• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-01-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:23 am Reply with quote
Anime based on American novels:

Daddy Long Legs
Rascal the Racoon
The Yearling
Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn
Little Women

They seem to be more popular in Europe than the U.S., for some reason. Cartoon Network Philippines used to show an English dub of The Yearling with the MGM logo at the end (I think).

My collection's crown jewel is probably Aya Hisakawa's VIVACE (hardcover photobook). Also have her 1998 live double CD (traded some Mariko Kouda CDs with a Seiyuu ML member in the UK).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
My most prized anime item would have to be my Trigun Collector's Editions 1 & 2. They're so cool. I've got that actual tins they came in on my shelf with my Trigun figures. They came with another box as well too though which I keep the actual DVDs in.

Quote:
Almost as terrible as I am at sarcasm.

Aww. I miss Zac...

Wait.

Quote:
“They,” in this case being “Statuo Licentia Orientales Alacritas,” an ancient cabal full of secrets and darkness, call upon the powers of Ba'al beneath the crusts of the earth. Every first Sunday of October, a hooded figure appears under the Masonic ruins of Masonic, California, clutching a bloodied skull and a stone tablet, forged from the sediments from Christ's tomb. This stone tablet contains the names, written in the blood of children, of the shows They have deemed worthy of being licensed.

Nope. Not so much anymore.

Quote:
For reference, here is a picture of myself. Note the sunken eyes and distressing lack of character.

My god you must be one of the most nondescript, generic looking people I've ever seen. Sorry, I don't mean to offend. It's just...as a person who has been known to (amateurishly) draw caricatures of people on occasion , you are the kind of person at which I would usually scream and throw my pencil at.

Quote:
My girlfriend at the time could read and speak Japanese so I begged her to translate as much as possible. The time we spent together was very wonderful. We would have to take things slowly and translate only a few pages at a time.

Am I the only one who found this funny? It's just not exactly the usual thing guys beg their girlfriends to do but they insist they take it slowly...
Tu101uk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
My goodness... My e-mail was actually posted on Hey, Answerfans! XD

Though, compared to the others, like the ones with signed autographs, my entry seems kinda normal... ^_^

*hugs Tenchi Muyo! collection*

As for this week's question, I actually do not have "one" series to show anime novices - I would do it depending on their tastes.

O-O~

PS - Nice pic, Brian. Too bad I can't draw to save my life... T.T Otherwise I'd enter... *sigh*
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
That first question asker obviously never saw Armitage Poly Matrix or played Grandia Xtreme (yes, without the "E") dubbed, two of the worst dubbing jobs perpetrated by B and C list actors. In fact if I were ever to meet Elizabeth Berkeley or Dean Cain on the street I would feel compelled to throw things at them, and while I probably wouldn't actually do that, I would almost certainly embarrass both of us and anyone within earshot by angrily demanding my money back for said products from them.

I can only feel disgusted that extra money was wasted casting these people when they could have gotten better dubs from these "no name" anime VAs, who, you know, actually have a considerable amount of experience with the work of matching lip-flap (and in Grandia I have no idea what happened, since there wasn't any lip flap to be matching...). Being a "name" doesn't mean a person is a better actor, it just means it costs more to get that "name" attached to a work. It's designed to sell more product and often, as I have seen, it doesn't exactly help, particularly with anime fans (who really don't care about the dubs as an artform anyway).

Also, it seems ridiculous to me that anyone would think anime VAs do nothing else with their careers, as it is obvious that most of them cannot possibly make a living doing just anime dubs. "Fame" is not a measure of talent, so I don't see why "I never heard of him" is a legitimate argument when dismissing an actor entirely. Yes, dubs could be done better, but I seriously doubt it is the actor's fault in the vast majority of cases. Entertainment work is a profession that involves a lot of people (that's why there are minutes full of credits at the end of every anime episode), changing just the actors (the most expensive people to hire, and mostly because there are so many of them) isn't going to "fix" the problem.

Last edited by Cait on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Also, it seems ridiculous to me that anyone would think anime VAs do nothing else with their careers, as it is obvious that most of them cannot possibly make a living doing just anime dubs.

Yuri Lowenthal was Superman in Legion of Superheroes and Ben Tennison in Ben 10: Alien Force. Pretty sure those gigs paid better than playing Yuri in Kyo Kara Maoh!, with the added bonus of being better performances.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
vapwaazu wrote:
orz
Just... just orz

My general experience has been introducing Sci-Fi fans to anime, so the first Ghost in the Shell movie is the anime of choice.
There was also a Starship Troopers OVA series. Unlike the live-action movie, it kept the powered armor of the novels (see it in the first Daicon short). However, it was mind-numbingly boring. Not as awful as the Lensman movie, but still pretty bad.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
That Junji Ito manga looks really interesting. I wish there was more of his stuff available in English. I was mad when the MUSEUM OF TERROR translations were cancelled--I think it was a mistake to open with TOMIE(which was previously released albeit in incomplete reversed form) then release the books chronologically(as much as I like Ito I think his early art style is somewhat weak.) I consider him one of the best modern horror writers, regardless of medium.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
The jewel of my collection is undoubtedly the entire original singles set of FullMetal Alchemist, complete with all three collector's tins.

