situation with Viz, so it could be that, or they just lost the licensing. I feel, however, that they're still quite justified with wanting to cut it for economic reasons. I've never met anyone that read Kurohime, aside from me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
Levitz: I read Kurohime up until the most recent volume, and the series really jumped the shark when they gave Zero a brother.
fortykoubuns

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

I've read that Zatch Bell was more of an issue of the mangaka apparently gaining the license himself and then taking it away from Shogakukan, therefore taking it away from Viz. Kind of like how Sailor Moon's mangaka now owns the license to Sailor Moon and may or may not be willing to license it out.

Do you have a link to that article? I was one of those people disappointed by the fact that Zatch Bell ended with volume 25 and couldn't find any information to why VIZ cancelled Zatch (I just assumed it was poor sales---they never got back to my emails anyway). Maybe I'll get some closure now :[
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, so depressing. I guess it's good that things are not up in the air but I still wish it was being publish even if it meant an even slower publishing schedule. This was one of top selling manga at the comic book store I worked out and interest in the title has seemed to pick up a bit in the last couple of years but I guess I'm not surprised.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KingRyudo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
I dont really know what happened to kurohime on the part of viz. But they did release Kurohime Vol 15 on jan 5.. and it was available for a short of its release. Either they did a short run print or are have licensing issues.. all i can say is i really like this manga alot lol... i hope they continue to publish it other wise i would be pissed. I guess all we can do is see what happens in the future... I know i have all the volumes of kurohime just waiting on 15 on up :/...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1