A close second would be the Limited Complete Collection of Wolf's Rain w/soundtrack that I got for $30 on ebay. Very Happy
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
The Junji Ito manga letter made me laugh, because I picked up the same volume (albeit in Chinese) and a few other Junji Ito volumes (some manga about high schoolers dying in the fog) while I was in Taiwan. I made it a point to try to find his work and when I finally found one in the local manga store, I was ecstatic. Hellstar Lemina is a good manga, but I still think Uzumaki is his best work that I've read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
So called jewel of my vast collection? I'd have to say my originial Dirty Pair tv series R2 dvds that I paid a small ransom for and the Maze tv collection.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
I think the perfect "gateway" anime is Fullmetal Alchemist, because:

- it immediately kills the notion that anime is for kids (look at the opening scene, of all things. And then by the time they've reached episode 7......)
- has a good mix of action, comedy, and romance
- a well-developed and intriguing story
- excellent dub/sub cast, animation, and music

Even though Bebop is my #1 anime (FMA's #2), I don't consider it a good starter, because:

A: the episodic nature might turn some people off, and
B: I think it's best to watch some anime before you watch Bebop and its spoiler[hard-hitting emotional ending]. Some people might not be fully prepared for that, and be pissed at you for introducing them to anime that way. Once they've already seen some anime and know that it can be emotionally moving, then they'll be ready for Bebop.

Though, it's not as bad as introducing someone to anime movies with Grave of the Fireflies. I remember hearing someone suggest that a few months back, and I thought, "well, if you want that friend to hate your guts for making them go into depression for several weeks......".
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
The first series that I would use to introduce people to anime would be Death Note, even though my opinion of the series is lower than it was before. Even with its excessive melodrama, it really does provide you with a gripping storyline when you watch it for the first time, though you might find yourself rolling your eyes when you re-watch it.

The 2nd series I would use would probably be some anime that's been heavily inspired by Western culture. So it would be between: Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
minakichan wrote:
Quote:
Oh, there's lots. You overlooked the wonderful and obvious Gankutsuou, and the mostly-OK Romeo X Juliet.

Since when are Le Comte de Monte Cristo or Romeo and Juliet american?

I was going to say the same xD But in fact Brian seems to have answered the question as "based on western novels".

But you forgot Witchblade and the World Masterpiece Theater-Series, which today might belong to the "buried treasure" category, but is still getting new series right now as well (Les Miserables and another Anne of Green Gables-series, maybe more to come)

Thank you on both counts. One for getting people to stop point out that the above titles were meant in a Western sense and one for bringing up Witchblade. Witchblade is much better than what some give it credit for. Sure the scantily clad women fighting is what is on the surface, but it really takes a back seat to the mother and child relationship. Good series overall.

I'm also glad that Brian pointed out the sizable hurdles that are involved in the dubbing process. If anything it's getting harder since people are expecting products faster and sales aren't exactly good.
shas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
My general experience has been introducing Sci-Fi fans to anime, so the first Ghost in the Shell movie is the anime of choice.
There was also a Starship Troopers OVA series. Unlike the live-action movie, it kept the powered armor of the novels (see it in the first Daicon short). However, it was mind-numbingly boring. Not as awful as the Lensman movie, but still pretty bad.

I thought this was a pretty interesting thing - the DAICON III intro I believe predates the Starship Troopers OAV by about seven years, but there is a disturbing similarity between the powered armour of the OAV and the enemy mecha in the DAICON III movie.

The only way I could see this happening (short of Sunrise copying the design seven years later.. which I'd like to think is unlikely) is that the artwork that influenced the OAV was apparently (according to wikipedia) produced in the "early 80s" - whether that's before the DAICON III movie was made I don't know - but perhaps it was that artwork which influenced its inclusion in the movie.

[back on topic]

My most prized possession is probably the Samurai X boxed edition of the OAVs and film - while I'm not a fan of the second OAV series and I've yet to watch the film, the presentation is (in my opinion, at least) really nice and it looks nice on my shelf. Was worth paying what I paid (far too much), if only for the Trust and Betrayal OAVs (which in my opinion is one of the best OAV series I've seen).

It's not particularly rare, but then I've only really been watching anime since last september (thanks to my university animesoc).. and I don't know about introducing others, but the manga and anime series that served best to introduce me to the medium was that of Genshiken.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

The banner: Whoever wins that contest, they should ideally call him New Answerman

Or Answerman : The Search For Vengeance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6